October 09, 2023
2701 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2866 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Oscar nominations 2013

More
18 Jan 2013 17:03 #141833 by Black Barney
I figure I'd talk about the nominations with some of my predictions and comments...

Best Supporting Actor (best category for 2013! Almost everything else is a slam dunk but this one is totally in the air! I love that)

•Best Supporting Actor:
•Christoph Waltz, "Django Unchained" - It's funny that he wins the Golden Globe but there is just no way he'll win here.
•Philip Seymour Hoffman, "The Master" - Could easily take this from Tommy Lee Jones. I wouldn,t be able to bet on this category with confidence. it will probably be Tommy Lee Jones but it could so easily by Philip Seymour Hoffman too.
•Robert De Niro, "Silver Linings Playbook"
•Alan Arkin, "Argo" - What a ridiculous nomination. Yeah, I like his performance but come on...
•Tommy Lee Jones, "Lincoln" - Will probably win but I can't say that with comfort.

Best Supporting Actress (most boring category of 2013)

•Sally Field, "Lincoln"
•Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables" - This is even more of a lock than Daniel day Lewis getting best actor. Could the Academy be anymore predictable here? an ex-host who is Hollywood's darling who stars in a MUSICAL and totally owns every scene she's in? Yeah, I think they'll give this to her, no doubt in my mind. I could bet my house on it. Also, there is like no competition this year.
•Jacki Weaver, "Silver Linings Playbook"
•Helen Hunt, "The Sessions"
•Amy Adams, "The Master"

Best Director

•David O'Russell, "Silver Linings Playbook"
•Ang Lee, "Life of Pi" - Could win but won't. This is the only other nomination that has a chance of getting Speilberg but I don't think he can do it.
•Steven Spielberg, "Lincoln" - Will win. Practically no contest. Why wasn't Ben Affleck nominated here? That's nuts. But yeah, Spielberg really pulled this one out and will win.
•Michael Haneke, "Amour"
•Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Best Actor

•Daniel Day Lewis, "Lincoln" - Will win. No contest whatsoever. The guy makes a movie every six years, is devout to his roles and really nails them. He is unbeatable in this category.
•Denzel Washington, "Flight" - He finally gets a nomination he deserves. For once he actually goes off-character to make a decent performance. I still can't believe he won for Training Day. I don't even think he should have been nominated. Not his year this year tho. He can't beat Daniel Day Lewis and I think he would have even lost to Hugh Jackman.
•Hugh Jackman, "Les Miserables"
•Bradley Cooper, "Silver Linings Playbook"
•Joaquin Phoenix, "The Master"

Best Actress

•Naomi Watts, "The Impossible"
•Jessica Chastain, "Zero Dark Thirty" - COULD win but I don't think she will. It's a great performance but I think Jennifer Lawrence will get it.
•Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook" - Will win. This is a classic good move that will be rewarded by the Academy. It's a talented actress who is capable of only doing big money movies (Hunger Games) but decides to take a strong dramatic role for way less money and nails it. She'll be rewarded for this for sure.
•Emmanuelle Riva, "Amour"
•Quvenzhané Wallis, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Best Picture

"Beasts of the Southern Wild"
•"Silver Linings Playbook"
•"Zero Dark Thirty" - glad to see this nominated given how hot it is.
•"Lincoln" - this will win. It's the perfect Oscar-type movie. Incredible lead performance and movie about U.S. history. Spielberg is loved as well. This will win no question.
•"Les Miserables" - I'm glad this doesn't just win by default.
•"Life of Pi"
•"Amour"
•"Django Unchained" - wow kudos to Tarantino
•"Argo" - this is what i think SHOULD win but it won't. Probably my favourite movie of the year.

Best Original Screenplay

•"Zero Dark Thirty" nice
•"Django Unchained"
•"Moonrise Kingdom" yay!
•"Amour"
•"Flight" wow, what the heck is this doing here?

Best Adapted Screenplay

•"Argo" I am hoping for this one.
•"Life of Pi"
•"Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Best Animated Feature (I have never remembered this being such a dry year for animation. Look at these ridiculous nominations...)

