October 09, 2023
2672 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2849 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

LET THE RIGHT ONE IN

More
18 Apr 2009 14:29 - 18 Apr 2009 14:31 #26283 by Hex Sinister

think this is Love at First Bite, released in 1979. I still remember my parents taking me to see it when I was very young

No, definately not. It wasn't a comedy and It seemed like a European production. There was also a great deal of nudity. I tried to find it on the net but didn't have any luck. I'll have to check and see if it's still running on tv since they tend to play the same stuff repeatedly. It caught my eye though because it was not typical for a movie like that to run on cable these days. I miss the days when you could find interesting crap to watch on tv late at night. This movie reminded me of those times.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2009 14:31 by Hex Sinister.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2009 17:09 #26291 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
I think this is Andy Warhol's Dracula, directed by Paul Morrisey.

The tip off is that Dracula is looking for the blood of a "wirgin."

More
18 Apr 2009 18:18 #26294 by Michael Barnes
A hilarious film, but definitely not or everybody. Udo Kier is fucking fantastic in it. I love the intentionally pretentious Marxist political subtext in it. Few things make me nauseous, but for some reason sopping up blood with a crust of bread does.

ANDY WARHOL'S FRANKENSTEIN is also worth checking out. Unfortunately, you can't see it in 3D as it was meant to be seen these days.

More
18 Apr 2009 19:47 #26298 by Hex Sinister
Wow, you guys know your stuff. I had a feeling somebody would figure out what this was, "Blood For Dracula". I had no idea Warhol was a part of it. I liked that part with the loaf and the way it made Drac's state seem so pathetic having to suck blood that was sopped off the street. The whole scene in the tavern with the locals was great where they gamble with the "you do what I do" game.

More
18 Apr 2009 19:57 #26300 by Michael Barnes
Warhol's involvement was extremely limited, to the point where really he was just a marketing device more than anything. Paul Morrissey and Joe Dallesandro were in with the Factory crowd, hence the association.

I really like the Dracula in a wheelchair thing...I like how Kier plays him as a pathetic, aristocratic invalid. I think that's a pretty original interpretation.

More
18 Apr 2009 20:48 #26304 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
The Frankenstein is definitely the better of the two films. It is a little more bizarre and twisted. And Udo's completely raving take on the Doctor is marvelous.

Dracula seems almost a little too restrained. And perhaps with just a couple too many sex scenes. With 4 daughters, they had to give them all a fair bit of screen time.

More
25 Apr 2009 16:40 #26958 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
I've now watched Let the Right One In. Very tight, very poignant, very much recommended. By far the best vampire movie I've seen in a long time. When it's out on DVD definitely ensure you get the one that has the "English Theatrical Subtitles" (also indicated by having two English Subtitle tracks).

More
18 Jul 2009 17:39 #35453 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
The DVD is out on the 3rd August:-
www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/9272634/Let-The-...-One-In/Product.html

Unfortunately neither Play nor Amazon(UK) specifies whether it has the theatrical titles.

More
18 Jul 2009 20:00 #35465 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Re:LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
Let me throw in a recommendation for LTROI, the book. I haven't seen the film yet, but the book was fantastic. Just great characters; thoroughly enjoyable. As well-developed as any highbrow fiction book, but with vampires! Some clumsiness in the translation (referring to The Flash [the superhero] as "Lightning;" probably a direct translation from his Swedish name) but nothing that really detracts.

More
19 Jul 2009 01:50 #35468 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
The book's pretty good. Short read, I killed it off in a couple of days. I prefer the film, actually. The book has a lot, LOT, more with the first agent of Eli and I thought the film handled all that a lot better.

More
06 Dec 2009 01:18 #49124 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
I had to avoid this thread for a long time, because I knew that I would eventually get around to seeing this movie but didn't want to see any spoiles.

The Blockbuster near my workplace is going out of business, and selling all their movies and even their shelving. I couldn't make there until today, but managed to score a couple of good movies for cheap, including Let the Right One In. So I finally got to watch it tonight, and it was outstanding. I always appreciate a movie that gives me the chance to figure things out without shouting out the obvious, so it was fun to realize maybe 40 minutes into the movie that Oscar could end up as Elli's next agent.

The vampire mythology is positively rich with interesting story hooks. So many, that it's often interesting just to see which elements get used, and how. This movie definitely used various vampire elements, but ultimately succeeded because those elements were used in service of a powerful and moving story about one boy's difficult path on the way to manhood. And Elli was so appealing a character that the scenes that showcased her monstrous aspect were so powerful and disturbing because of the sharp contrast. Her plight and their relationship made me sad, but the very human moments that they shared were so moving. I wanted them to be happy together ever after, but we already saw in the first hour what happened to the previous Oscar.

More
06 Dec 2009 09:11 #49136 by Black Barney
yeah, damn fine movie. It was a question in 1v100 a few nights ago and I got it wrong.

The three options were:

A) Let the right one out
B) Let the right one in
C) Hokey Pokey

I rang in A before realizing my mistake. GAH

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds