October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

American Gods the Series

More
13 Jun 2011 21:46 #97863 by Million Dollar Mimring
Neil Gaiman recently posted on his twitter feed that his novel American Gods would not have 1 but 6 seasons. He tweets,"And for those asking, no, 6 years of American Gods on TV doesn't mean just the 1st book. It means I need to write the 2nd now, for a start."

During Trashfest South, I spoke with a few F:ATties about the possibility of this novel becoming a television show. Television, especially as of late, can often improve upon a novel. For instance, from what I've read and have been told, the series of Dexter novels are god-awful. Granted, later seasons of Dexter may have taken a dive, but the first season offers a lot of entertainment. American Gods presents a lot of the same opportunties. While I didn't hate the book as much as other reviewers, I actually enjoyed a lot of the mythology presented in the novel. It is that mythology that I think can be expanded upon and make for a great show.

How in the hell they'll mine 6 seaons or that Gaiman will write another 5 novels remains to be seen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2011 22:03 #97866 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Re: American Gods the Series
Out of Gaimans entire body of work, American Gods is my favorite by far. Not sure how it will translate into television or even how well a sequel novel would work, but I'm excited nonetheless.

More
14 Jun 2011 12:31 - 14 Jun 2011 14:18 #97887 by Dair
Replied by Dair on topic Re: American Gods the Series

jay718 wrote: Out of Gaimans entire body of work, American Gods is my favorite by far. Not sure how it will translate into television or even how well a sequel novel would work, but I'm excited nonetheless.

Blasphemy. Go read Sandman again as penance for your sins.

For the record, I do enjoy American Gods also. It just can't hold a candle to Sandman in my opinion.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2011 14:18 by Dair.

More
14 Jun 2011 16:24 #97908 by wice
Replied by wice on topic Re: American Gods the Series
For me American Gods was just about OK. It starts out really good, but the ending was lacking. That's not to say that I'm not interested in the TV series, of course.

Out of his novels I like Good Omens the most (which is partly Terry Pratchett, maybe that's why), the others I've read so far (Neverwhere, Stardust and Anansi Boys) felt somewhat schematic. My favourite Gaiman is the short story "A Study In Emerald".

More
14 Jun 2011 16:47 #97910 by ubarose
Neverwhere was a TV series before it was a novel. I think the TV series was better. Gaiman writes sets and costumes and iconic images. I think all his work is/would be better as comics, film or TV.

More
14 Jun 2011 18:50 - 14 Jun 2011 18:51 #97916 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re: American Gods the Series

jay718 wrote: Out of Gaimans entire body of work, American Gods is my favorite by far. Not sure how it will translate into television or even how well a sequel novel would work, but I'm excited nonetheless.

I have to agree with Jay. Out of all of Gaiman's work, American Gods are by far his best work. Sandman was just O.K. IMHO, and made for good comic pulp like reading.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2011 18:51 by Chapel.

More
14 Jun 2011 23:58 #97939 by Shellhead
I got hooked on Sandman starting with issue #2, but in hindsight, it wasn't incredibly amazing. The artwork varied too much from issue to issue, and with the lack of the standard superhero costumes, that sometimes made it difficult to recognize recurring characters. Sometime after issue #50, Morpheus mostly disappeared for a while, leaving the comic as a placeholder for random stories that were only slightly related to Dream or the Dreaming. Then there was that long, tedious, downbeat Furies storyline and some miscellaneous wrapup at the end.

This American Gods tv series sounds like it is 5/6 vaporware.

More
15 Jun 2011 00:24 - 15 Jun 2011 01:13 #97941 by OldHippy
As much as I enjoyed American Gods it really felt like he was just re-writing Sandman. The main idea's and driving forces were all things he explored in Sandman already. It was ok but felt kind of redundant. Sandman's ending ties it all together in a much more satisfying way.

Even Sandman though just felt like a continuation of Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing. Hell he uses Constantine and Matthew (who becomes dreams raven)... still, I like them both well enough.

As far as Dexter being better on T.V.. Well with shitty writing that has an ok idea that is possible. Look at The Godfather. A mediocre pulp novel turned into two great films, or The Bourne Identity, a mediocre novel turned into two great (for what it is) films. If the writing is shit then it's not too tough to make the T.V. or film version better. Then look at Lost, a re-working of The Third Policeman that is ok but no where near the original. It's tough to say what I'll think about this. I imagine it will be tough to make it better since it was fine as is. Neverwhere was ok as was Coraline and Stardust.

That is always my question.

If the original is good, then why re-make it in another medium?

If they took your favorite T.V. series and turned it into a novel would we have a thread about it?

Colour me tentative.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2011 01:13 by OldHippy.

More
15 Jun 2011 02:13 #97944 by lfisher

wice wrote: For me American Gods was just about OK. It starts out really good, but the ending was lacking.

Yeah the first third of American Gods was awesome, second third OK, last third sucked.
Anansi Boys was way better.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds