October 09, 2023
2670 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2849 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The New Doctor Who

More
13 Apr 2010 12:03 #59594 by 433
Replied by 433 on topic Re:The New Doctor Who
I didn't see any "Myth" references in the second episode, but that crack appeared for the third time now (Amy's wall, the screen in the TARDIS, and on the England ship). That could get annoying (like the Doctor's severed hand in Torchwood). "Bad Wolf" and "Torchwood") were cleverly implemented, I would rather they hide the crack (like the bunny on the cover of Playboy).

I thought the first episode was very good as far as the Doctor and Amy were concerned, but didn't care for the alien menace at all. The second had a few inconsistencies and added scenes just for the "oh, look at this totalitarian regime" bit, but I liked it. I like the wide-eyed wonder that Amy has.

I'm really looking forward to the next one. I do enjoy the "meeting historical figures" stories, and the WWII Daleks look awesome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2010 05:47 - 16 Apr 2010 05:49 #59921 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:The New Doctor Who
Sorry guys, at my current jobsite its hard to log into FAT and contibute.

MattDP wrote:

Southernman wrote:

I found it better than the first as well .... and I thought I had understood the plot - people had to be selected somehow to 'keep the ship moving' by feeding the beast, one way was the 'object' button and it seems being a little shit in school was another way (oh - if it wasn't just fiction) except the kids were safe from the beast.

Yeah right, except that it was known the Beast didn't eat children. So why bother feeding them to it?

Actually Southern makes sense - they weren't 'feeding' children to the beast, the kids were doing the tasks around the beast (cleaning and repairs and shit) - which only kids could do as adults would have gotten pulled in and eaten.

And what was the point of the whole police state thing with those clowns in the booths: everyone had chosen to forget! And why sinister clowns in any case?

Because they were keeping people from discovering the truth. Like how they blocked the area where the tenticle was popping out of. Without the 'police state' people would have discovered the truth by accident and would have to vote to have their memory wiped every 2nd day. "Hey look their is a hole there...HOLY SHIT!" Like this only those who activly sought out what was going on would discover it.

It doesn't help that Smith's take on the Doctor is starting to look like a repressed-homosexual physics teacher.

I think he does kooky very very well. Not convinced he can pull off authority or anger (his 'no one human speak to me' lacked balls.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2010 05:49 by Mr Skeletor.

More
16 Apr 2010 06:05 #59922 by Mr Skeletor
MattDP wrote:

And yet you thought it was better than last weeks' episode? Man you must have thought that was really crap.

I liked both episodes a lot actually.
But then apart from a couple of dudd episodes in season 2 I love every episode of the new show.

I just found this week more exciting. "Prisoner Zero" from lust week was kind of dull, during the park bit where he was just standing there looking at the ship and growling I remember thinking "Is this guy going to actually DO something or do fuck all for the rest of the episode." He did fuck all. Moffatt needs to get some balls and start killing people.

Plot flaws and the like are a given in Who - the format of the show where you are introducing vastly different worlds and introducing new characters every episode means they will always happen, so I have no problem just going with it.

There was however, a MASSIVE flaw in this episode IMO, one that gets me a bit worried about Moffatt, and that was Amy Ponds bullshit speach at the end.
I'm sorry, but what the fuck type of characterisation was that? It would have been fine if it was Donna, Rose, Martha, Captn Jack or any older companion who said that, but it was a charcater who was ON HER FIRST TRIP WITH THE DOCTOR?!?!
She didn't even know he wasn't human until this episode, yet at the end she is talking and drawing conclusions about him as if she has been studying him for years. "Ancient and lonely" indeed. Her character is still supposed to be green behind the ears at this stage, and the ending really fucked over her character development.

433 wriote

I'm really looking forward to the next one. I do enjoy the "meeting historical figures" stories, and the WWII Daleks look awesome.

While WWII Daleks do look awesome, one thing I dislike about the new who is that the historical episodes have to have ghosts and aliens and shit in them. Ruins the (very little) reality of the show - I mean there was a giant fucking cyberman walking around crushing 1900's london yet modern day london didn't know about aliens at the start of the series?!?!
I liked how the 'back in time' episodes of the classic series had the episode plot revolve around the actual time period instead of aliens with a historical background.

More
17 Apr 2010 16:33 #60097 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Finally watched episode 2 last night (used up my monthly download allowance in 6 days so have been on dial-up speeds) and I too liked it more than episode 1, mainly because space Dr Who > earth Dr Who, and plus I wasn't fond of the way he resolved the issues in the first one (I am not a fan of the concept of the Doctor as a l33t hacker).

You have to take enormous plot holes as a given in just about any Dr Who episode (my favourite one of the new series Blink is full of them), so the ones in this episode didn't bother me.

More
18 Apr 2010 05:03 #60135 by panzerattack
Replied by panzerattack on topic Re:The New Doctor Who
Ugh, what the hell have the BBC done to the daleks now?

Thought you guys might appreciate this - my dalek wedding cake:

More
18 Apr 2010 06:37 #60140 by Mr Skeletor
That is one awsome cake!

More
19 Apr 2010 04:33 #60198 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re:The New Doctor Who
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Actually Southern makes sense - they weren't 'feeding' children to the beast, the kids were doing the tasks around the beast (cleaning and repairs and shit) - which only kids could do as adults would have gotten pulled in and eaten.

Okay, now you've explained it like that it does make sense. I still didn't like the episode that much though.

panzerattack wrote:

Ugh, what the hell have the BBC done to the daleks now?

Yep, they were seriously ugly. Retro-70's bakelite Daleks aren't likely to strike fear into the hearts of the nation.

Actually I don't think Daleks have ever been done much better than the resurrected one that turned up on Christopher Eccleston's watch. That episode genuinely made the Dalek seem something utterly alien and terrifying and justified their fearsome reputation. They've not been done better before or since.

That said I enjoyed the episode this week a lot more. Had a couple of really neat plot twists and hung together as a whole and awful lot better than the previous two. I still don't like it as much as previous seasons but I'm not sure whether it's because of the change in writing style or because of the change of Doctor. I suspect it's the latter: Tennant would have been a tough act to follow and Smith isn't really up to the job. He's got his own interpretation of the character but it simply isn't as powerful or compelling.

More
19 Apr 2010 11:03 #60222 by panzerattack
Replied by panzerattack on topic Re:The New Doctor Who
I thought the episode was ok until those horrible, horrible daleks showed up. Seems strange how in the same episode they can do an excellent design on the daleks (the ones in the world war II fatigues) and then pull out a bunch of new designs that look like they're made out of Duplo.

I seem to be going off Mat Smith a little bit more with every episode. More and more he just seems to be Tennant Lite. I'd quite like a doctor who showed a little more decorum, maybe a bit more dignity in victory rather than a gurning maniac who has to go round hugging everyone and telling everyone how brilliant they all are.

More
20 Apr 2010 10:06 #60307 by Mr Skeletor
Must sleep so will write more later, but I just saw victory of the daleks andmy verdict is:
Worst Episode Ever

Well, of nu-who anyway.
I thought it was a real shit sandwich.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds