October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
21 Aug 2014 06:39 - 21 Aug 2014 06:41 #185577 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I have a copy of that expansion but I've only played the base game like twice... the expansion seems like more of a "experienced players" thing.

Did you play with the alternate versions of all characters and whatnot? Maybe that IS the dice bit, I don't remember. Don't you have like secret choices on which to take or something?
Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 06:41 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2014 06:52 #185579 by repoman
There are alternate cards for all the fellowship but other than the Gandalf one, which allows for the use of the white/red action die, I didn't use them. I figured there was enough new stuff to track with the rings and dice.

I'd agree the expansion is for people more familiar with the game. I think much of it brings it in line with 1st ed. or the collectors edition. Galadriel and the Balrog in particular.

Josh still misses the amphibious attack ability of Umbar and the siege engines (which I despise) from the collectors ed. which are not part of this expansion.

More
21 Aug 2014 08:08 #185580 by Legomancer
Played Boss Monster, which I picked up for cheap. There's a decent game in there somewhere but as it is there just isn't much you can do most of the time. Some rules tweaks might make it better, but I already have plenty of games that don't need me to fix them.

Then Thunder Alley. That really is a quality race game. I like Formula D(e) but the size and length make it difficult to get out. Thunder Alley has a more immediate feel for the race in a fraction of the time. Hoping to get a lot more plays of that.

More
21 Aug 2014 09:24 #185588 by ThirstyMan

Michael Barnes wrote:
Anyone that beats the extreme "immersion, narrative, complexity, length, investment, depth" drum needs to stop. You want all that, you only need to own two games and then you can drop off of the forums:

1) Dungeons and Dragons
2) Advanced Squad Leader

Magic Realm if you want to go three. Maybe with a couple of kickers of some of GMT's top flight games like Navajo Wars or the COIN titles, maybe Up Front.

Utter bollocks. Nothing wrong with beating the drum for immersion and narrative if that's what floats your boat. I do agree though, the games you mentioned (bar MtG which I hate with a passion) are probably more than enough to get some depth. Might add Fields of Fire and maybe some OCS (fuck it, I'm a wargamer we live for narrative) but that would be it for me. So why do I have other games?.........clearly so I can talk knowledgeably with you assholes about those games.

I have decided that, far from being a social gamer, I am far more comfortable playing with myself (fnarr, fnarr). No rules arguments, no problem if I get tired etc etc. Being a bad loser doesn't matter, flipping the table doesn't come into it. Most of all, I really like my company, the witty humour, the shots of scotch and the sitting in my underpants.

Given the above, 5 minute games are a fucking waste of my valuable time. Don't need a filler game because I'm never late....

Life is good
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, Msample, Rafael Silva

More
21 Aug 2014 10:13 #185591 by Msample

repoman wrote: There are alternate cards for all the fellowship but other than the Gandalf one, which allows for the use of the white/red action die, I didn't use them. I figured there was enough new stuff to track with the rings and dice.

I'd agree the expansion is for people more familiar with the game. I think much of it brings it in line with 1st ed. or the collectors edition. Galadriel and the Balrog in particular.

Josh still misses the amphibious attack ability of Umbar and the siege engines (which I despise) from the collectors ed. which are not part of this expansion.

Yeah, I'd say LoME is more for experienced players. That said, I've got about three dozen plays of the base game in and it still has fresh things to offer. I've played LoME once so far - it is a lot less "stuff" added on than Battles of the Third Age was to first edition, and seems to be better balanced.

More
21 Aug 2014 10:17 #185592 by Black Barney
yeah, same here I am nowhere near tired of base game yet. Still don't feel the need for expansions. Last thing I need is a more balanced game too. I need my wife to win a game for her to keep wanting to play.

More
21 Aug 2014 13:10 #185602 by Michael Barnes
Andy, my point is that folks that beat that drum DON'T go play the games that really do have all that...as a wizened, elderly grognard you of all people should be able to tell these youngsters that hardcore wargames are where all that stuff exists 24/7/365. Don't sit here and talk to me about theme/immersion/narrative/etc. when you're playing the latest Days of Wonder game. Go play Navajo Wars and games like that and you'll have something to compare it to. An entirely different kind of thing.

I like both kinds of games, but I also understand that the design goal of Navajo Wars is something very different than the design goal of Love Letter.

More
21 Aug 2014 14:53 - 21 Aug 2014 14:58 #185606 by dragonstout

ThirstyMan wrote: I do agree though, the games you mentioned (bar MtG which I hate with a passion) are probably more than enough to get some depth.

You got me all excited, I thought MtG was being discussed and I'd missed it, but you were just leading me on.

ldsdbomber wrote: boardgamegeek.com/image/1540923/dond80?size=original

ND I get, but what is "LD"?
Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 14:58 by dragonstout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, ThirstyMan

More
21 Aug 2014 15:46 #185611 by VonTush

dragonstout wrote:

ldsdbomber wrote: boardgamegeek.com/image/1540923/dond80?size=original

ND I get, but what is "LD"?

I'm trying to figure that one out myself. Limited Decision?
When holding the Countess and King more often than not I think it makes sense to play the other cards you have.

More
21 Aug 2014 16:42 #185616 by Gary Sax

Msample wrote:

repoman wrote: There are alternate cards for all the fellowship but other than the Gandalf one, which allows for the use of the white/red action die, I didn't use them. I figured there was enough new stuff to track with the rings and dice.

Yeah, I'd say LoME is more for experienced players. That said, I've got about three dozen plays of the base game in and it still has fresh things to offer. I've played LoME once so far - it is a lot less "stuff" added on than Battles of the Third Age was to first edition, and seems to be better balanced.

I was actually super impressed with the Lords of Middle Earth expansion package, even if I haven't played it yet. It seems like the perfect expansion for someone who knows something about the game---not a fix or anything like that, but an actual expansion of your options. And modular, something I tend to like about expansions that aren't introducing a completely new element.

More
21 Aug 2014 17:03 #185620 by Msample
Yes, good point about the modularity. We only played with the new minor characters/action dice, we did not use the alternate Fellowship starting positions.

More
21 Aug 2014 18:10 #185624 by bomber
Dominant Species tonight, 4P
I think on the whole I've no interest in playing it again, pretty much all of the criticisms I've read are spot on, too long, too lacking in control or ability to really plan anything, and that's not a good combo. Its kind of clever in some ways but its another one that collapses under its own weight. El Grande pisses on this from a very, very great height indeed. Just way too much information to meaningfully process in any relevant way and in any sustainably interesting way. Probably would have been better without all the elements and dominance cone bollocks and hacked down to a leaner, meaner core. Upkeep is definitely a ballache as well.
Not impressed.

More
21 Aug 2014 23:23 #185626 by Sagrilarus
Eight player game of RoboRally with the extended family on vacation tonight. One seriously huge pile of robots trying to occupy the same space. No doubt, the game is better with more players. The nieces and nephews loved it.

Richard Garfield's best design hands down.

S.

More
21 Aug 2014 23:31 #185628 by Sagrilarus

Space Ghost wrote: Played more Thunder Alley last night. It was a very dramatic finish; I thought I had it all wrapped up, but my last hand was all draft cards and my opponent cut in front of me -- all I could do was push them over the finish line. I lost 232 - 226 (it was a two player game).

While I'm not big into games "firing" other games, I am pretty sure that I am going to unload Moto Grand Prix now. I can't ever imagine playing this again.

I'm liking Moto Grand Prix a little more each time I play it, Thunder Alley a little less. My plan is to trade off Thunder Alley this Fall after my group has gotten another shot at it, trying to pick up something good during its scarcity.

S.

More
22 Aug 2014 02:23 #185640 by Space Ghost

Sagrilarus wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: Played more Thunder Alley last night. It was a very dramatic finish; I thought I had it all wrapped up, but my last hand was all draft cards and my opponent cut in front of me -- all I could do was push them over the finish line. I lost 232 - 226 (it was a two player game).

While I'm not big into games "firing" other games, I am pretty sure that I am going to unload Moto Grand Prix now. I can't ever imagine playing this again.

I'm liking Moto Grand Prix a little more each time I play it, Thunder Alley a little less. My plan is to trade off Thunder Alley this Fall after my group has gotten another shot at it, trying to pick up something good during its scarcity.

S.

I like Moto Grand Prix -- I get frustrated that the bikes little ball gets loose and the bikes won't stay leaning properly. I also feel like the dice spinning can really induce AP in some people.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 5.084 seconds