October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
14 Aug 2017 13:01 #252447 by Shellhead
Watched episodes 3 and 4 of Comrade Detective, and am enjoying the show even more now. It works well as both a straight cop/action show and as a clever satire of American action movies from the '80s. There was some female nudity in both of these episodes, but the women were attractive so I was okay with it. The timeless Bucharest setting helps sell the retro angle, and also gives the show a distinctive appearance. As an atheist, I enjoyed the satirical jabs at Christianity. There were some genuinely surprising plot twists, so I am anxious to watch the final two episodes soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2017 09:15 #252527 by Black Barney
k, so i'm on vacation for another 1.5 weeks and I have access to HBO which I never do. I'm all caught up on Game of Thrones and Last Week Tonight which are probably my favorite shows on HBO. I'm thinking about what to watch next, movies or start a new TV show. We had a discussion in this thread a few weeks back about what the best TV series was of all time. I was making a weak case for Game of Thrones based on Emmy wins as an objective metric (we all know this is totally subjective, but its fun to talk about). Some of you made a strong case for The Wire.

I gave it a good think over and I honestly think that Game of Thrones isn't the best TV series of all time, I think it may be The Sopranos. I don't know of any other show with such fleshed out characters as that one. Some famous TV host (I THINK it was that scottish guy, but I can't remember) said that he purposely avoided ever interviewing any actor that had ever been on the Sopranos (major characters only) cuz he didn't want to ruin it for himself.

So that being said, I think I'm going to make an attempt to rewatch The Sopranos while I'm here. It's probably 100 hours of television and I doubt I'll pull it off, but I've never actually seen all the episodes and I think it's a good idea to watch the whole thing at some point. So I watched Ep 1 of Season 1 last night and enjoyed it, ducks and all. I think I'll go through this over the next year and when I'm done, I'll probably finally get around to watching The Wire.

More
17 Aug 2017 09:31 #252529 by hotseatgames
Sopranos is excellent, but really falls off after season 3.

Shield is a great show, not as good as Wire but more action packed. Some of the writing might not hold up, I'm not sure. But you get to see Walton Goggins.

The first couple of seasons of Sherlock are probably the best television I've ever seen.

Fargo is the best thing I've seen in recent years. All 3 seasons are good, but they get slightly worse as they go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
17 Aug 2017 09:39 #252531 by Grudunza
I think the opposite; that Fargo gets better with each season. Each season is uneven, but they get more original (the first is too close a cop of the film) and more satisfying as a whole. And for me, the first three seasons of Sherlock are fantastic, but the fourth was not great except for the Toby Jones episode.

More
17 Aug 2017 11:35 #252543 by Black Barney
this thing about Sopranos dropping off after Season 3, is that pretty much what everyone thinks? I've only seen about half the episodes randomly and it was always seemed consistently great, but I was never able to follow the season-specific story lines.

More
17 Aug 2017 12:12 #252549 by Gregarius
As long as you have HBO, I strongly recommend The Night Of. It's more of a mini-series than a show, as I think it's only 8-10 episodes with no intentions for another season. It's a crime/legal drama that covers a lot of scary territory.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Black Barney

More
17 Aug 2017 12:14 - 17 Aug 2017 12:15 #252551 by bfkiller
I think the Sopranos becomes less consistent over time, and it lost some of that initial novelty (I think people forget how huge that show was), but there is still plenty of great content each season.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2017 12:15 by bfkiller.

More
21 Aug 2017 09:44 #252743 by the_jake_1973
Watched Season 2 of Last Chance U and a new show, Norsemen.

Norsemen was funny in a Python-esque way, sometimes to the point of being too Holy Grail-ish with the juxtaposition of modern social quandaries in the age of Vikings.

If you like sports documentaries, Last Chance is a decent one to watch.

More
21 Aug 2017 11:01 #252746 by Black Barney
I loved Game of Thrones last night. One scene even got my eyes to well up. A show that evokes that kind of emotion just through dialogue is pretty good. Again, i'm really getting annoyed by the screenwriting for Jorah. "me too'', he keeps saying things that don't sound Westerosi at all or in character. I guess it's cuz Martin hasn't supplied dialogue from the books anymore so we're stuck with uneven screenwriting :(

Still love the show

Finished season one of Sopranos and loved it. On season two now. I havent seen much of this.

More
21 Aug 2017 11:42 #252754 by Joebot

Black Barney wrote: I loved Game of Thrones last night. One scene even got my eyes to well up. A show that evokes that kind of emotion just through dialogue is pretty good. Again, i'm really getting annoyed by the screenwriting for Jorah. "me too'', he keeps saying things that don't sound Westerosi at all or in character. I guess it's cuz Martin hasn't supplied dialogue from the books anymore so we're stuck with uneven screenwriting :(

Still love the show

Yeah, that episode was a lot of fun. I've read some criticism that the show's logic doesn't make sense. Like, the fact that Gendry ran back to the Wall, they dispatched a raven to Dragonstone, and Daenrys arrived at the frozen lake ... all in the span of, what, maybe a day or two?? Eh, in retrospect, I guess that is hard to buy. But in the moment of watching the show, I didn't much care about any of that. This show continues to deliver fantasy spectacle unlike anything ever seen on TV.

I will say that the Arya / Sansa stuff is just all so very dumb. It reminds me a bit of watching Lost, when I would get so frustrated with characters who simply wouldn't ask questions, and share information. To think that Arya and Sansa (and Bran!) wouldn't have a big sit-down and describe all the things they've seen and done since they last saw each other ... it's nonsense. Real people don't act like that. Instead, we get these cryptic non-answers, and muddled conversations where people talk in circles, and it's maddening.

I also started watching The Defenders. I've watched three episodes so far. The two first episodes were a boring slog of exposition, but things starting cooking in the third one. Danny Rand continues to be the worst character, and the worst casting decision in all of the MCU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Black Barney

More
21 Aug 2017 12:46 - 21 Aug 2017 12:54 #252756 by Black Barney
i'll be careful about spoilers here and I'll use spoiler tags for actual spoilers...

Joe, i'm so happy to hear you say that about Arya/Sansa. Those scenes were TERRIBLE. I'm sitting on the recliner, gritting my teeth thinking, "i can't wait to complain about this on F:AT". You're totally right, why haven't they just catched up yet? Neither has any empathy for the other which is nuts. I bet Martin would never have come up with something as shallow as Littlefinger leading Arya to finding a message Sansa wrote under duress. It's just not strong enough of a plot point and is VERY weak. But these screenwriters seem desperate.

Everything north of the wall was excellent. i was actually ok with the time lapse because I think it was supposed to be obvious that the stand off in the middle of the lake was VERY long. Like probably an entire day. The parts that don't add up is Gendry being in a full sprint for that long. He's been breathing fumes in swampbottom (or whatever it's called) for months. Also, why didn't they bring any horses north of the wall? Are they guaranteed to die?

Did you get hit by the emotion of the conversation between Jon and Dany in the second-to-last scene? It hit me like a freight train. i was surprised by how emotional the impact was.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 21 Aug 2017 12:54 by Black Barney.

More
21 Aug 2017 13:44 #252759 by Joebot

Black Barney wrote: i'll be careful about spoilers here and I'll use spoiler tags for actual spoilers...

Joe, i'm so happy to hear you say that about Arya/Sansa. Those scenes were TERRIBLE. I'm sitting on the recliner, gritting my teeth thinking, "i can't wait to complain about this on F:AT". You're totally right, why haven't they just catched up yet? Neither has any empathy for the other which is nuts. I bet Martin would never have come up with something as shallow as Littlefinger leading Arya to finding a message Sansa wrote under duress. It's just not strong enough of a plot point and is VERY weak. But these screenwriters seem desperate.

I think you're right that the whole Sansa / Arya / Littlefinger conflict is something the screenwriters cooked up, simply because they needed SOMETHING for those characters to do. Winterfell is totally isolated from the main action, and there's really nothing going on there.

At this point, Arya is acting so out of character, I'm half-expecting her to be revealed as the Faceless Man priest in disguise. Of course, we'll never know for sure if this was Martin's idea, or the screenwriters' idea, until Martin actually publishes another fucking book, but I'm no longer holding my breath for that.

The Jon and Dany scene near the end was good. Their obvious growing attraction is SUPER awkward, given that we the audience know that they're aunt/nephew, even though the characters don't know that. That's a curious story decision.

Spoilers ...

More
21 Aug 2017 14:18 - 21 Aug 2017 14:19 #252763 by Black Barney
yeah like why doesn't Bran just wheel himself into the room when they're fighting and say, "you're both idiots and not just cuz you're girls" and that's the end of that.

shouldn't they have developed one or two of the redshirts just a BIT so we could feel that loss. Instead it's like a stupid original series episode of Star Trek.

Is Beric the same actor from Season 1 that Ned sends out to give the King's justice to the Mountain? They look totally different.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2017 14:19 by Black Barney.

More
21 Aug 2017 14:30 #252768 by Shellhead
I read the first five books but haven't watched any episodes of AGoT yet, so I really appreciate the use of spoiler tags here. I have heard that there are significant differences between the books and the show. Would it be accurate to say that the quality of the show declined after the first few seasons? Martin is a great writer, and probably significantly better than the writers for the show.

More
21 Aug 2017 14:36 #252771 by Black Barney
this is the first season where I've had problems with the script. There are actual moments in dialogue where I am removed from watching the TV show and my suspension of disbelief is broken. Remember this is a show with dragons and the undead (which NEVER break suspension of disbelief somehow). The show is still excellent though.

i'll be sure to use spoiler tags for anything material, no worries.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.475 seconds