October 09, 2023
2699 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2865 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Prometheus 180

More
05 Mar 2013 21:48 #146292 by scissors
Prometheus 180 was created by scissors
I hated the film in the theatre but I rewatch it on dvd.... and end up enjoying it.

wtf?

Still the dna / daineken alien godlike visitor / darwinism plot holes or logical gaps
still the idiotic behaviour of a couple scientists
still the flying fuck of a rolling donut of a ship and ... jam

And I like it.

As someone said At bgg, suddenly I want to see a girl with her robot head flying a space ship around and that was what I hated the most first time around.

One thing, I guess people were saying it before in the threads too - if you separate it from the original franchise just enough ,it's a good action suspence film on its own.

You have to view it as a slightly different preceding mythology to the dark and abandoned space of alien that follows. Now I want to see rapace travel to the alabaster guys planet. dont fuck it up riddley, don't fuck it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2013 21:55 #146294 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Prometheus 180
is he talking about doing another one at all? I would like to see that too.

As much as I was hugely disappointed by the movie, I was entertained and scared.

More
05 Mar 2013 22:42 #146303 by bioball
Replied by bioball on topic Re: Prometheus 180
If a girl flying around in space with a robot head is what you want to see along bio-mechanical madness and sexual innuendo then my friend look no further than LEXX.

It also has less plot holes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xerxes

More
05 Mar 2013 23:43 #146308 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Prometheus 180
HA! And how. Lexx is great.

Anyway, Prometheus...internet whipping boy of 2012. That movie was up against the impossible scrutiny of millions of nit-pickers who apparently weren't able to suspend disbelief at all with a bunch of irrelevant "why didn't they" and "how did it" questions. Like I always say, Star Wars would have been TORN TO PIECES if it came out in the Internet age. Groupthink/hive mentality at its WORST.

The movie is a decent (and sometimes actually pretty great) sci-fi picture that's a little too sure of its sophistication and with a little too much faith placed in the audience to shut up and buy into it.

I think it was a mistake to tie it into Alien at all, because that takes the already astronomical expectations of a new Ridley Scott SF picture into an entirely unrealistic level of expectation. On its own, I think it would have been regarded better and less over-scrutinized like it was. It would have been recieved probably better than Sunshine but not as well as Moon.

It's worth seeing for the production design alone, there is some _outstanding_ work in that picture. Some really nice futurism too, say what you will about the surgery bay, that was a brilliant concept and it was employed well.

More
05 Mar 2013 23:54 #146310 by Black Barney
It's a good point that it paints expectations when you tie it into something else (in this case, Alien). If Moon was advertised as the unofficial sequel to The Island, people wouldn't have liked it as much

More
06 Mar 2013 00:04 #146313 by DukeofChutney
Replied by DukeofChutney on topic Re: Prometheus 180

Michael Barnes wrote: HA! And how. Lexx is great.

It would have been recieved probably better than Sunshine but not as well as Moon.

Whilst i didn't like the film, this is a fair point. If i had gone in expecting a film in a similar vein to these i wouldn't have judged it as harshly.

More
06 Mar 2013 00:04 #146314 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: Prometheus 180
My opinion still stands as I stated in FAT months ago. It's a good, near-excellent movie for me. I don't even need to separate it from the original.

More
06 Mar 2013 20:57 - 06 Mar 2013 20:58 #146411 by luckyb0y
Replied by luckyb0y on topic Re: Prometheus 180

Michael Barnes wrote: Anyway, Prometheus...internet whipping boy of 2012. That movie was up against the impossible scrutiny of millions of nit-pickers who apparently weren't able to suspend disbelief at all with a bunch of irrelevant "why didn't they" and "how did it" questions. Like I always say, Star Wars would have been TORN TO PIECES if it came out in the Internet age. Groupthink/hive mentality at its WORST.

So anyone that didn't like it is a dumb sheeple? Right...

It's nothing to do with the plot holes or suspending disbelief. It's vacuous, boring and taking itself way to seriously. Visuals are great I give you that but polished turd is still a turd.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2013 20:58 by luckyb0y.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Black Barney, Green Lantern, wice

More
06 Mar 2013 21:26 #146413 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Prometheus 180

luckyb0y wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: Anyway, Prometheus...internet whipping boy of 2012. That movie was up against the impossible scrutiny of millions of nit-pickers who apparently weren't able to suspend disbelief at all with a bunch of irrelevant "why didn't they" and "how did it" questions. Like I always say, Star Wars would have been TORN TO PIECES if it came out in the Internet age. Groupthink/hive mentality at its WORST.

So anyone that didn't like it is a dumb sheeple? Right...

It's nothing to do with the plot holes or suspending disbelief. It's vacuous, boring and taking itself way to seriously. Visuals are great I give you that but polished turd is still a turd.

I agree. The internet didn't make me hate Prometheus, I started hating it about halfway through the movie. The fact that Prometheus was connected to two of my favorite movies made for major disappointment. The fact that there were so many inexplicably stupid moments in Prometheus made it plenty bad in its own right. I still can't believe Ridley Scott even hired the dude responsible for that prime time travesty known as Lost.

All that said, Prometheus is visually impressive. I have a feeling that I would enjoy watching it again some day, not because it's a good movie, but because the visuals are so enjoyable. And I'm not just talking about Charlize Theron. But liking a movie just for the visuals is a shallow thing, so there is no way that I'm ever going to do a full 180 on Prometheus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Green Lantern, wice, wadenels

More
06 Mar 2013 21:53 #146415 by Green Lantern
Replied by Green Lantern on topic Re: Prometheus 180
Prometheus definitely had some great visuals but so did Ladyhawke. Visuals alone couldn't save either movie from suckage.

More
06 Mar 2013 22:05 - 06 Mar 2013 22:28 #146416 by scissors
Replied by scissors on topic Re: Prometheus 180
Nobody ever expects to do a full 180 on Prometheus :)
Last edit: 06 Mar 2013 22:28 by scissors.

More
06 Mar 2013 22:05 - 06 Mar 2013 22:08 #146417 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Re: Prometheus 180

I still can't believe Ridley Scott even hired the dude responsible for that prime time travesty known as Lost.

Maybe because he also scripted the very successful Star Trek reboot, and also because a lot of us thought Lost was a pretty awesome show.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2013 22:08 by san il defanso. Reason: Star Trek, not Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Octavian

More
06 Mar 2013 22:38 #146419 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Prometheus 180

San Il Defanso wrote:

I still can't believe Ridley Scott even hired the dude responsible for that prime time travesty known as Lost.

Maybe because he also scripted the very successful Star Trek reboot, and also because a lot of us thought Lost was a pretty awesome show.

IMDb doesn't give give Lindelof a writing credit for Star Trek, it only lists him as Producer.

Lost had a lot of fans, but "fan" is short for fanatic. And only a fanatic could remain loyal to a show with such incompetent writers and a terrible finale. Seriously, when half the fans hated the final episode, the show probably wasn't quite awesome.

More
07 Mar 2013 00:34 #146422 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re: Prometheus 180
Prometheus was the kind of epic scifi movie we just don't see anymore. Almost as good as Alien and Blade Runner, which is still pretty damn good. I'd definitely rather watch Prometheus than fucking Avatar or most other crap people think is good scifi nowadays. It took chances trying to make the audience think about stuff instead of being completely superficial and trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator (i.e. Black Barney). I wish we'd get more movies like Prometheus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
07 Mar 2013 00:36 #146423 by Black Barney
ouch. But I liked Prometheus! I just said it was disappointing is all. I focking hated Avatar too.

Are you sure you're not mixing me up with someone else?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.355 seconds