•"Frankenweenie" WTF?!
•"The Pirates! Band of Misfits"
•"Wreck-It Ralph"
•"Paranorman"
•"Brave" - Could Pixar actually lose this year? Is it possible?

Best Foreign Feature

•"Amour"
•"A Royal Affair"
•"Kon-Tiki"
•"No"
•"War Witch (Rebelle)" Hey is this a Quebec movie? I can't remember. Is this a slam dunk for Amour? I have no idea.

Best Visual Effects

•"Life of Pi"
•"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" yeah, it's pretty good looking. But maybe it's the cinematography more than the effects.
•"The Avengers" that would kind of be cool
•"Prometheus" wow, nice nomination
•"Snow White and the Huntsman" LOL FOCK OFF

Best Cinematography (gah! No Hobbit?!)

•"Skyfall"
•"Anna Karenina"
•"Django Unchained"
•"Life of Pi"
•"Lincoln"

Best Costume Design (TWO Snow White movies nominated? BLECH)

•"Anna Karenina"
•"Les Misérables" this will likely win I'm guessing
•"Lincoln"
•"Mirror Mirror"
•"Snow White and the Huntsman"

Best Documentary Feature

•"Searching for Sugar Man" i heard this was good?
•"How to Survive a Plague'
•"The Gatekeepers"

Best Documentary Short

•"Inocente"
•"Open Heart"
•"Redemption"
•"Kings Point"
•"Mondays at Racine"

Best Film Editing

•"Lincoln"
•"Life of Pi"
•"Argo" the problem with the editing is that it took such creative license from what actually happened (in terms of timing) so I dunno. It makes it much more tense but less truthful.
•"Zero Dark Thirty" that would be cool. The entire last 45 minutes is so perfectly edited I was going to have a heart attack.

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

•"Hitchcock"
•"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" I would like to see this win
•"Les Misérables"

Best Music (Original Score)

•"Anna Karenina"
•"Argo"
•"Life of Pi"
•"Lincoln"
•"Skyfall"
•"Before My Time from Chasing Ice"
•"Everybody Needs A Best Friend from Ted"
•"Pi’s Lullaby from Life of Pi"
•"Skyfall from Skyfall"
•"Suddenly from Les Misérables"

Best Production Design (I would have trouble picking between Miserables and Hobbit for this...)

•"Anna Karenina"
•"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"
•"Les Misérables"
•"Life of Pi"
•"Lincoln

Best Short Film, Animated

•"Adam and Dog"
•"Fresh Guacamole"
•"Head over Heels"
•"Maggie Simpson in The Longest Daycare"
•"Paperman"

Best Short Film, Live Action:

•"Asad"
•"Buzkashi Boys"
•"Curfew"
•"Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw) Henry"

Best Sound Editing

•"Argo" maybe this?
•"Django Unchained"
•"Life of Pi"
•"Skyfall"
•"Zero Dark Thirty" maybe this?

Best Sound Mixing (I spent a minute trying to figure out who could win this one and then I looked at the category name and realized I didn't care)

•"Argo"
•"Les Misérables"
•"Lincoln"
•"Life of Pi"
•"Skyfall"

I really hope Seth Macfarlane doesn't suck but I just know he will :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2013 17:26 #141840 by ChristopherMD
Just posting to say I don't care about the Oscars. I watch movies I like not what the academy was paid to tell me I should like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
18 Jan 2013 18:13 #141843 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Oscar nominations 2013

Black Barney wrote: I figure I'd talk about the nominations with some of my predictions and comments...

Best Supporting Actor (best category for 2013! Almost everything else is a slam dunk but this one is totally in the air! I love that)

•Best Supporting Actor:
Christoph Waltz, "Django Unchained" - It's funny that he wins the Golden Globe but there is just no way he'll win here.
•Philip Seymour Hoffman, "The Master" - Could easily take this from Tommy Lee Jones. I wouldn,t be able to bet on this category with confidence. it will probably be Tommy Lee Jones but it could so easily by Philip Seymour Hoffman too.
•Robert De Niro, "Silver Linings Playbook"
•Alan Arkin, "Argo" - What a ridiculous nomination. Yeah, I like his performance but come on...
•Tommy Lee Jones, "Lincoln" - Will probably win but I can't say that with comfort.

Most distinctive role of the year, save maybe PSH. Everyone loves Waltz now though. He and Tarantino have a thing that is wondrous.

Best Supporting Actress (most boring category of 2013)

•Sally Field, "Lincoln"
•Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables" - This is even more of a lock than Daniel day Lewis getting best actor. Could the Academy be anymore predictable here? an ex-host who is Hollywood's darling who stars in a MUSICAL and totally owns every scene she's in? Yeah, I think they'll give this to her, no doubt in my mind. I could bet my house on it. Also, there is like no competition this year.
•Jacki Weaver, "Silver Linings Playbook"
•Helen Hunt, "The Sessions"
Amy Adams, "The Master"

Surprise! Lord I hope so. Les Miz is a fucking mess. Amy Adams is quietly becoming one of the best things in Hollywood.

Best Director

•David O'Russell, "Silver Linings Playbook"
•Ang Lee, "Life of Pi" - Could win but won't. This is the only other nomination that has a chance of getting Speilberg but I don't think he can do it.
•Steven Spielberg, "Lincoln" - Will win. Practically no contest. Why wasn't Ben Affleck nominated here? That's nuts. But yeah, Spielberg really pulled this one out and will win.
Michael Haneke, "Amour"
•Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Just to blow people's MINDS. Because AMOUR was nominated for Best Picture, the whole academy will go watch it and see how directing of actors can actually work in this day and age without all the greenscreen and bullshit.

Best Actor

•Daniel Day Lewis, "Lincoln" - Will win. No contest whatsoever. The guy makes a movie every six years, is devout to his roles and really nails them. He is unbeatable in this category.
•Denzel Washington, "Flight" - He finally gets a nomination he deserves. For once he actually goes off-character to make a decent performance. I still can't believe he won for Training Day. I don't even think he should have been nominated. Not his year this year tho. He can't beat Daniel Day Lewis and I think he would have even lost to Hugh Jackman.
•Hugh Jackman, "Les Miserables"
•Bradley Cooper, "Silver Linings Playbook"
Joaquin Phoenix, "The Master"

Denzel was pretty good in GLORY, jeez. Joaquin flipped everyone out in this movie. DDL has Oscars already.

Best Actress

•Naomi Watts, "The Impossible"
•Jessica Chastain, "Zero Dark Thirty" - COULD win but I don't think she will. It's a great performance but I think Jennifer Lawrence will get it.
•Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook" - Will win. This is a classic good move that will be rewarded by the Academy. It's a talented actress who is capable of only doing big money movies (Hunger Games) but decides to take a strong dramatic role for way less money and nails it. She'll be rewarded for this for sure.
Emmanuelle Riva, "Amour"
•Quvenzhané Wallis, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Why would Jennifer Lawrence be rewarded for this more than WINTER'S BONE? I am pretty sure everyone thinks Riva actually had a stroke and died. That's good acting. I think Quahhahahhwhahave would win before Lawrence.

Best Picture

"Beasts of the Southern Wild"
•"Zero Dark Thirty" - glad to see this nominated given how hot it is.
•"Lincoln" - this will win. It's the perfect Oscar-type movie. Incredible lead performance and movie about U.S. history. Spielberg is loved as well. This will win no question.
•"Les Miserables" - I'm glad this doesn't just win by default.
•"Life of Pi"
•"Amour"
•"Django Unchained" - wow kudos to Tarantino
"Argo" - this is what i think SHOULD win but it won't. Probably my favourite movie of the year.

