October 09, 2023
2621 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2813 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Alternatives to Cable/Satellite - ROKU?

More
07 Jun 2011 14:26 #97546 by Ska_baron
Hey folks -

Didnt wanna treadjack Uba, so I wanted to focus a discussion on what alternatives you folks use to the traditional cable or satellite providers? The main goal here is to still have some media options available at the end of a day, but to reduce (as much as possible) the cost.

So, a few co-workers highly recommended Roku. Seems that by utilizing Netflix streaming and Hulu plus (combines for about $20/month) we can watch a lot of what we do already plus focus on older stuff we never saw. Biggest hurdle seems to be watching the Bravo programming my wife and I like - especially Top Chef. We'll deal though if it saves us some bucks. Seems like we could just get a cable to connect our new laptop to the TV to cover a few bases as well (wouldnt want to rely on this for a lot though as it seems like it'd be a nuisance).

What are your thoughts? What solutions have you come up with? Obviously obstaining would save the most, but I dont think we're there just yet.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2011 14:42 #97548 by Million Dollar Mimring
Keep in mind that a lot of ISPs are pushing harder and harder for stricter caps. I'm with AT&T right now and will probably be dropping them pretty soon. If I want the same speed from another company without the cap, it costs $60-70 as opposed to AT&T's lower rate. To drop cable and add an ISP without caps would cost around the same as I'm spending now. I would have the advantage of not worrying about going over AT&T's cap.

Hulu Plus offers a free trial. The only good thing about the service are the Criterion movies. Generally, you'll spend way too much time surfing through a bunch of shows on Hulu Plus that you don't want to watch. A few other black marks against Hulu Plus: you don't have access to their entire library on your TV and you still have to put up with commercials. Options like TVersity ($40+ a year) allow you to stream plain old Hulu to your gaming device/media player.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron

More
07 Jun 2011 14:48 #97550 by Ska_baron
Thanks MDM!

Yeah, I need to double check, but I have never seen or heard of data caps with my Comcast home internet service. In fact, they just wrote to tell me they wanted to send me an "improved router" - uh, sure?

And I'm thinking we'll roll with Netflix (already have it) streaming and regular hulu for now and see if we really miss anything else and figure out how to fill in those cracks.

Will definitely check out TVersity! Thanks for the heads up!

More
07 Jun 2011 14:59 #97551 by jeb
LOVING the Roku in my house. We dropped cable down to just networks about ten years ago when Paris Hilton became famous for no reason. We totally canceled cable once we got the Roku about three years ago. Netflix streaming is so awesome. With Roku, you also get Revision3 which has some quality shows: BYTEJACKER and THE BEN HECK SHOW to name two. There are some janky channels as well with forgettable content, and Amazon Streaming if you simply must.

Get one that's HDMI capable--I bet they all are now, but it's worth it to check.

I don't have a smartphone, so my media is all coming over the DSL. I have 6Mb down for $35/mo, plus $9 for 1-disc netflix with streaming. I don't bother with HULU. My wife has watched GREY'S ANATOMY, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, WEEDS, DEXTER, and I've been watching TORCHWOOD, THE TWILIGHT ZONE, PARTY DOWN, and MYTHBUSTERS all on Netflix. Cult of the Slightly Old beckons to you!

More
07 Jun 2011 15:00 #97552 by ubarose
We cut the cable August 2009, and just have Netflix and the Roku. We have the 3 DVDs and unlimited streaming, but now that they have put more on streaming we are thinking about cutting back to just 2 DVDs at a time.

We have no regrets, and feel like we own our time again. We have old TVs so I can't comment on the quality of streaming. The one downside of streaming is that sometimes it hangs and reloads. For about a week we had a problem with it doing that repeatedly on the Roku during prime usage times, but it's been okay since.

More
07 Jun 2011 15:01 #97553 by lj1983
I have been mostly cable free for 2 years now. we got cable 2years ago for football, but i'll probably pass on that this year again.

Netflix is awesome. I miss the foodnetwork stuff. But that and NFL/ Virginia Tech football are the only things I miss. I used to torrent alot of stuff, but i've been hit with 2 cease warnings about that, so no more for me. which sucks, because the samsung allshare program (basically a system that allows you to stream to the tv) is great.

TV Versity is okay. hopefully it works for you, but i've never been able to get satisfactory performance out of it for online things, such as hulu. I used it primarily to stream downloaded stuff to the tv.

for now, when we want to watch hulu, I physically hook up a vga cable from my laptop to my tv. it works, but isn't all that convenient.

More
07 Jun 2011 15:05 #97554 by Sagrilarus
Roku and over-the-air are providing 90% of our television viewing. I'm still on Directv for $45 per month that includes multiple sets and a DirecTivo service, but it's really to support the weather channel and two kids channels.

Roku's choices are expanding daily and there's some good stuff hidden in the minor channels. Worth looking at all the material they offer.

My concern is that bandwidth caps will cripple Roku eventually, but given the entry price ($70 or so) I'm riding that horse until it runs out.

S.

More
07 Jun 2011 15:08 #97555 by ratpfink
I have this thing called an antenna as an alternative to paying for shitty shows on Cable. I get plenty of shitty shows for free now !!!

More
07 Jun 2011 15:14 #97557 by san il defanso
We stick with Netflix and the ol' antenna for our TV viewing. Assuming you have a home video game console, Netflix is a no-brainer. Don't have any experience with Roku, but I hear good things.

I do wish I had cable, if only because all of college football has moved to ESPN.

More
07 Jun 2011 15:25 #97559 by Ska_baron
So apparently I should be hating on you jerks for not bringing this to my attention sooner. Behind the times I guess... Internet tv certainly doesnt get a lot of press or else everyone just assumes it's common knowledge.

Oh yeah - I forgot that I could get an antenna for the local channels (score!) which is what? Just stuff like ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS? That'd be sweet right there for stuff like news and network stuff except my wife and I would definitely need to adjust to watching shows in real time. We have no clue when stuff comes on - it just magically appears on our DVR!

Thanks everyone whose answered so far! Great to hear everyone's opinions and solutions!

More
07 Jun 2011 15:28 #97561 by MattFantastic
We don't have cable (well, I guess technically we do cause I sweet talked the dude who set up our internet connection into not putting the TV filter on so we get some random channels in the wrong places that frequently change around, but we never use it). We run Netflix and PlayOn through the XBox 360 and it's totally awesome and works great. I think PlayOn is now subscription based which is kind of a bummer, but we got in on it early and just paid a flat fee for lifetime membership (it was like $20 at the time, score!). Depending on what it costs, it's still totally worth it and works great for a whole host of services.

No matter the particulars of how you actually run it all, using some relay box to the internet services is SO much cheaper than cable and you really won't miss much of anything. The only time we've been kinda bummed is that we now have to go over to our friends to watch Game of Thrones, but then it's an enjoyable event thing anyway so no big.

More
07 Jun 2011 16:38 #97573 by ubarose

Ska_baron wrote: So apparently I should be hating on you jerks for not bringing this to my attention sooner. Behind the times I guess... Internet tv certainly doesnt get a lot of press or else everyone just assumes it's common knowledge.

Netflix streaming just exploded since this past December. Prior to that their streaming offerings were fairly limited. Mostly older, less popular or obscure stuff. The handful of newer, more popular titles would only be available for a limited time. I think those were mostly for show. Now they seem to be going in completely the opposite direction with the newer and more popular stuff on streaming and everything else just on DVD.

More
07 Jun 2011 17:50 #97583 by Gary Sax
The networks have huge amount of bandwidth on Antenna, so they generally each stream a couple of other random channels to you as well as their main channel.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.423 seconds