October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
04 Feb 2016 16:36 #221713 by Black Barney
love that soundtrack to DRIVE, soooo good

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2016 19:26 #221732 by SuperFlySwatter
that stuff sounds a lot like when Tangerine Dream went a bit crap and Airwolfy though, but I agree Drive OST was awesome, my office mate plays that Kavinscky? song all the time.

Have you listened to any classic era (like Virgin years) Tangerine Dream?
Phaedra, Ricochet, Rubycon, Atem, Alpha Centauri, Cyclone, Stratosfear, that stuff was fucking off the chart man. Kraftwerk? They were trying to climb on the shoulders of the giants that were Schulz and Froese
if that stuff is a bit too trippy for you, then Logos, Le Parc, maybe even the soundtracks to Sorceror and The Keep and Thief you might like
theyve done loads of more modern stuff but I never really caught up with them in that era
"Redshift" are the only band that really captured the Virgin era Dream at their best.

I listen to a lot of 90s vocal/baleric trance while commuting. I

More
04 Feb 2016 19:37 #221736 by Michael Barnes
"Phaedra". God damn it, that record. Fucking awesome. Early Tangerine Dream is amazing. I don't really rate them along Kraftwerk though, very different kinds of music.

JJ, maybe you ought to listen to Bowie's "Low"...in addition to it being one of the absolute top shelf, candidate-for-the-best Bowie records, it's probably his most experimental and it has a whole side of ambient, very electronic tracks. Side 1 is poppy, but it's angular art-rock with the last remnants of his funk flirtations meshing with this more Germanic/Eno approach. Even the more traditional arrangements are pretty out there for the time. If you hear only two, make it "Warszawa" and "Always Crashing in the Same Car". Although "Breaking Glass" is my favorite on there. "Don't look on the carpet/I drew something awful on it".

"Heroes" might not be a bad pick for you either, although I think "Low" is much stronger overall (despite "Heroes" being one of the absolute top shelf, candidate-for-the-best Bowie tracks). It also has some of the arty, electronic stuff on it like "V2-Schneider".

"Lodger" is the third Berlin/Eno record and it is more rock oriented. Specifically, it's getting more into new wave. "DJ", you can almost imagine Bowie saying "I want to write a song like Talking Heads". Some folks regard it as something of a misstep, others declare it underrated...I'm sort of in between on that, I like that he was getting back to a rawer rock sound after dabbling in more cutting edge material, but it lacks cohesion. But we're still talking about a 4 1/2 star out of 5 record here, it's not like it sucks.

Likewise, "Scary Monsters" is more new wave rock...but it's from 1979/1980, so it was really right there before new romo and all of that started happening. The ads at the time declared "There's the new wave, and then there's Bowie". It's a great record and it has "Ashes to Ashes"...another absolute top shelf, candidate-for-the-best single.

I actually think you might really like "Blackstar" too...it sounds like a record he would have made if he didn't veer away from "Low" and "Heroes".
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
04 Feb 2016 19:58 #221737 by ChristopherMD
For his albums, Low is easily my favorite. Although practically none of my favorite Bowie songs are on it.

More
04 Feb 2016 20:42 #221741 by Sevej
Somehow youtube played a music I noticed after a slew of random clips.

More
05 Feb 2016 11:02 - 05 Feb 2016 14:18 #221791 by Mr. White

bocaJnoJ wrote: that stuff sounds a lot like when Tangerine Dream went a bit crap and Airwolfy though, but I agree Drive OST was awesome, my office mate plays that Kavinscky? song all the time.

Makes sense. Tangerine Dream and John Carpenter are big influences. However, it does sound to be the 80's era Tangerine Dream moreso than the 70's .So, yeah, Airwolf and Near Dark soundtracks, those sort of thing. 80's movies, commercials, video games, aesthetic, etc. Not so much Kraftwerk either.

Oddly enough, I haven't been able to get into Kavinsky so much besides that one Nightcall track.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2016 14:18 by Mr. White.

More
06 Feb 2016 22:48 #221883 by Shellhead
Found this great old song while looking into an RJD2 song that I liked:

More
12 Feb 2016 16:52 - 12 Feb 2016 16:53 #222333 by Michael Barnes
Many years ago (like 15 or 16) I got really into this NY band called My Favorite. They were sort of ahead of the "retro new wave" thing by a few years, doing some very Smiths/OMD/Go-Betweens-ish stuff. All tragic melodrama, songs about the ghosts of dead teenagers, architects, the anguish of the suburbs and Joan of Arc. Love that stuff. Come to think of it, didn't Arcade Fire do all of the above too?

Anyway, they kind of disappeared after a couple of really great albums ("Love at Absolute Zero" and "The Happiest Days of Our Lives" which is not on Spotify) and I sort of forgot about them. At random, I put on their record the other day and one of the "see also" bands was The Secret History. Come to find out, it was pretty much My Favorite but with a different female singer- Lisa Ronson. That would be that daughter of the late Mick Ronson, Bowie's Spiders from Mars guitarist.

So I listened to their records, "The World That Never Was" in particular, and it's just blown me away. It captures that sense of nostalgic tragedy, those kinds of willfully insufferable odes to the every day apocalypses of teenage life. But it turns out that Lisa Ronson is an awesome singer, and her voice fits these songs perfectly.

Ironically, for being so caught up in youth, it's grown folks music. At least it is now, in 1986 it wouldn't have been. The new wave and British indie influences are still strong, but there's also a little 1960s girl group stuff going on and more glammy rock than what was on the My Favorite records. So it is, in some ways, like comparing the Morrissey records to the Smiths records.

I've barely listened to their second record, but it seems like after 2013 they dropped off the face of the earth.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2016 16:53 by Michael Barnes.

More
13 Feb 2016 09:43 #222360 by Legomancer
I'm sure you've heard people crowing about Hamilton, the Broadway show. I'm here to tell you, yeah, it's that good.

It's the story of Alexander Hamilton, and if you think that's boring, I assure you it's not. The songs vary between rap, R&B, hip-hop, and other areas. They're all amazing, with great rhymes and wordplay. I don't know how much there is in the musical other than the songs, but you can get the entire story from just the soundtrack.

I'm not a Broadway dude. I'm not even much of a rap dude (though I'd like to know more). I can't stop listening to this thing. Seriously, check it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Feb 2016 13:24 #222368 by KingPut
Totally agree with Legomancer on the Hamilton Broadway show sound track. You can down load it on Spotify and other sources. Unfortunately the show tickets are crazy expensive. One of my ring tunes is King George singing "You'll be back". King George sings a song to America that makes him sound like a spoiled boy friend that's been dumped by his girlfriend. Other favorite songs include My Shot, Guns and Ships, and Cabnet Rap Battles between Jeffersonand Hamilton. I'm just finishing the biography of Alexander Hamilton and it's amazing how much of his life they fit into the show.

More
13 Feb 2016 23:22 - 13 Feb 2016 23:23 #222390 by Mr. White
This is the lead track off their recent album

But this is my favorite
Last edit: 13 Feb 2016 23:23 by Mr. White.

More
15 Feb 2016 17:23 #222559 by SuperFlySwatter
never seen one of these before

More
19 Feb 2016 12:24 #222848 by Legomancer
new LUSH

More
19 Feb 2016 12:58 #222852 by Michael Barnes
I'm calling bullshit on that being "new". There is no way that song wasn't recorded in 1991.

More
03 Mar 2016 16:21 #223719 by metalface13
Not sure how I'm just now getting around to listening to Psyence Fiction by UNKLE but 'm glad I am. I think my 18-year-old self would have approved too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds