October 09, 2023
2617 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2811 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Hate the Star Wars prequels? What about a sequel?

More
31 Oct 2012 09:15 #137009 by Erik Twice

Michael Barnes wrote: It's like a demo reel for animators. Yeah, the Night on Bald Mountain sequence has some cool stuff and Sorceror's Apprentice is iconic, but the rest of it can take a hike. It's one of those movies that you feel like you're SUPPOSED to like, but who the hell really enjoys watching it?

I kind of agree. The problem with Fantasia to me is that it has great segments (The Opening, Nutcracker) and then kitschy shitty segments (Dance of the Hours). But everyone is afraid to say it is that uneven so they try to look for ways to make Disney's obsession with asses look artsy.

However, I respect it, it gave us A Corny Concerto and part of What's Opera Doc? =P
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2012 10:12 #137011 by bomber
It's a licence to print money whether the films are good or shit, so expect Disney to milk it for all it's worth, whether that's good or bad, we'll see. I really hope they get directors on board who understand why the originals were great and why the prequels were shit, and dont throw a thousand special effects, gadgets, characters, stupid plot threads and shite dialogue into it.

Also, there's the Vader question. For me, Vader was star wars. With him gone, and the emperor dead I guess they'll have to either drag in yet another new sith lord, or go in a different direction unless they do something radical like make Luke get pissed off and go dark side (not going to happen). Harrison Ford as an old washed up drunk smuggler could definitely work!

Bottom line, it COULD be a good thing but there's just too much money invested in it and far too much money to milk for me to believe it won't join the long line of "why is this film so retarded" because they'll do whatever sells tickets and for some reason they seem to be scared of not cramming every flashing light and CGI thing in they can these days, whether it adds anything or not.

But, I'll stay in the optimistic camp for now!

More
31 Oct 2012 10:23 #137013 by bomber
PS
fuck me, 4 pages in and nobody even went there. OK, allow me

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman

More
31 Oct 2012 10:32 - 31 Oct 2012 10:35 #137014 by bomber
PS
take this!

I win!

and here's a sequel
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 10:35 by bomber.

More
31 Oct 2012 14:16 #137030 by Disgustipater

Erik Twice wrote: Hate the Star Wars prequels? What about a sequel?

Or the originals?

Yes to all.

More
31 Oct 2012 14:39 #137032 by SuperflyPete

Erik Twice wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: It's like a demo reel for animators. Yeah, the Night on Bald Mountain sequence has some cool stuff and Sorceror's Apprentice is iconic, but the rest of it can take a hike. It's one of those movies that you feel like you're SUPPOSED to like, but who the hell really enjoys watching it?

I kind of agree. The problem with Fantasia to me is that it has great segments (The Opening, Nutcracker) and then kitschy shitty segments (Dance of the Hours). But everyone is afraid to say it is that uneven so they try to look for ways to make Disney's obsession with asses look artsy.

However, I respect it, it gave us A Corny Concerto and part of What's Opera Doc? =P

I love Fantasia. LOVE it. I love the music, I love the animation, everything. It's amazing.

Now, watch it on ACID, and when the flower petals during "spring" fly off the screen and fill the room, when the fairies are dancing around you, THAT'S when you appreciate the fact that Fantasia was designed specifically for viewing on hallucinogens, and that Walt Disney was the biggest counterculture director of all time, and nobody was the wiser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Fallen

More
31 Oct 2012 16:00 #137041 by Grudunza

SuperflyTNT wrote: Now, watch it on ACID, and when the flower petals during "spring" fly off the screen and fill the room, when the fairies are dancing around you, THAT'S when you appreciate the fact that Fantasia was designed specifically for viewing on hallucinogens, and that Walt Disney was the biggest counterculture director of all time, and nobody was the wiser.

But you could watch paint dry on acid and have an illuminating experience.

I agree there are some amazing segments, but not something all that fantastic as a whole. Same with the sequel; I loved the NYC "Rhapsody in Blue" part but the rest was mostly "meh."
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
31 Oct 2012 17:02 - 31 Oct 2012 17:03 #137050 by OldHippy
Surreal music inspired cartoons are always better in short doses which is why Looney Tunes kicks Disneys ass. Same with the Fleischer Bros (especially the early B&W Popeyes). Disney was at their best doing the shorts but even then were not as good as the competition.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 17:03 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
31 Oct 2012 19:50 - 31 Oct 2012 19:52 #137058 by SuperflyPete
One point I wanted to make that actually pertains to Star Wars, and to a degree, Disney. Love or hate Star Wars Prequels, Sequels, TOS or whatever...nobody can say (in honesty) that the score was not one of the best in modern history, all six movies. I mean, holy shit. Great score.

Pair that with Disney's amazing composers, deep ass pockets, and history of putting the music to the movies in a very effective way, and you've got the potential for one hell of a great sounding movie!

Grudunza wrote: But you could watch paint dry on acid and have an illuminating experience.

Uh, no.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 19:52 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
31 Oct 2012 20:54 #137066 by Black Barney
Great news. I'm optimistic. The less Lucas is involved the better, that's the truth. This isn't the same man who made the OT.

Disney doing it is fine too. They can be dark when they want to if it supports a strong narrative.

This piece of news must have made Mark Hamill cum in his pants. The dude's career is nothing. Fisher too.

I just hope Disney doesn't revisit the Ewoks.

With a VERY strong screenwriter and a decent director, this stuff could be amazing.

More
31 Oct 2012 21:47 #137073 by Fallen

Black Barney wrote:
I just hope Disney doesn't revisit the Ewoks.

Cake & eat it too much? Wait... your bride is French right?

More
31 Oct 2012 22:57 #137078 by Grudunza

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Grudunza wrote: But you could watch paint dry on acid and have an illuminating experience.

Uh, no.

Sure you can. But the point is, you can't really judge a film's merits by that standard. If you need acid to make it entertaining, then it's probably not all that entertaining. And certainly Walt Disney intended it for general (non-tripping) audiences, so if it's become forgettable for them (praised though it is, I don't think it's endured all that well), then it's not really that successful a work.

Anyway, I just read somewhere that Lucasfilm has said that SW7 will be a completely original story, not tied into the Thrawn Trilogy or any other existing SW canon beyond the Return of the Jedi. I'm guessing it'll skip a generation, so they can include some of the original actors at their actual age instead of having to recast them. I'm hoping that's the case... I think it'll help tie the series together to have at least a couple of the old-timers in there.

More
01 Nov 2012 00:42 #137083 by engineer Al

Grudunza wrote: I'm guessing it'll skip a generation, so they can include some of the original actors at their actual age instead of having to recast them.

Wow, wouldn't it be cool if Luke was all dark and evil, following in his fathers footsteps?

More
01 Nov 2012 00:48 #137084 by repoman
It's interesting to speculate. What would they be doing 20 years after the end of Return of the Jedi?

Luke: The Sensi of a Jedi school in some remote area. That seems a no brainer as his mission is to bring back the Jedi order.

Leia: Involved in the government in some way, establishing or maintaining the New Republic.

Han Solo: No idea. With Leia a powerful political figure what does Han do. If the Empire shatters like Alexander's upon his death, I suppose he could still be a warrior of some type.

Chewbacca: Living on Han and Leia's couch?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
01 Nov 2012 03:25 #137089 by crumbb
WRT Fantasia: If you hated Fantasia you might try Fantasia 2000. I hated the original, but the new version is significantly better. Even my kids like watching it. The whole thing is less abstract and more engaging. Give it a shot.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds