October 09, 2023
2528 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

George Lucas is retiring from blockbusters.

More
20 Jan 2012 22:47 #113586 by OldHippy

MattLoter wrote: Art isn't a two way street (generally speaking) of business exchanges, it's the personal expression of creative vision that you can either appreciate or not.

... or critically tear apart. That is our freedom as consumers and we all use it. Especially on the internet. That doesn't mean that consumers are entitled to anything, but it doesn't mean artists are either. If you put your product out into the public eye you'd have to be an idiot to not expect it will be torn to pieces by someone.

Art that can stand up to that test is worth a second look. This is how we build a cannon of culture that we generally agree is worthy a human's time because otherwise there would be too much shit to go through.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2012 01:23 - 21 Jan 2012 01:26 #113617 by Bullwinkle

MattLoter wrote: Oh also, calling the relationship between artist and viewer (or reader, listener, etc.) as having to do with "expectations of a customer" is some bullshit. If you're looking at the relationship between creator and consumer as a business transaction then you can go fuck yourself and enjoy vapid unartistic commodity creations. Art isn't a two way street (generally speaking) of business exchanges, it's the personal expression of creative vision that you can either appreciate or not.

Then don't ask for money. Anyone can put any work out there for free, if their vision is all that's important. Lots of people do. And then they won't have to taint their purity. Bring money into it, and damn right it's a business transaction.

And just for the record, if it wasn't clear before, I think anyone's perfectly entitled to do anything they choose to their own work. And no fan has the right to tell a creator how to create their work. But they damn well have the right to criticize them for it. And the creator has an obligation to finish something they start, if they've charged the price of admission.

Are you guys the sort that get mad about colleges not just passing everyone on everything since they are paying for the "service" of education?

Ha! You have me 100% wrong. No, here I expect the school to have high standards and expect you to meet them, and I have nothing but contempt for the alternative.

Why is this different? It's not. It's the same. I don't give a shit whether I like the work or not. But I expect them to deliver it. Put it this way: are you the sort of guy who thinks it's okay for a college to say, "Hey, we're not going to offer you that fourth year of your degree. But you can't really complain, because you paid for only three years so far, and that's what we delivered."
Last edit: 21 Jan 2012 01:26 by Bullwinkle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair, wice

More
21 Jan 2012 07:45 #113641 by SaMoKo

Black Barney wrote: hey Samoko! I finally watched the video of your avatar! It didn't work for me :(

What brand of lube are you using? That can be pretty important.

More
21 Jan 2012 07:47 #113642 by SaMoKo
Trap sprung, now to await the bear to feed on the honey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Jan 2012 13:58 #113650 by Black Barney
no l00b, baby. Maybe that was the problem...

More
21 Jan 2012 18:02 - 21 Jan 2012 18:03 #113665 by Disgustipater

Msample wrote: Something I read a while back sticks in my mind. Lucas was visiting Martin Scorsese on the set of GANGS OF NEW YORK when it was being filed outside Rome. Scorsese of course is old school, and the entire Five Points neighborhood was constructed. Lucas said "Sets like that can be done with computers now.”

As a not-quite-related side note, here's a trailer for a documentary about the death of film (as opposed to digital):

vimeo.com/35206631

George Lucas makes an appearance.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2012 18:03 by Disgustipater.

More
21 Jan 2012 20:24 #113674 by wice

Disgustipater wrote:

Msample wrote: Something I read a while back sticks in my mind. Lucas was visiting Martin Scorsese on the set of GANGS OF NEW YORK when it was being filed outside Rome. Scorsese of course is old school, and the entire Five Points neighborhood was constructed. Lucas said "Sets like that can be done with computers now.”

As a not-quite-related side note, here's a trailer for a documentary about the death of film (as opposed to digital):

vimeo.com/35206631

George Lucas makes an appearance.

So does David Lynch. :(

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds