October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Hate the Star Wars prequels? What about a sequel?

More
30 Oct 2012 20:23 #136964 by Erik Twice
abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/disn...7601095#.UJA26G9mKYJ

The best thing will be the improved rererererererererelease of the original films with nicer shinier graphicz and more fart jokes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2012 20:34 #136968 by Michael Barnes
Read carefully. This is great news. Lucas is letting go. Now people who actually give a damn about Star Wars might be able to put a good Star Wars movie together without him writing and directing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B., billyz, MattFantastic, Rliyen, Gary Sax, bomber

More
30 Oct 2012 20:40 #136971 by DukeofChutney
just heard about this on 6 music news.

I'm still in the dubious camp. No Lucas might be a good thing, but Disney spinning as much out of it as possible?

It really depends who they hire as script writer, producer etc.

More
30 Oct 2012 20:43 #136973 by san il defanso

Michael Barnes wrote: Read carefully. This is great news. Lucas is letting go. Now people who actually give a damn about Star Wars might be able to put a good Star Wars movie together without him writing and directing.

This was my first thought. It's pretty obvious we all want more of this universe, and this might be the best-case scenario for what we can get. This could (though might not) be the Star Wars movies we thought we were getting in 1999.

More
30 Oct 2012 20:49 #136975 by Michael Barnes
I cant' see this as anything but a net positive. Lucas was the #1 problem in everything from the re-releases through the prequels. His lack of heart and passion for it shines through, and all that's left are glossy husks that nobody REALLY cares about.

This means that even if Disney churns their big ol' marketing research engines, what's going to come out is going to be a Star Wars product that MOST if not ALL people (and fans) want. The people handling the Lucasfilm property there know about how the prequels are regarded. They are not going to want to follow up on that. They're going to want to continue the original, unsullied brand.

So they need to declare the prequels noncanonical, and get on with it.

As for Disney, I really don't get the hate they draw. Disney has been responsible for some truly great _MAINSTREAM_ entertainment for decades. From Snow White to Tron to the Pixar films. No, they aren't indie mavericks or anything, but nobody does populist, popular entertainment as well as they do. Yeah, they're a giant, frightening corporation that owns like, everything. But at least with things like Star Wars you know that there's going to be money and effort put into what they do with it.

It's not like Star Wars is some indie, esoteric brand that exists outside of the corporate ecosphere...it may as well be Disney,may as well have always been Disney. And now it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax

More
30 Oct 2012 21:13 #136976 by Egg Shen
Yea, but that asshole Lucas is still going to be a "creative consultant" or some bullshit. That neck-beared fool will find a way to screw it all up.

The only possible good news about this is that I'm hoping Disney will re-release the Original Trilogy on Blu Ray in their original un-molested form...like many are clamoring for.

Besides that I could give a shit. I'm done with Star Wars. It's not about creating something that is awesome and needs to be shared with the world. All it is now is a license that it is all about merchandising and making TONS of money. The latest movies feel like you're watching a CG cartoon with people green-screened into the frame. I highly doubt Disney will move away from creating shitty whiz-bang overly done CG spectacle blockbusters. Also, isn't it presumptuous to say they're going to make ANOTHER fucking trilogy? Why not just focus on giving people one movie that doesn't blow ass before losing your focus and trying to pen three separate films in quick succession.

I'm glad to see Lucas let go, but the whole thing doesn't give me any warm fuzzy feelings about Star Wars. Fuck, I'd rather go watch Star Crash...

More
30 Oct 2012 21:26 #136977 by Erik Twice
The chances of Disney releasing the original Star Wars look as good as them releasing the original Fantasia.

I'm kind of a cynic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
30 Oct 2012 21:50 #136979 by OldHippy
I feel like they did a pretty damn good job handling the Marvel franchises and if the Avengers (and the very novel way of leading up to it) movie is any indication then I think Star Wars is in safe hands.

This is good news to me and I look forward to see what they do. Hell, I watched the pre-quels in the theatre even AFTER I knew better so why wouldn't I go watch these. Also... I now have something to look forward to doing with my son as he grows older. Not that there wouldn't be things to look forward to without Star Wars but ya know what I mean... a shared franchise across generations. I like it.

More
30 Oct 2012 21:56 #136980 by bfkiller
I demand a Toy Story 4 with vintage 80s Star Wars toys as characters so I can see Woody riding on the back of an AT-AT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, engineer Al, Fallen, wadenels

More
30 Oct 2012 21:58 #136981 by engineer Al
Loved this Lucas quote:

"It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."

Subtext: "Show me the MONEY"
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jay718

More
30 Oct 2012 22:18 #136982 by Michael Barnes
Tangent since Erik mentioned it...sweet jesus, Fantasia is the most overrated thing in the history of things...what a boring, uninteresting picture with almost nothing compelling or interesting about it. It's like a demo reel for animators. Yeah, the Night on Bald Mountain sequence has some cool stuff and Sorceror's Apprentice is iconic, but the rest of it can take a hike. It's one of those movies that you feel like you're SUPPOSED to like, but who the hell really enjoys watching it?

Yeah, that quote from Lucas is definitely code for "they had a dumptruck full of money", but I do think it says a lot that he's willing to let it go now after clinging so tight to the prequels...no doubt the response he got from them, coupled by the fact that he lost interest in the films and setting in the 1980s and could never escape from underneath it, shows that maybe he at least had the good sense to realize that he needed to move on...or take the money and run, as the case may be.

Even if he has absolutely no involvement in future Star Wars films,there's still a "Characters and Story created by George Lucas" credit on everything, and more dumptrucks full of money that will be delivered.

More
30 Oct 2012 22:41 #136983 by Shellhead
Maybe Lucas can finally give us a proper sequel to American Graffiti.

More
30 Oct 2012 23:14 #136984 by engineer Al

bfkiller wrote: I demand a Toy Story 4 with vintage 80s Star Wars toys as characters so I can see Woody riding on the back of an AT-AT.

Or just re-release an updated version of Toy Story with that part added to the background.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
30 Oct 2012 23:16 - 30 Oct 2012 23:18 #136985 by Michael Barnes
Yep. With Buzz Lightyear retconned to be a clone of Jango Fett and Big Baby replaced by a Jar Jar Binks doll.

Seriously, if I were brand manager of this at Disney, I would hold a big press conference and officially declare that the prequels were non-canonical and that we're getting a big do-over. 47 people that just love Darth Maul would cry, but everyone else would be ecstatic.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2012 23:18 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bomber

More
30 Oct 2012 23:18 #136986 by metalface13
Wow that's a lot of money. Disney now owns Marvel and Star Wars? I bet Dark Horse isn't going to be able to renew their licensed comics when that comes due. That's going to take a big chunk out of their wallet, I assume.

Will Thanos be in this Star Wars sequel?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.542 seconds