October 09, 2023
2526 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

George Lucas is retiring from blockbusters.

More
19 Jan 2012 16:25 #113394 by Bullwinkle
Except for maybe another Indiana Jones film. He's going to make small, personal films. He explicitly says he's done with Star Wars because of fans critical of the series.

So...thanks, fans critical of the series!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2012 16:32 #113395 by Black Barney
George Lucas retiring is the best thing to happen to blockbusters in a long time.

I can't wait to see how terrible the small personal films are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jpat, OldHippy, SuperflyPete, Dair

More
19 Jan 2012 16:33 #113396 by Michael Barnes
Small, personal films like Radioland Murders and Howard the Duck?

But yeah, high five critical Star Wars fans! Now if we can just get Lucas to hand it off to someone who actually understands why the OT is timeless and immortal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Black Barney

More
19 Jan 2012 16:34 #113397 by OldHippy
If the next Indiana Jones film is as bad as the last one the fans will rake him over the coals for that franchise as well.

In any case he was done with Star Wars 40 minutes into Jedi anyway.

I'd love to see him go back to his THX 1138 style but I don't think he could do it anymore. He's not hungry enough now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
19 Jan 2012 16:39 #113399 by Black Barney
He's ruinsd the OT tho! The best scenes by far were the Alec Guiness scenes and now some of them don't even make sense! Or how about the first time the emperor appears in Empire? That scene SUCKS now cuz I remember how he used to look.

ugh, i had a sad when I watch them now. A New Hope used to be perfect.

More
19 Jan 2012 16:44 #113400 by Egg Shen
He sounds butthurt that people don't love his whizz bang "everything gotta be CG" approach to movie making. What's he really retiring from anyways? It's not like he directs a ton of shit. All he does is produce.

I've never seen a person pretty much self-sabotage their legacy in quite the same way as he did. Bye bye George, don't let Greedo shoot you first on the way out...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jpat, Black Barney, wice

More
19 Jan 2012 16:49 #113401 by repoman
Fuck George Lucas. It's like when a once great rock band from 30 years ago reunites to make a new album and of course it sucks. Hi Van Halen...talking about you!

Lucas lost his mojo when he sold his soul and put marketing ahead of story.

And you've earned yourself a slap on the knuckles with a ruler Barney. Star Wars is the title of the first movie...Star Wars.

Nobody will miss Lucas but the fucker will never allow somebody else to make new Star Wars movies. Too much ego.

More
19 Jan 2012 17:06 #113404 by MattFantastic
I like the new Indiana Jones movie. Fuck you guys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, SuperflyPete, QPCloudy

More
19 Jan 2012 17:12 #113405 by Disgustipater
I was never a fan of Star Wars, so I'm happy there won't be any more for me to not see.

I do find it amusing that the lightsaber duels in the original trilogy are terrible compared to the prequels.

More
19 Jan 2012 17:45 - 19 Jan 2012 17:48 #113408 by Sagrilarus

Disgustipater wrote: I was never a fan of Star Wars, so I'm happy there won't be any more for me to not see.

I do find it amusing that the lightsaber duels in the original trilogy are terrible compared to the prequels.

There are no lightsaber duels in the prequels. They're lightsaber performances and they ROCKED THE HOUSE. Those Siths got da moves like Jaggah.

S.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2012 17:48 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Dair

More
19 Jan 2012 18:01 - 19 Jan 2012 18:23 #113413 by OldHippy
It's true that the lightsabre fights in the pre-quels are more spectacular.. but not necessarily better.

The thing is that in the interim, between the two series, someone in Hollywood decided that every fight in a movie would be a rip off of Hong Kong cinema style fights. The original fights are more like the old school sabre fights and are probably more realistic. The new ones are all spectacle.
As much as I love the fights in Hong Kong cinema I think its lame that every fucking movie these days has to use that style.

Not all fights have to look like choreographed dances.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2012 18:23 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wice

More
19 Jan 2012 18:05 #113414 by TheDukester
George Lucas "retired from blockbusters" in the fall of 1980. This isn't news.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bulwyf

More
19 Jan 2012 18:14 #113417 by Disgustipater

JonJacob wrote: Not all fights have to look like choreographed dances.

The bad thing about learning how to fence (or any kind of fighting I suppose) is that every single fight in a movie, with swords or fists, just looks horribly choreographed. There are so many ignored blatant openings and opportunities for the killing blow that it drives me insane.

More
19 Jan 2012 18:46 #113422 by Egg Shen
I agree that the fights in the prequels are just over the top spectacles. They are so flashy and over the top that you just kind of glaze over when the occur. You don't feel anything...you're just along for the ride. They serve for nothing except to be flashy and show off what artists can do with computers.

While the original movies might have had shoddy choreography it didn't hurt the films. Plus the light saber battles typically only occurred at pivot scenes and usually carried some emotional weight (Obi Wan allowing Vadar to cut him down, Luke giving in to his anger and freaking out on Vadar which resulted in him relentlessly hacking away at his arm).

Some people like the newer flashier stuff, but I didn't care for it. To each his own though...
The following user(s) said Thank You: wice

More
19 Jan 2012 19:53 #113429 by mads b.
I like flashy fencing - even if it's not realistic. But at the same time Vader in the OT was really cool precisely because he never moved that much while fencing. But the spin Obi-Wan does in Star Wars is really lame and almost - almost - ruins the scene.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds