October 09, 2023
2548 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Watched a bunch of fantasy stuff.

More
03 Jul 2011 19:02 #98972 by Mr. White
All the recent talk of doing some old school rpging got me checking out a few films I hadn't seen before.

Started with Sgt. Dave's copy of the D&D cartoon. I caught a few episodes first run, but living in Germany at the time and only having one station, it was difficult. Not a bad show. Somewhat darker than I remember. Particularly the episode where the kids actually contemplate killing Venger. I also read that the character of Eric (the dissenting cavalier) was inserted into the show because parent groups at the time requested a character that went against the party, but was always wrong. Supposedly, they wanted to get the idea to kids out that following the group is best. Nuts.

Watched WolfHound from Netflix. A Russian sword and sorcery film from about 5 years ago. Some of the costuming was neat, but I can't recommend this. It's like Conan the Destroyer but with better effects.

Also finally caught that Solomon Kane move. It was alright. Maybe on the level of where I expect the new Conan movie to fall. I'm not a super big fan of REH's Kane character, but my favorite character actor, Pete Postlethwaite, is in it so that's a plus. Was this his last film?

Finally, the best of the lot was Black Death. Why this wasn't released in the US, but that Nicholas Cage Season of the Witch film was is a crime. Great movie. Very graphic. Interesting take on the extreme sides of religion (those with and without). Won't spoil it for anyone, but Sean Bean leads a group to investigate why a remote village is unaffected by the plague. More thriller than fantasy, for sure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2011 19:11 #98975 by Chapel
Have you ever seen Brotherhood of the Wolf? It's "quasi-fantasy" and very cool.

More
03 Jul 2011 19:23 #98979 by OldHippy
I went to the theatre for Brotherhood of the Wolf, I loved it then but my memory tells me I'm wrong, maybe I should re-watch it now.

I didn't know there was a Solomon Kane movie, I love those stories... their politically antiquated but all the more fascinating for it.

I watched a Thor movie on Netflix the other day.. I think it was supposed to be a T.V. series.

HOLY SHIT was it awfull. It was almost bad enough to be worth watching. I haven't seen acting that bad since Troll 2.

More
03 Jul 2011 19:41 #98982 by Chapel
Another movies that I watched recently, that didn't get a great critical reception, but I liked was Pathfinder. YMMV

More
03 Jul 2011 22:31 #98992 by Dr. Mabuse

JonJacob wrote: I went to the theatre for Brotherhood of the Wolf, I loved it then but my memory tells me I'm wrong, maybe I should re-watch it now.

I didn't know there was a Solomon Kane movie, I love those stories... their politically antiquated but all the more fascinating for it.

I watched a Thor movie on Netflix the other day.. I think it was supposed to be a T.V. series.

HOLY SHIT was it awfull. It was almost bad enough to be worth watching. I haven't seen acting that bad since Troll 2.

Highlights:

"ODIN! WHERE'S THE HAY-MAH" Richard Greico as Loki

Scott Hall's knee brace under his faux Norse costumes

CGI and SFX from 1990s

People in the movie, I refuse to call them actors.

Fuckin' atrocious on all fronts. It looks like it was a made for tv thing from the SyFy channel.

More
03 Jul 2011 22:32 #98993 by metalface13

JonJacob wrote: I went to the theatre for Brotherhood of the Wolf, I loved it then but my memory tells me I'm wrong, maybe I should re-watch it now.

That Thor movie is one in a string of mockbusters, or whatever they call them. They make cheap, ridiculous versions of popular movies in theaters in hopes they can get people to rent them. Others in this series include Transmorphers, Paranormal Entity, The Da Vinci Treasure, The Day the Earth Stopped, etc.

More
04 Jul 2011 00:00 #98997 by Black Barney
It's almost hard to imagine so many people willingly sign their name on a mockbuster

More
06 Jul 2011 02:07 #99044 by Mr. White

Chapel wrote: Have you ever seen Brotherhood of the Wolf? It's "quasi-fantasy" and very cool.

Yep, caught that in the theater during first release. Loved it. I listed it my list of personal top 10 films of the '00s in that thread about a year and a half ago.

Going to watch Last of the Mohicans this week. I've never actually seen the Daniel Day-Lewis version, but have always heard great things about it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds