October 09, 2023
2584 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2781 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
18 Feb 2016 16:11 #222783 by Erik Twice
I watched two more movies:

The Big Lebowsky: Even though it has an increasingly complex plot, this is not a film about anything in particular. Rather, it's more about an attitude, a way of seeing life than anything else. Which I think is really interesting and fun but, sadly, I don't think I'm the audience for this. I was left a bit...confused, not feeling I quite got the film. I had a similar experience with Fargo which I attributed to me not understanding its very American context but it might be I just don't get Cohen Brother films. Kind of a shame, really.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: This is another film with a complex, flip-flopping plot except this one is full of flashbacks, flashfowards, illusions and dreams, none of which are meant to be followed literally. It's more about vignettes or small scenes that give up a full picture of a very human relationship and by human I mean "flawed" because everyone is incredibly flawed in this movie if not outright fucked up! The entire opening of the film is a continuous stream of red flags and danger signs yet by the end of the film you feel things might be worthwhile despite all those problems and baggage. It's kind of easy to empathize with it, actually, because we have all been like that at some point of our lives.

Fairly depressing film though, Carrey looks like he's going to hang himself at any given moment and while there's humour and love the pessimistic undercurrent is massive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2016 16:29 #222786 by OldHippy

Black Barney wrote:

boothwah wrote: . If I wanted high brow cinema I'd go the art show crap they run on Saturdays.

lol "high brow crap"!

You're the second person in 24 hours that took an unsolicited swipe at "art" movies in their review of Deadpool. Hilarious.

I think there is a reason that crapping on art movies happens so often. If a comedy is bad.. no big deal, we kind of expect that. A bad horror movie... eh, that's ok too. Even an action movie or romantic comedy if they're badly done there is still an audience and a place for that.

But a bad art film... that's the worst thing possible. A good or great art film can be better than anything but when they stink good fucking lord do they stink. It's because they reach so high that they have the chance to sink so low (hey! who let Bono use my fucking keyboard!!).

More
18 Feb 2016 16:34 - 18 Feb 2016 16:35 #222789 by Black Barney
I agree that bad comedies can be ok, but I think nothing is worse than a bad action movie or a bad horror movie. Those two genres REALLY make you suffer if it's not good. I think bad horror is the worst though cuz they basically give up on even trying to act. So if you're not scared, you're watching a bunch of randoms doing nothing worth watching.

Who sees bad art movies anyway? The only reason you would ever see an art movie over something mainstream is cuz EVERYONE is talking about it. You don't gamble on art movies.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2016 16:35 by Black Barney.

More
18 Feb 2016 16:36 #222790 by OldHippy

Black Barney wrote: You don't gamble on art movies.

Where were you in my twenties?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
19 Feb 2016 10:08 #222830 by Shellhead

Gregarius wrote: I love The Limey. I agree with your observations except one: I have and will enjoy watching it more than once.

It's supposed to have a legendary commentary track, where Soderberg and the screenwriter really get at each other, but I have yet to see it with that audio track on.

I got through two thirds of a second viewing last night, this time with the commentary track on. It's definitely memorable. Starts out in the middle of an ongoing conversation with the writer loudly swearing, and both guys talking about technical difficulties happening right then during the recording of their commentary. Things settle down after a while, but from time to time, the writer starts getting really worked up again about parts of his script that were left out of the movie. Apparently there was more character work for the other characters, even the hitmen. Soderbergh opted to leave most of that out because he wanted to focus more on the protagonist. But the writer can't quite let it go, especially since the few negative reviews of the movie tended to say that the script was underwritten. Soderbergh stays pretty calm, but the writer sometimes raises his voice and swears about their artistic differences.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Gregarius

More
19 Feb 2016 10:18 #222831 by Jexik
Saw Deadpool on Sunday and liked it a ton the first time. Saw it second time on Wednesday and most of my loud laughs were replaced with smiles. I caught a few lines and visual gags that had zipped by me the first time, but it was much less enjoyable. I kind of wished I just saw it the once since it left such an impression with me that night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, JEM

More
19 Feb 2016 12:02 #222844 by Gregarius

Erik Twice wrote: I watched two more movies:

The Big Lebowsky: Even though it has an increasingly complex plot, this is not a film about anything in particular. Rather, it's more about an attitude, a way of seeing life than anything else. Which I think is really interesting and fun but, sadly, I don't think I'm the audience for this. I was left a bit...confused, not feeling I quite got the film. I had a similar experience with Fargo which I attributed to me not understanding its very American context but it might be I just don't get Cohen Brother films. Kind of a shame, really.

Big Lebowski is one of my all-time favorites, but I totally get how people don't care for it.

A lot of the "lack of plot" comes from the whole noir detective genre. If you're interested, The Big Sleep with Humphrey Bogart is a great place to start, then The Long Goodbye with Elliot Gould is a remake/satire of that, which then leads into Big Lebowski. However, you don't need to know any of that to just appreciate the goofiness of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
20 Feb 2016 07:59 #222887 by Legomancer
Watched 1776, first one on my 2016 Movies to Watch list. It's a lot of fun, but the songs are real clunkers.

More
20 Feb 2016 08:27 #222888 by KingPut

Legomancer wrote: Watched 1776, first one on my 2016 Movies to Watch list. It's a lot of fun, but the songs are real clunkers.

I liked 1776 but on my playlist I have Hamilton followed by 1776. 1776 sounds so dated vs. Hamilton that I can't listenn too it.

More
20 Feb 2016 08:32 #222889 by KingPut

Jexik wrote: Saw Deadpool on Sunday and liked it a ton the first time. Saw it second time on Wednesday and most of my loud laughs were replaced with smiles. I caught a few lines and visual gags that had zipped by me the first time, but it was much less enjoyable. I kind of wished I just saw it the once since it left such an impression with me that night.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Scott Pilgram and even Speed Racier I laughted more the 2 and 3 viewing then then1st. I walked out of Deadpool thinking, yeah that was fun and enjoyable but I can careless if I ever see this or Deadpool 2 ever again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.653 seconds