October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2732 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

When did you first notice that Star Wars sucks?

More
20 Jan 2012 21:55 #113579 by OldHippy
I loved all three films as a kid and today they can still bring a nostalgic tear to my eye. But I recognize there are some huge problems now that I'm older.

But as a kid I felt betrayed when Boba Fett died for comic relief and to this day I can't forgive the original series that fatal flaw of crushing my 10 year old heart. Any subsequent criticisms I've come up with as an adult don't count because they were kids movies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2012 21:58 #113580 by MattFantastic
Ewoks are awesome.

Star Wars prequels are a let down for sure and feature some really cringe worthy moments but still don't totally suck.

The universe as a whole, especially when looking at various support medias like video games and comics is glorious and wonderful and fuck all you nerd raging jerk offs who think you're too cool for campy space opera entertainment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
20 Jan 2012 21:58 #113581 by Bullwinkle
I've never really been that big a fan of the series. Yes, when it first came out, I was mad about it (it's the only movie I remember my family ever going to more than once; four times, as I recall). But my interest slowly waned to mildly liking it by the end of Jedi.

When TPM came out, I wasn't even going to bother going, but a friend who was a SW fanatic dragged me to see it. I thought it was okay at best, and didn't bother seeing the other two in the theater. When I had the chance to see them at home, I decided I'd watch the prequel trilogy from the beginning all at once. I sat down with TPM, and I couldn't make it past ten minutes. So fucking boring. Never did watch the other two, and probably never will.

Gotta say, though, this universe has given us some damn good video games. Jedi Knight and its sequels are super badass.

More
20 Jan 2012 22:07 #113582 by ufe
I think I've said it here before, but I'm with Barnes. I loved the ewoks as a kid and Jedi was my favorite film of the OT. Hell, even discounting the whole Endor part of the finale, the battle around the second death star and the final confrontation between Luke, Vader and the emperor are bad ass. Two outa three a'int bad.

The prequels are what killed it. I kept going back thinking they'd get better, but pretty much everything about them was ass. Lucas's refusal to release an unaltered, or at least less altered (some of the changes aren't bad ie Cloud City), version of the OT isn't helping me care any more. I'm pretty much over Star Wars, which is sad but you have to grow up at some point, right?

More
20 Jan 2012 22:12 #113583 by bomber
I've decided to renounce everything but the empire strikes back. which still fucking rules. even if I'd change it a bit, so that when Vader offers Luke the assistant managers role, I'd be like, fuck yeah, that sounds pretty cool dad, lets kick some fuckin ass, can I get me one of those black suits and helmets as well?

More
20 Jan 2012 22:53 #113587 by dave
I saw Star Wars when it was first released. I was 9yo, and the movie didn't do much for me. Return of the Jedi is the only SW movie that I can say I outright enjoyed. Same goes with Temple of Doom and the Indy franchise.

But enough about me; the answer to the OP is "Jar Jar Binks".

More
20 Jan 2012 22:54 #113588 by repoman

MattLoter wrote: Ewoks are awesome.

Star Wars prequels are a let down for sure and feature some really cringe worthy moments but still don't totally suck.

The universe as a whole, especially when looking at various support medias like video games and comics is glorious and wonderful and fuck all you nerd raging jerk offs who think you're too cool for campy space opera entertainment.

Point 1: The only draw of ewoks is for kids. They get a bit of empowerment and wish fulfillment out of them. Small guys beating big guys. However if you were over the age of 8 when you were exposed to Return of the Jedi, then you know they suck. How much cooler if the final battle had taken place on the home planet of Chewbacca as originally planned? Way cooler.

Point 2: The prequals suck in every way it is possible to suck. The story makes no sense, the writing is terrible, the acting is the worst I've ever seen outside of a high school play. Did I really need to meet everybody's father? Darth Vader created a protocol droid? The force is a bacteria? REALLY? Believing CGI effects can replace good story telling. These movies define suck.

Point 3: The ancillary universe just goes to show how awesome these movies could have been if Lucas could have let talented people do what they do instead of doing it himself. What writer or director would have turned down a chance to work on those prequals?

Point 4: These are not kid movies any more than any high adventure film is a kid's movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bomber

More
20 Jan 2012 23:13 #113592 by Juniper

Jackwraith wrote: Finally, the "writers" didn't have to come up with the incest issue. Lucas has stated before that the two of them were siblings from the very beginning and she was intended to fall for the "bad guy" from the outset.

You believed him? That's like taking at face value some jerk on the internet who claims that Biggs was the key to Star Wars' undoing.

More
20 Jan 2012 23:23 - 20 Jan 2012 23:23 #113596 by Gary Sax
It was definitely the prequels. Episode 1 just did not work.

I still love the Star Wars originally trilogy. Even with Lucas raping them with his later changes, the goodness still peeks through.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2012 23:23 by Gary Sax.

More
20 Jan 2012 23:44 #113599 by OldHippy
The whole notion of the prequels just doesn't make sense.

If I watch them first it fucks up the Vader is Luke's father surprise. I certainly wouldn't want that to happen.

If I watch them later it ruins the Anakin becomes bad thing, which could be a cool surprise if you didn't already know decades before the reveal.

Personally I'd prefer an alternate story completely unrelated.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.375 seconds