October 09, 2023
2609 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2808 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOOK(s) are you reading?

More
17 Feb 2015 13:44 - 17 Feb 2015 13:44 #197847 by Joebot

hotseatgames wrote: Reading Soon I Will Be Invincible, which I received from Secret Satan. It's enjoyable, although slow-moving. Seems like it should be about 25% shorter.

I read that. I liked it. The superhero genre is so inextricably linked to the "comic book" format, that to read a superhero prose novel was kind of fun. .

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, by the way! How'd we let this thread die like that?? Does nobody around here do anything except play video games and watch movies??

I just finished The Thousand Names by Django Wexler, which I liked a lot. It's the first book of Wexler's that I've read, and I'll definitely keep an eye on him in the future. It's fantasy, but with a sort of "colonial British Empire" feel to it. I heard it referred to as "flintlock fantasy," which is a stupid fucking term that I will not be using.

I just started 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Only about 50 pages into it so far. Been a while since I dug into a big, meaty SK book.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2015 13:44 by Joebot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2015 15:08 #197857 by Black Barney

Joebot wrote:
I just started 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Only about 50 pages into it so far. Been a while since I dug into a big, meaty SK book.

I LOVED this book. If you can, post updates on how you are finding it once in a while. I really enjoyed it.

More
17 Feb 2015 20:30 #197887 by Gary Sax
Reading a book called "Machine Made: Tammany Hall and the Creation of Modern Politics." It's quite good so far. It tackles the idea that the progressive movement and others have basically slapped the "VERY BAD" label on Tammany Hall clientelism when perhaps it didn't entirely deserve it. It's something I've thought a lot about at work, that in fact vote buying and machine politics are in a twisted way pretty robust expressions of real democracy. And some of the first real expressions of democracy in the United States among otherwise shut out immigrants groups (Irish).

More
18 Feb 2015 09:05 - 18 Feb 2015 09:06 #197912 by iguanaDitty
Recently read
Ancillary Justice which is incredible and deserving of all the accolades it got (basically all of them).Functions at multiple levels, solid writing, and great world-building. SF at its best.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 09:06 by iguanaDitty.

More
05 Apr 2015 18:24 #200361 by Not Sure
Read David Mitchell's The Bone Clocks on a couple of long flights. I think I liked Cloud Atlas much more, but this was a pretty solid book. Multiple perspectives and a shifting timeline, but linear instead of the crazy style-shifting and onion structure.

I'm reading Ancillary Justice now, but only a few chapters in and I've been dead tired every night. Little progress.

More
05 Apr 2015 21:22 #200362 by Scott_F
I just didn't get Ancillary Justice. Normally I love sci-fi books, but that one just put me to sleep every time. Most people seem to like it alot and I think it made some best of literature for lists last year too. Didn't click for me.

More
06 Apr 2015 00:20 #200364 by Tim Champlin
Started reading Consider Phlebas by Ian Banks. I've been meaning to read this book forever. I'm about 100 pages in and really enjoying it. Lots of fun space opera action. Anyone read this? What were your thoughts?

More
06 Apr 2015 01:05 #200366 by Gary Sax
My wife and I are listening to "Sand County Almanac" again right now by Aldo Leopold. One of my favorite books ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
06 Apr 2015 01:54 #200367 by Pugnax555

Not Sure wrote: Read David Mitchell's The Bone Clocks on a couple of long flights. I think I liked Cloud Atlas much more, but this was a pretty solid book. Multiple perspectives and a shifting timeline, but linear instead of the crazy style-shifting and onion structure.

I'm a big fan of David Mitchell and I think the Bone Clocks might be his best one. It changes how every single one of his other books can be viewed since it makes it clear that they really are all interrelated. He's setting up a very vast alternate universe that he plans on playing in for a long while. It should be fun.

Tim Champlin wrote: Started reading Consider Phlebas by Ian Banks. I've been meaning to read this book forever. I'm about 100 pages in and really enjoying it. Lots of fun space opera action. Anyone read this? What were your thoughts?

Iain Banks (with or without the M) is another one of my favorite authors. Personally I felt that Consider Phlebas was one of the weaker Culture novels, but it was still pretty enjoyable. Unlike some of the others there isn't a whole lot of action in it. but then again, it was also one of his first books, and as the first published Culture novel he had a lot of exposition to deal with.

More
06 Apr 2015 09:30 #200377 by Black Barney
my buddy just published his first book, "Turn Right, Turn Left, Repeat" about touring Canada coast-to-coast with his former band. He writes up a little bit about each town, each province, talking up the restaurants and places to play. It's a fun read for Canadians I think.

More
06 Apr 2015 09:43 - 06 Apr 2015 09:43 #200380 by wesbaker
I'm currently working my way through Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy and I'm really enjoying it. I'm currently about halfway through the second book, The Well of Ascension. There's a lot of archetypes at play here: a hero coming from nothingness, but being special; nobility versus peasantry; death of the teacher too early, etc. However, it's got a lot to like: heist style crew; interesting magic systems with fairly clear rules, but still a bit of mystery.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2015 09:43 by wesbaker.

More
06 Apr 2015 09:55 #200381 by iguanaDitty
Finished Protector, thanks Al! Great read. Niven's usual clunky dialogue but the ideas were great and I really enjoyed the aliens.

Ancillary Justice is definitely slow moving but I don't mind that kind of thing. Read its sequel Ancillary Sword which is even more slow moving. Not as good as the first but I enjoyed it none-the-less. Very focused on the problems of one particular planet; that seems to be the author's M.O. I'm not sure if I could enjoy a third book like the second though, I want her to broaden out to the galaxy.

Also enjoyed Falcon, an oldie but Emma Bull. Dated but fun story of swashbuckling and derring-do amongst the stars. The characters talk like it too. Ridiculous but a good yarn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
06 Apr 2015 13:00 #200396 by Cranberries
I've had about five friends recommend Station Eleven , so I've started reading it. It reminds me a little of Orson Scott Card's Folk of the Fringe collection.

More
07 Apr 2015 08:38 #200419 by Rafael Silva
The handmaid's tale. Enjoying it so far

More
24 Jun 2015 20:54 #204901 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What BOOK(s) are you reading?
Well, I love reading book but I rarely get new books. I'm ok with re-reading books. I also favor physical, softcover books over any other formats.

So on my birthday my sister didn't give me anything but instead will reimburse me up to $15 when I buy books. So I ordered "Old Man's War" and "Ghost Brigade" from the Book Depository. And herein lies the weakness of physical books. It took 5 weeks for them to reach me, and I finished reading them in 5 days. But that just shows how much I enjoy them. Entertaining, funny, and not too heavy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds