October 09, 2023
2522 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
01 Apr 2019 09:24 #294818 by Vysetron
Picking up Beta Colony from the FLGS soonish. I like how the dice work and it has remarkably focused scoring for a modern euro. Looking forward to it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2019 09:54 #294819 by Matt Thrower
Didn't sleep well last night, and in the awful grey space between waking and nightmare that is 3am, it felt like a good idea to buy Adeptus Titanicus.

Thankfully I felt better in the morning and didn't do it.

I've done a bang-up job of almost buying things and not doing it because I already have too many games of late. Treasure Island. Quacks of Quedlinburg, and Shadows over Hammerhal all almost got bought over the last few days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Gary Sax, Jackwraith, Frohike, Vysetron

More
02 Apr 2019 09:21 #294869 by Gary Sax
I've been good about pulling back from the brink too, I know the situation you're talking about.

More
06 Apr 2019 03:46 #295070 by san il defanso
I walked into a store here in Manila, and what should I find but a copy of Steam on the shelf, with its price slashed? Since it's unclear whether that game is coming back or not, I snatched it up.

I got it home and realized it was exactly the game I wanted these days. The right level of depth, without tons of rules, nicely produced but not opulent. It feels almost old fashioned to see a game that isn't stretch goals out the wazoo. Really looking forward to revisiting it, I've been hankering for a long time.

I also picked up a game called Pawikan Patrol. It's a Filipino design where the players rescue sea turtles from poachers. (Pawikan is Tagalog for sea turtle.) No idea if it's any good, but I am excited to get a game I can't get anywhere else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
06 Apr 2019 06:19 #295072 by Erik Twice
Nice catch with Steam, it's a fantastic game!

I bought German Railways for 15€ a couple weeks ago. It's a fantastic, fun game. Like other Winsome games, it's incredibly opaque. The core idea of the game is "How can you win when winning deprives you of turns?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
06 Apr 2019 09:16 #295074 by Legomancer

san il defanso wrote: I walked into a store here in Manila, and what should I find but a copy of Steam on the shelf, with its price slashed? Since it's unclear whether that game is coming back or not, I snatched it up.

I got it home and realized it was exactly the game I wanted these days. The right level of depth, without tons of rules, nicely produced but not opulent. It feels almost old fashioned to see a game that isn't stretch goals out the wazoo. Really looking forward to revisiting it, I've been hankering for a long time.

I also picked up a game called Pawikan Patrol. It's a Filipino design where the players rescue sea turtles from poachers. (Pawikan is Tagalog for sea turtle.) No idea if it's any good, but I am excited to get a game I can't get anywhere else.

Playing Steam with the auction is closer to AOS, and it makes things "tougher" but I really prefer the action selection turn order system. I think it brings it in line with the rest of the game and provides interesting decisions of its own.

Enjoy! Steam is an all-time fave of mine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
06 Apr 2019 10:24 #295077 by san il defanso
I've played both versions, and Railroad Tycoon as well. It's been years though. I remember liking Age of Steam more at the time, but 2011 Nate is very different from 2019 Nate and the basic version has a lot of appeal to me now.

To be honest the form factor is appealing too. I sometimes long for the days when games cost $50 and didn't come in boxes the size of shipping pallets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
06 Apr 2019 19:40 #295100 by Colorcrayons
I probably shouldn't add this, but u nearly bought Hellopagos this afternoon. But grim reality dawned on me that I would not likely ever have enough people play it with, to do the game justice.

So I sighed, gingerly placed it back on the shelf, envious of the person who does buy it and would be able to enjoy it.

More
06 Apr 2019 23:43 - 07 Apr 2019 02:07 #295103 by Frohike
I'm curious to see what Kevin Wilson is bringing to the D&D Adventure System, so I'm picking up Waterdeep – Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

Zombicide fatigue has finally kicked in with my group after a few sessions of Green Horde. I thought Massive Darkness was going to be the successor, but it was mostly a disappointing mess. Sword & Sorcery has too much setup & moving parts to enjoy outside of solo or duo play.

I think D&DAS might be something they'll get into, though the 5-player limit is unfortunate (there’s almost always a 6th latecomer).

Also picked up Hellapagos, which sounds like something the group would play repeatedly, much like they’ve done with Resistance: Avalon sessions in the past.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2019 02:07 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, BillyBobThwarton

More
07 Apr 2019 08:49 #295106 by Legomancer
Despite my lukewarm review of it, I bought Neom, a drafting city-building game. I wasn't bowled over by it when I payed, but it's one of the few games I played at Conn Con that I kept thinking about, and I'm weak vs city building games.

Also grabbed the Fountain of Youth expansion for Lost Expedition, a game I really dig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.455 seconds