Les Miz is getting shit upon by the cognoscenti. No chance. I think ARGO could pull this out as a protest vote. Can we talk Ben Affleck for a second? He's our generation's Ron Howard. No one can seem to believe that this actor mook can be a capable director--but he's even better than that. I think he should stop acting and stay behind the camera. Too bad he's so handsome. Ron Howard went all ugly and couldn't act anymore if he wanted too, and I think it made people take him seriously as a director.

Best Original Screenplay

•"Zero Dark Thirty" nice
"Django Unchained"
•"Moonrise Kingdom" yay!
•"Amour"
•"Flight" wow, what the heck is this doing here?

It should win because it's the best screenplay.

Best Adapted Screenplay

•"Argo" I am hoping for this one.
"Life of Pi"
•"Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Took some balls to adapt this one and have it nit utterly suck.

Best Animated Feature (I have never remembered this being such a dry year for animation. Look at these ridiculous nominations...)

•"Frankenweenie" WTF?!
•"The Pirates! Band of Misfits"
•"Wreck-It Ralph"
•"Paranorman"
•"Brave" - Could Pixar actually lose this year? Is it possible?

BRAVE is not nearly as good as Pixar's best stuff. It's not CARS 2 or anything, but it is CARS. I think WRECK-IT RALPH could win--it's TOY STORY again.

Best Foreign Feature

"Amour"
•"A Royal Affair"
•"Kon-Tiki"
•"No"
•"War Witch (Rebelle)" Hey is this a Quebec movie? I can't remember. Is this a slam dunk for Amour? I have no idea.

It's a slam-dunk for AMOUR.

Best Visual Effects

"Life of Pi"
•"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" yeah, it's pretty good looking. But maybe it's the cinematography more than the effects.
•"The Avengers" that would kind of be cool
•"Prometheus" wow, nice nomination
•"Snow White and the Huntsman" LOL FOCK OFF

Tiger looks like a tiger.

Best Cinematography (gah! No Hobbit?!)

•"Skyfall"
•"Anna Karenina"
•"Django Unchained"
•"Life of Pi"
"Lincoln"

Which one has Kaminksi? Always go with Kaminski.

Best Costume Design (TWO Snow White movies nominated? BLECH)

•"Anna Karenina"
•"Les Misérables" this will likely win I'm guessing
"Lincoln"
•"Mirror Mirror"
•"Snow White and the Huntsman"

For the hats alone.

Best Documentary Feature

•"Searching for Sugar Man" i heard this was good?
"How to Survive a Plague'
•"The Gatekeepers"

{Closes eyes, points}

Best Film Editing

•"Lincoln"
•"Life of Pi"
•"Argo" the problem with the editing is that it took such creative license from what actually happened (in terms of timing) so I dunno. It makes it much more tense but less truthful.
"Zero Dark Thirty" that would be cool. The entire last 45 minutes is so perfectly edited I was going to have a heart attack.

Tour de force.

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

•"Hitchcock" dafuq?
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" I would like to see this win
•"Les Misérables"

Should win for facial hairstyling alone.

Best Production Design (I would have trouble picking between Miserables and Hobbit for this...)

•"Anna Karenina"
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"
•"Les Misérables"
•"Life of Pi"
•"Lincoln

Les Miz could win if you could see anything but character's heads. New Zealand is a magical place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
18 Jan 2013 18:52 #141851 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Re: Oscar nominations 2013
Fuck everything. Give all Oscars to Battleship, repeat for 2013. It'd be worth it just to see Daniel Day Lewis and Stephen Spielberg tearing up.

More
18 Jan 2013 19:04 #141858 by san il defanso
I actually think Beasts of the Southern Wild wins best picture. I think it might be a Slumdog Millionaire kind of thing.

No way Argo wins, it didn't get a best director nomination. Movies pretty much NEVER win best picture without at least a nomination for best director.

Spielberg gets director again.

Also, I've seen pretty much none of these movies.

More
18 Jan 2013 19:06 #141859 by Black Barney
Mad Dog, let's not forget that half the voting academy was literally paid by Avatar and it STILL lost to Hurt Locker. Since that happened, I have more confidence in the Academy than I did before.

Jeb, great comments! Yeah, Denzel was great in Glory. I was talking about the stuff he's been recognized SINCE Philadelphia. I haven't liked any of his roles since then (they're all so similar) and I can't believe he's getting recogized for some of them. Flight is a nice breath of fresh air coming from him.

I don't think Waltz can win again just for doing a distinctive role. I don't think he will even come close to beating either Tommy Lee Jones or Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I love Amy Adams too. She's fun.

I agree that Jennifer Lawrence's performance in Winter's Bone was incredible and is surely better than her performance in Silver Linings. But this performance combined with who she is is just so something the Academy will want to reward. I just feel it.

I would love to see ARGO win best picture. It's my fave of the year. I love Affleck too (behind the camera only...and maybe from behind too...), but there's no way Lincoln can lose here.

It's funny I almost wrote the same comment, 'for the hats alone' for Lincoln as well. And lol @ closes eyes and points finger

More
25 Feb 2013 04:24 #145261 by jeb
AMOUR = Locker than lockerson. LOCKED. Best Foreign Film, duhhhhh.

What were you saying about Waltz? The man's a stallion.

More
25 Feb 2013 04:41 #145263 by Shellhead
I can't stand Seth MacFarlane. I think that his sense of humor is trapped in 1980, and his face looks like some kind of creepy mask. American Dad is a terrible show, and the only things tolerable about Family Guy are the baby and the dog.

More
25 Feb 2013 05:21 #145265 by jeb

Shellhead wrote: I can't stand Seth MacFarlane. I think that his sense of humor is trapped in 1980, and his face looks like some kind of creepy mask. American Dad is a terrible show, and the only things tolerable about Family Guy are the baby and the dog.

I'm not actually watching. The results come in at nytimes just fine without all the nonsense. I like Ang Lee a lot, and was glad to see him win.

More
26 Feb 2013 00:53 #145393 by Black Barney
i bet on Ang Lee winning and it paid 4.5:1! sweet.

I thought Seth did ok. Not great but I did watch the whole thing which I haven't been able to do since... I dunno.

Kristen Stewart sure was a disaster, but man is she cute.

Can't believe I bet on Tommy Lee Jones to beat Waltz. Dammit. 2:1 wasn't enough.

More
26 Feb 2013 04:19 #145411 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Oscar nominations 2013
So who are going to be the hottest babes at the Oscars?

More
26 Feb 2013 17:29 #145462 by mikecl
Replied by mikecl on topic Re: Oscar nominations 2013

Schweig! wrote: So who are going to be the hottest babes at the Oscars?

My vote is Anne Hathaway. Can't understand all the hate she gets either. She's got a great personality and looks to match. @Barney...Kristen Stewart is more than just cute....she's knock down dead sexy, not a great looker but definitely sexy. When she was presenting with her messed up hair she looked like she'd just been screwing back stage.

And for the record, I liked the show and I liked Seth MacFarlane. Screw the uptight, politically correct crowd who can't laugh at anything anymore for fear of treading on someone's sensibilities. Hell even the ladies in the audience (Charlize Theron's staged and pre-recorded pout) were playing along when he sang the boob song.

More
26 Feb 2013 19:26 #145475 by dclose
Replied by dclose on topic Re: Oscar nominations 2013

mikecl wrote: ...I liked the show and I liked Seth MacFarlane. Screw the uptight, politically correct crowd who can't laugh at anything anymore for fear of treading on someone's sensibilities...

My theory is Oscar doesn't have a dick, so Seth felt he had to supply one.

More
26 Feb 2013 19:27 #145476 by Black Barney
Ugh, I can't stand Anne Hathaway. Her knees are too sharp.

Yeah, Kristen Stewart totally got the engine running when she came out (or when they showed her just sitting there smirking in the crowd). insanely sexy. She's be my pick from this year.

More
26 Feb 2013 19:59 #145480 by ChristopherMD
Since they couldnt go more than five minutes without saying Jennifer Lawrences name I guess she is Hollywoods new "it" girl. I wonder how long until they destroy her.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds