October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
25 Aug 2016 11:15 #232785 by ChristopherMD
I watched Galaxy Quest again last night. This movie just gets better with age. So many great lines and even the weakest actor (you know who) did a great job. Easily my favorite Alan Rickman role too. By Grabthar's Hammer... ... ...what a savings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2016 12:52 #232798 by R.P.Kraul

Gary Sax wrote: Do you think that Kylo Ren is really supposed to be scary in the way Darth Vader is (e.g. mysterious and dangerous)? I didn't think the movie was trying to communicate that beyond the first 1/2.

He was scary in a volatile sort of way. They could have saved the unmasking for the bridge confrontation. This would also make the scene with Rey stronger--if he refuses her request, he becomes a stronger, more defiant character. Instead, he went from volatile and sinister to something along the lines of an Austin Powers villain. I still like the movie, but what a missed opportunity.

More
25 Aug 2016 12:55 #232799 by Gary Sax

Mad Dog wrote: I watched Galaxy Quest again last night. This movie just gets better with age. So many great lines and even the weakest actor (you know who) did a great job. Easily my favorite Alan Rickman role too. By Grabthar's Hammer... ... ...what a savings.

Great movie, watch every year or so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
25 Aug 2016 14:38 #232811 by Columbob

Black Barney wrote: Gary, no I don't think they wanted Kylo Ren is be scary and mysterious beyond the first half of the movie, and that's what I'm trying to say was a mistake, screenwriting-wise. You need a good villain.

Ah, but he's not really the villain, is he? He's the redeemable/salvageable one.

More
25 Aug 2016 15:15 #232815 by quozl
When Darth Vader was redeemed, it was memorable because he was so bad. If Kylo Ren gets redeemed, will anyone care?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Varys

More
25 Aug 2016 15:21 #232817 by Gary Sax

More
25 Aug 2016 16:26 #232818 by Black Barney
he hasn't even done anything that bad yet! He struck down who again, Max Van Sydow? That guy was 3 glasses of warm blue milk away from not waking up anyway.

More
25 Aug 2016 16:28 #232819 by ChristopherMD

Black Barney wrote: he hasn't even done anything that bad yet!.

Han Solo disagrees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Gary Sax, bfkiller, Black Barney

More
25 Aug 2016 16:31 #232820 by R.P.Kraul

Columbob wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Gary, no I don't think they wanted Kylo Ren is be scary and mysterious beyond the first half of the movie, and that's what I'm trying to say was a mistake, screenwriting-wise. You need a good villain.

Ah, but he's not really the villain, is he? He's the redeemable/salvageable one.

Like Vader, he's an obstructionist character. The villain would be the giant CGI baby.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Aug 2016 17:26 #232821 by SebastianBludd

Mad Dog wrote: I watched Galaxy Quest again last night. This movie just gets better with age. So many great lines and even the weakest actor (you know who) did a great job. Easily my favorite Alan Rickman role too. By Grabthar's Hammer... ... ...what a savings.

Sam Rockwell's reading of the line, "Look around you. Can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe?" gets me every time.

Apparently the movie started out R-rated but was toned down before release. As a matter of fact, when Sigourney Weaver's and Tim Allen's characters first see the smashers on their way to the reactor core, Sigourney clearly says, "Fuck that!" but they overdubbed it to "Screw that!"

More
25 Aug 2016 18:12 #232823 by Ancient_of_MuMu
5 days ago I smashed my ankle (while watching kids soccer in a crowded rain shelter I had an awkward unbalanced blind step out into a 2 foot drop) so have been at home sleeping and watching movies.

Conan the Barbarian and Escape from New York: I have no idea why these are regarded as such AT classics. I find them both too slow and too dull to be enjoyable.

The Force Awakens: I had forgotten how good this is over the last few months when I had focused too much on the flaws when remembering it.

Moneyball and Margin Call: Normally I prefer a good sci-fi over drama, but these two have been the films I enjoyed the most over the last few days.

The World According to Garp: I watched this as a 17 year old and didn't see why some people loved it, so thought that maybe now many years later as an adult I would get it. But no, I just can't work this film out. It doesn't have a plot or a point. It feels like the adaptations of the first Harry Potter or Ender's Game where they put in the key moments of the book but somehow missed the tone and feel.

The Colour of Magic: The BBC adaptation of the Terry Pratchett novel was ok, I ended up sleeping through a big chunk of the second half but don't feel an urgent need to go and rewatch what I missed. I much preferred the adaptation of Going Postal.

More
25 Aug 2016 20:00 #232826 by Black Barney
Yeah, we all had expectations when we watched Force Awakens the first time. It's fun rewatching movies when those expectations are gone.

Moneyball holds up so well. I adore that movie.

I just rewatched Sin City for the first time in years and enjoyed it more than I thought I would have. "I can only express bewilderment bordering on alarm." lol, love that line

More
25 Aug 2016 21:18 - 25 Aug 2016 23:46 #232827 by Mr. White

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: Conan the Barbarian and Escape from New York: I have no idea why these are regarded as such AT classics. I find them both too slow and too dull to be enjoyable.

This is why we can't have nice movies...

The pace of these films allow them to develop their rich settings and unique characters.

When we allow characters to actually interact, besides just punch each other, we pick up on side comments like the fact that Snake flew the gullfire over Leningrad. He's all they've got! Quiet moments allow us to focus on the killer, minimalist John Carpenter score. Kurt Russell evoke's his best Clint Eastwood against Lee Van Cleef with Issac Hayes waiting in the wings. The Duke, man! A-Number one! The Brain (Harry Dean Stanton) was part of Snake's crew with Fresno Bob (who didn't make it out of Kansas City...). We've also got Ernest Borgnine, Donald Pleasence, and Adrienne Barbeau getting time because this movie isn't a shaky cam, cgi fest. There's room to breathe and and take in this world.

Conan is the same. I mean, Conan gets his strength from years on the Wheel of Pain and his martial prowess from Asian masters. He traverses land on foot with his buddy talking about their gods and having laughs. The pacing allows the awesome Basil Poledouris score to evoke emotion and tone. Had this movie been an action fest, the score would be drowned out and lost, the characters nothing but center points to action pieces.

I guess the upside is they make plenty of movies for people who don't like their movies to have solid stories, iconic characters, and fantastic scores. Here's one...
Last edit: 25 Aug 2016 23:46 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ChristopherMD, Columbob, Gregarius

More
25 Aug 2016 21:41 #232828 by trif

SebastianBludd wrote:

Sam Rockwell's reading of the line, "Look around you. Can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe?" gets me every time.

Apparently the movie started out R-rated but was toned down before release. As a matter of fact, when Sigourney Weaver's and Tim Allen's characters first see the smashers on their way to the reactor core, Sigourney clearly says, "Fuck that!" but they overdubbed it to "Screw that!"

Tony Shaloub's character was meant to be stoned through the whole film
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
25 Aug 2016 22:25 #232829 by metalface13
I watched Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice last week. What a dreadful movie. Way too long, takes itself way too seriously and the editing is just generally confusing all over the place. Granted I didn't watch Man of Steel but I had to do a lot of guesswork for a lot of Superman scenes. Batman and Superman are so infuriated and hate each other for the exact same reason: the other guy works outside the laws/morals of mankind and thinks they have impunity for their actions. And then they stop fighting because
Warning: Spoiler!

Warning: Spoiler!

What a waste of time. I'd rather watch Escape from New York or Conan two times in a row than BvS.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.593 seconds