October 09, 2023
2598 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2792 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

If you could choose what Sci-fi/Fantasy property got made into a movie

More
20 Sep 2011 14:32 #103863 by repoman
Actually a two fold question. If you could turn any Sci-fi or Fantasy property into a movie what would you choose? How about a TV show which is similar but different?

For a TV show I would love to see Isaac Asimov's Foundation turned into a TV show. In my little dream world you could take the fist book and make each age of the Foundation into a season of the show with the season finale showcasing the hologram of Hari Seldon giving his address.

If stretching those chapters to a 12 episode HBO type season is too much, then a mini-series would be super cool.

For a movie I would love to see a movie set in The Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign setting for D&D by Kenzer Co. I think that setting is exceptionally well thought out and a team of good writers could make a great original fantasy movie.

Of course neither of these things will happen but something to think about on a slow work day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2011 15:14 #103866 by jeb
I'd like to see a decent ELRIC movie. Very emo! Could be a hit with these depressed kids!

More
20 Sep 2011 15:17 #103867 by wice
Yeah, Foundation was the first that came to my mind. And you are right, it would be much better as a TV show than as a movie. Even for that, it would be highly unorthodox, because in almost every episode there would be different characters.

What I would love to see on the big screen is basically any novel of Iain M. Banks or Greg Egan.

Also, a decent cyberpunk or steampunk movie would be nice to see at last (not that I've ever read a cyberpunk or steampunk novel that wasn't incredibly boring and/or confusing, but I like the concepts).

Or, what about some classic space opera (E. E. Doc Smith, for example)?

Or, American Gods by Neil Gaiman? Or, a Sherlock Holmes/Cthulhu hybrid movie, loosely based on A Study In Emerald?

Or, a movie based on the World of Darkness by White Wolf Studios? Or, a Warhammer 40,000 movie?

More
20 Sep 2011 15:26 #103872 by moofrank
Leviathan-Goliath by Scott Westerfeld. Fabricated Darwinist creatures versus WW1-era steampunk German-Austrian Walkers.

More
20 Sep 2011 15:27 #103873 by Chapel
Foundation is good material, but there is a lot of it. I'm not sure it would translate well to screen. A TV series might be a better fit.

As for Film, I'd like to see John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" put to film. It has the right mix of good story and pulp that I think would translate real well to the big screen.

More
20 Sep 2011 15:44 #103878 by SaMoKo

More
20 Sep 2011 15:57 #103881 by mjl1783
Movie: Neuromancer. I know, I know this is actually getting made, but I know it's not going to be want to see. I want to see the future as envisioned in the 1980s made in the 21st century. I want them to still be using laughably antiquated storage media and BBS, and costumes that look like an 80s cyperpunk paperback cover, but on a Hollywood budget. This will not happen. It should.

TV Show: Doc Savage. Solid characters, lots of cool gadgets and bad guys, tons of source material to draw from with plenty of room to add stuff, still gloriously low-tech.

I'd also settle for a new Sinbad or Rocketman movie.

More
20 Sep 2011 16:14 #103885 by ThirstyMan
American Gods is already in the pipeline.

I'd like to see Hellblazer but not with that prick, Keanu Reeves.

More
20 Sep 2011 16:29 #103890 by Bullwinkle
For some reason, I seem to have lost almost all interest in seeing novels translated into another medium. I don't know why. But Foundation might be pretty cool.

What I'd really like to see is the Fallout universe as a TV show.

More
20 Sep 2011 16:45 - 20 Sep 2011 16:46 #103891 by Rliyen
Mutant Chronicles : Movie was only nominally tied to the universe. A TV show would be better.

I second the sentiment of a Fallout movie/TV show. As long as it doesn't end up like Logan's Run or Planet of the Apes TV shows... *shudder*

A Shadowfist TV show.

And..... 40k. A decent, honest to the God Emperor Himself, no 100% CGI film, but a LIVE ACTION MOVIE.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2011 16:46 by Rliyen.

More
20 Sep 2011 16:49 - 20 Sep 2011 16:49 #103894 by SuperflyPete
ROM: Spaceknight for a HBO series.

Warhammer 40K for a movie series.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2011 16:49 by SuperflyPete.

More
20 Sep 2011 17:16 #103897 by Dair
I generally agree with Bullwinkle and can enjoy a book as a book without the need for more. That said, I still geek out for Stephen King's Gunslinger books. I'd love for HBO to do a television version. It is way too big for a movie or seven, but a hundred episodes or so would be just about right. Oh, and it would preferably be made by Frank Darabont. He has a way with King stories that works.

More
20 Sep 2011 17:18 #103899 by Merkles

Chapel wrote: As for Film, I'd like to see John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" put to film. It has the right mix of good story and pulp that I think would translate real well to the big screen.

Great suggestion--it would be great. Starship troopers without the campiness...and great premise

Tunnel in the Sky by Heinlein--always my favorite. or Moon is a Harsh Mistress--I think that would translate as well.

More
20 Sep 2011 17:20 #103901 by Chapel

wdgrant wrote: I generally agree with Bullwinkle and can enjoy a book as a book without the need for more. That said, I still geek out for Stephen King's Gunslinger books. I'd love for HBO to do a television version. It is way too big for a movie or seven, but a hundred episodes or so would be just about right. Oh, and it would preferably be made by Frank Darabont. He has a way with King stories that works.

Gunslinger would be awesome...and doable. I think the limited amount of actors and costuming would be a plus at getting that made.

As for 40K or Doomtrooper mentioned earlier, as awesome as a series they could make live action, I think thier budget alone would kill it. Look at the HBO series Rome. The main reason it wasn't continued was that it became to cost prohibitive.

More
20 Sep 2011 17:25 #103902 by ThirstyMan

Chapel wrote:

wdgrant wrote: I generally agree with Bullwinkle and can enjoy a book as a book without the need for more. That said, I still geek out for Stephen King's Gunslinger books. I'd love for HBO to do a television version. It is way too big for a movie or seven, but a hundred episodes or so would be just about right. Oh, and it would preferably be made by Frank Darabont. He has a way with King stories that works.

Look at the HBO series Rome. The main reason it wasn't continued was that it became to cost prohibitive.

Well I guess so... but really it was because there weren't enough viewers. If you could persuade folk to stop watching reality shit and watch decent drama then maybe Rome would have survived with Firefly, Deadwood and others....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, SaMoKo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds