October 09, 2023
2574 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2771 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to? ARCHIVE

More
03 Sep 2009 17:16 #40335 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
If I'm not mistaken that was the tour with Sacrifice. Too bad they never come over here anymore. Motorhead is in town tonight and I'm thinking of going, they put on a hell of a show last September.
The topic has been locked.
More
03 Sep 2009 21:20 - 03 Sep 2009 21:25 #40358 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I am going to from a bit left-field here, but I have been listening to the best of Emerson, Lake and Palmer this week. While not the perfect band for any occasion they have their place. If you have just watched some b-grade sci-fi from the 70's like 'Logan's Run' or 'Death Race 2000' and you are just chilling afterwards with a few beers then Emerson, Lake and Palmer is the perfect movie for this occasion. All those sci-fi soundtracks rom those 70's films were trying to imitate the iconic sound of Emerson,Lake and Palmer, and while the trio rarely rises above the low standards of their imitators they can be really fun to listen to.

I would find it hard to get a more Ameritrash album cover than this:

And so I present 'Fanfare for the Common Man', The perfect song for a game of Cosmic Encounter (or some other trashy sci-fi game):

As an aside to this, my wife ended up in Ft Worth, Texas a month ago and her first free hour was spent not going to see cowboys or go bootscooting or some other iconic Texan thing, but to go to the fountain used as the entrance to the city in Logan's Run. I think that sums up very succinctly why I married her.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2009 21:25 by Ancient_of_MuMu.
More
03 Sep 2009 22:28 - 04 Sep 2009 00:18 #40362 by MattFantastic
Bad Brains are always in rotation around here.

I've been jamming this band Anamanaguchi a lot lately. Fast indie rock with Nintendo chips instead of keyboards.

Also, if you dig ENT or anything remotely like it, you have to be into Tragedy. Vengeance is one of my all time favorite records...

And despite the badness of most jersey wearing thug bands, you can't deny that Hatebreed's Satisfaction is the Death of Desire is a pinnacle of pissed off shredding. How do you feel about the Cro Mags?
Last edit: 04 Sep 2009 00:18 by MattFantastic.
More
03 Sep 2009 22:35 - 03 Sep 2009 23:26 #40364 by Merkles
Replied by Merkles on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
listening to:

Al Hirt Plays Bert Kampfert. Oh yeah...

Lyle Lovett (various albums)

Asleep at the Wheel (Bob Wills style music)

Best of Nat King Cole

Squeeze: Hits

Bob Dylan (Various)

Just listened to the Dan Reeder songs posted previously---great stuff!
Last edit: 03 Sep 2009 23:26 by Merkles.
More
03 Sep 2009 23:46 #40373 by Ancient_of_MuMu
MattLoter wrote:

Edit #1: how the fuck do you make videos or at least links to such work on this board software? Am I a total moron?

Just put the strait url in the post with no tags around it.
More
04 Sep 2009 00:18 #40378 by MattFantastic
Well shit, that's easy. Thanks.
More
04 Sep 2009 01:24 #40384 by vandemonium
Michael Barnes wrote:

I love it when this thread resurfaces...

Right now, I'm all about American hardcore. And not this post-Slayer hoodlum shit played by bald guys in basketball jerseys. Government Issue, SSD, Void, Kraut, 45 Grave, Bad Brains, Husker Du, early Social D, Christ on Parade, Negative Approach, SOA, Bad Religion before they became terrible...this is all I'm listening to these days.

I can't imagine suburban kids today getting that angry or motivated enough to start bands anymore. Now it's turn on the Xbox, tweet away, and watch Adult Swim to express the pain and sadness of adolescence and the hopelessness of suburban America. Sad, really.

Social D. One of my favorite bands ever. I actually like all their stuff and Mike's solo albums as well.
More
04 Sep 2009 01:55 #40388 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
Alice in Chains & Cannibal Corpse tonight...
More
04 Sep 2009 14:00 #40485 by vandemonium
Pat II wrote:

Alice in Chains & Cannibal Corpse tonight...

No shit! I have been absolutely blown away at how they sound like themselves with the new singer. Let us know how it was. I saw them at the State Theatre in Detroit - probably one of the last shows I ever saw there...

Looking forward to hearing the entire new album.
More
04 Sep 2009 14:06 #40488 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
On the way to work the other day I thought I should get back into Mr. Bungel so I ordered "California" on itunes and have been listening to it for a few days now. Awesome album. This band jumps genre's at a blindly fast pace but this album is more cohesive then others and a great starting point for people who want ot get into them.

Mike Patton is a great singer, I especially like his work with John Zorn... the song on the end of the re-issue of Zorn's Eninno Morricone album is brilliant.
More
04 Sep 2009 20:30 #40515 by beuks33
Replied by beuks33 on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
Working through Tricky's older stuff. The more I listen to the mid to late '90's stuff it occurs to me like they (as in the musical industry collective) were working towards a sort of electro rock ideal. Never seemed to reach it though. Everything just got empty and I got too old to connect with what the kids were listening to.
More
04 Sep 2009 21:58 #40518 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
Ronald Jenkees

I've been having a hard time listening to anything lately, because once I turn on one of this dude's songs, I end up listening to his stuff for hours.
More
06 Sep 2009 04:41 #40577 by moss_icon
Michael Barnes wrote:

I can't imagine suburban kids today getting that angry or motivated enough to start bands anymore.

there is plenty of angry, interesting, fucked up hardcore out there on labels like parts unknown, criminal iq and fashionable idiot if you're interested.
More
07 Sep 2009 11:45 #40660 by BradHB
Replied by BradHB on topic Re:The F:AT Listening Room
The build up to Halloween has sent me off on a Psychobilly bender. Lots of The Meteors, The Cramps, The Sharks, King Kurt, The Gazmen...plus some Stray Cats, Brian Setzer Orchestra and Rev. Horton Heat for good measure.
More
07 Sep 2009 12:39 #40664 by Shellhead
BradH wrote:

The build up to Halloween has sent me off on a Psychobilly bender. Lots of The Meteors, The Cramps, The Sharks, King Kurt, The Gazmen...plus some Stray Cats, Brian Setzer Orchestra and Rev. Horton Heat for good measure.

I love that kind of stuff. I heard a decent early psychobilly song earlier today and jotted it down:

Haulin' Hearse, by the Ghastly Ones, from the album A-Haunting We Will Go-Go
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds