October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Star Trek

More
16 Nov 2011 22:08 - 16 Nov 2011 22:08 #108044 by Matt Thrower
Star Trek was created by Matt Thrower
I know this is old hat to most of you, but I just finished watching the Star Trek reboot film.

There are no words. When Leonard Nimoy did his reprise of "to boldly go" at the end, I was literally on the verge of crying with joy. Best film I've seen in a long, long time. So fresh, and yet so packed with wonderful nostalgia.

I wish I could have seen it on the big screen.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2011 22:08 by Matt Thrower.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2011 22:23 #108045 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Star Trek
Well, it's not as old hat as actually using "old hat" as a figure of speech is.

The film is amazing on the big screen (I saw it twice, yo). Luckily there is this cool BRAND NEW thing called a home entertainment system and some TVs are now even bigger than 27 inches I think. In the right environment, you can more than recreate an actual cinematic experience. I recommend it. The opening sequence alone...

It's so well written that movie, i really liked almost all of it. I think it made my top ten of the year for sure. Somewhere in the middle.

I love this line from Pike:

"You know your father was Captain of a Starship for 12 minutes. He saved 800 lives. Including your mother's and yours. I dare you to do better. "

the movie sold me right there. This guy is talking to future Captain Kirk (I'm a Kirk fan, more of a Picard fan but that's no matter) and you can tell that this speech had a direct effect on who Kirk became. Just such a great sweet moment of Trek history. For some, the equivalent of 3P0 introducing himself to R2 or Kenobi to a young Anakin.

More
16 Nov 2011 22:31 #108046 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Star Trek
I was offended by the whole concept of the reboot, so I skipped seeing Star Trek in the theater. More than a year later, I finally got around to renting it, after hearing almost unanimously good things about the movie. Loved it. The casting of Kirk and Scotty seemed a little questionable at first, because they didn't physically resemble the originals the way most of the rest of the cast did, but their performances sold me all the way.

More
16 Nov 2011 22:49 - 16 Nov 2011 22:50 #108047 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Star Trek
It was phenomenal.

My 10YO is currently enamored with the original series on Netflix, and asked me for some vintage ST toys. Yes, she said "vintage". She thinks Spock is the king shit; cooler than Elvis on his best day. I asked her why...she said because he can knock you out by tapping you on the shoulder.

Can't argue that point.

So, she's getting a vintage "Bridge Playset" and the Galileo (she favors the episode where Spock was the C/O on the planet after a crash...big surprise there).

The only thing that scares me is her going to a ST convention wearing Vulcan ears and a Federation uniform. I'll eat a fucking bullet.

The one point of contention we have on the subject is that she believes Star Trek superior to Star Wars. Heresy.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2011 22:50 by SuperflyPete.

More
16 Nov 2011 22:58 #108048 by engineer Al
Replied by engineer Al on topic Re: Star Trek
Really?

All I could think as I was leaving the theater was "I wish someone had told me it was a stupid time travel flick".

More
16 Nov 2011 23:01 #108049 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Star Trek
Liked it up to the point that they inserted the tired cliche time travel business. Damn, that's like the fifth Trek movie to use that device.

On a good note. I hear the sequel will deal with a hologram come to life.

More
16 Nov 2011 23:06 #108050 by engineer Al

repoman wrote: I hear the sequel will deal with a hologram come to life.

ARE YOU FUCKING GODDAMN FREAKIN' SHITTING (FUCKING) KIDDING ME? Fuck.

More
16 Nov 2011 23:07 #108051 by engineer Al
OOPs! Sorry 'bout the language Uba. I was overcome.

More
16 Nov 2011 23:35 #108053 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Re: Star Trek
It would have been a better film if it was written by someone who could write a plot and directed by someone who didn't idolize Michael Bay.

Too many damn plot holes and too much bewildering close up action shots for it to be anything above a mediocre sci-fi action film.

More
16 Nov 2011 23:45 #108054 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Star Trek
I was just happy to see the red-shirt guy only last ninety seconds.

S.

More
17 Nov 2011 00:10 - 17 Nov 2011 00:13 #108057 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Star Trek
The Star Trek re-boot movie sucked and I'll tell ya why.

1/ Soooo... they made this movie about the past of Star Trek just so they could ignore everything about the continuity about 12 minutes in. Why even make it a Star Trek movie just make up your own fucking characters at that point, oh, I know why, built in customers. There is no "this is Star Treks past" moment like Barney talks about because this is an entirely new continuity. Waste of potential.

2/ This is not a sci-fi movie, it's an action movie that happens to be in space. Where the fuck are the idea's to explore... oh, that's right, they're too busy making it a modern action movie complete with epic kung-fu fights and totally unlike all the fights and action in OS Trek ever.

3/ Spock is unique because he has no emotion, it allows you to have a character that can observe humanity from an interesting local and offer some funny and revealing insights into humanity... but wait, here he falls in love and totally has emotions. He suffers from pride, anger.... that is not Spock.

4/ Kirk has sex with a green chick.. where do they get this material from, Eddie Murphy's delirious (the only place that happened before)? What a huge cliche.

5/ Holy Coincidence Batman!! So, Kirk gets dumped out of the ship and chucked on a random planet that just happens to have OS Spock on it for some fucking retarded reason (what are the odds!!) and whoooo, Scotty's there to and he'll beam you back up there because don't ya know, he just invented the tech for it. Wow, that's lucky man. Also, Kirk grows up and gets force fed his first mission, graduating with people who were in the force significantly before him, and this first mission, it's all about him and his daddy. Isn't that sweet? Wow, what luck! There are so many of these it's impossible to keep track of all of them. It's like they had a huge book of bad Trek cliche's and went through trying to check off as much as possible.

I can't go on, it hurts too much especially because it was a huge success and now you can guarantee more of these shit films... mainly because I like Trek and yes Pete, it's way better then Star Wars and this film is in Star Wars prequel territory, quality wise.

Good Things? It was well acted by the main triumvirate (Kirk, Scotty, Bones) and all the fifth business folks but many of the other cast members sucked. Lt. Uhura is nothing like Uhura, she's more like Beyonce or something and all full of attitude, Scotty was out of a Guy Ritchie film...

First time I watched it I enjoyed the first half and then hated it, second time (on a plane) I hated it. Third time at my house I tried to give it another chance but turned it off due to the pain. Such a shame.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2011 00:13 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juniper, Hex Sinister, engineer Al

More
17 Nov 2011 00:19 #108058 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Star Trek

ARE YOU FUCKING GODDAMN FREAKIN' SHITTING (FUCKING) KIDDING ME? Fuck.

Yeah, I made up that part about the hologram.

More
17 Nov 2011 02:10 #108059 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Star Trek
JJ:
Sex with green chick is Fan Service. Redshirted nerds need fantasies too.

Continuity? Surely you jest. Ever heard of Enterprise (the series)? The thing looks like a nuclear battlewagon from the future. But it's a prequel. You then go back and look at the original series with phasers looking like superquilled inkpens with handles and the tricorders look like old-school ghetto B/W portable TVs. Continuity is only important in the Star Trek universe as it applies to continuing to get people to pay money to watch it.

It's STAR TREK. It's Roddenberry, not Asimov or Clarke. Don't expect them to explore deep concepts. Star Trek has ALWAYS been a action show in space. Kirk and his lame-ass judo chops were always evident. The man hardly owns a shirt that hasn't been torn off of him at some point. Give me a break, man. It's Star Trek, not 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Spock is half-human. Tormented by it. It makes sense that he'll nut up occasionally.

And no, there are no lightsabers. No magic hokey religions. Star Wars is clearly, undeniably better. It is to Star Trek what the Old Spice Guy is to what you wish you smelled like.

And I will absolutely concede point 5. The plot had more gaping holes in it than the Adult Video Awards.

More
17 Nov 2011 02:38 #108060 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Star Trek
Star Trek is better than Star Wars because I might actually want to live in a Star Trek world. Star Wars is fascist warfare. Fuck that, I have that right now and it sucks.

www.salon.com/1999/06/15/brin_main/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!

More
17 Nov 2011 03:09 #108061 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Star Trek

jeb wrote: I might actually want to live in a Star Trek world.

Of course you would. Star Trek makes no sense. There's unlimited energy, and you can turn it into any matter you want anytime you want. There's no reason to do anything other than play Call of Duty 2350 on the holodeck.

Star Wars is the real world. What good is that?

S.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds