October 09, 2023
2534 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Let's talk about Anime!

More
02 Jan 2014 10:56 #168919 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: Let's talk about Anime

tscook wrote: I have no idea what is happening with people dogpiling Barnes for a legit observation (that is as true in any form of media, Eastern or Western). I was just making fun of him for being an old man and not knowing that other good shows have emerged~

That was my thought as well. There's enough eyebrow raising shit in even pretty mainstream anime to be pretty skeeved about the pedophilia angle.

I just think there were some decent shows that came out since 1986.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2014 11:45 #168929 by Michael Barnes
Here's the deal with the pedo stuff.

When people act like they're watching this stuff with the material that can EASILY be interpreted as (or explicitly is) pedophiliac because of the robots, the story, the music, artwork or whatever...it's the same thing as somebody saying they read Playboy for the articles.

It reminds me of the whole "photography club" thing men used to go to long before the internet. Wives and girlfriends probably assumed that they were going to talk about cameras. They were really going to to take pictures of a nude model.

Don't make excuses. Don't act like the anime with the sexualized children (or adults drawn to emphasize childlike features) exists for any other reason than to turn on people (predominantely men) with pedo fantasies. If you're into this stuff, man the fuck up and admit that you're watching it because of the girls.

It just blows my mind regularly that in the West, so much of the pedo stuff is ignored. I think it's because the mainstream view _is_ that cartoons are for kids, so when adults see some of this stuff on Manga covers or whatever they aren't thinking that the real audience is adult men with sicko fantasies about children (or adults made to look like children, since that's a typical excuse made by apologists for this shit).

Cook is right, there are newer shows/films that are good. Sev is too, that there is a wide range of anime for all tastes (including illegal, amoral, and vile ones) and there's great anime for children and adults.

More
02 Jan 2014 19:47 - 03 Jan 2014 22:15 #168989 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: Let's talk about Anime

I think the main think Mike, while you're right about pedo-related stuff getting "ignored", it's all on a very personal level about pedo. When I see stuff that may register as "pedo" to pedophiles, it's just a "normal cute" for me. I find them uninteresting (I have watched, these anime are senseless cuteness fuck, totally boring even for me) so in my mind not many people like them.

OK, turned I was WRONG. Talked to a female friend about this. These anime are popular. Among females. So the story was, turned there are guys liking this, so they make this kind of anime but for guys. The number is never high. So there's a possibility about guys looking at girls anime. Not much different than guys visiting Victoria Secret stores...

(in Japan, anime and manga are made to cater certain audience... for example Shonen is for guys and Shojo is for girls)

I watched one this morning while flicking through channels. First 3 minutes, 1 guy and 2 girls having lunch eating banana ice cream. Then the guy go home. His little sister showing a "charm" from magazine, on how to get guys, including not eating your favorite food for 5 days and staring the target while muttering something like "Nyiiin, nyeeen, nyooon"..........................

*scratched my head*
Last edit: 03 Jan 2014 22:15 by Sevej.

More
03 Jan 2014 06:11 - 03 Jan 2014 06:13 #169003 by Erik Twice
I'm sorry Barnes but you are arguing against some diffuse strawmen. Judge each work for what it is and not for any supposed moral failings of a vague majority.

I would also be extremely wary to claim anything that "can be interpreted as" is. Unless you want to argue Truffaut, which is pointless.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2014 06:13 by Erik Twice.

More
03 Jan 2014 17:39 #169068 by Shellhead
Just for laughs, I am tossing this into the discussion:

io9.com/japan-gets-to-the-point-and-make...-1493362908/@bricken

Japan gets to the point and makes straight-up Disney Princess lingerie

More
03 Jan 2014 17:58 #169069 by Michael Barnes
Paging Matt Loter, Matt Loter to this thread please.

More
03 Jan 2014 18:29 #169070 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re: Let's talk about Anime
Damn who ever mentioned crunchyroll...er, I mean thanks. That site is pretty cool.

Been watching Space Brothers.

I like my Anime without all the school girl weirdness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 Jan 2014 19:32 #169073 by Black Barney
lemme know if that company makes Tinkerbell lingerie. That would work for me.

More
03 Jan 2014 22:16 #169077 by Sevej
Shit I screwed my previous reply and editing it instead of making a new one *bashing head on a rock*
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 Jan 2014 05:18 #169084 by tscook
Replied by tscook on topic Re: Let's talk about Anime
I am rewatching Nausicaa Valley of the Wind as I type this and if you haven't seen it you aren't a complete human being.

More
04 Jan 2014 10:13 #169091 by Sevej
All this talk about Anime made me revisit an old favorite: Uchuu no Stellvia.

It's a story about people living in a space station after an apocalypse which killed 3 billion people on earth, but with much lighter tone and kiddie art style. The main character is a 15-year-old girl who studies there.

Despite the light tone and teen-y story (frakking first kiss...), the attention to detail is good. During the launch of a space shuttle, there's warning given to onlooker that pictures on the monitor will be distorted...

More
04 Jan 2014 11:00 #169092 by hotseatgames
I've seen Stellvia. Can't say I cared for it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.650 seconds