October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

New Conan trailer doesn't make me embarassed to want to see it!

More
21 Jul 2011 15:38 #99853 by MattFantastic
I can hardly believe it! Maybe that first trailer was just the marketing people totally fucking blowing it and trying to make us all think it was some total nu-metal douchefest cause "that's what the kids want" when in fact it is really worth seeing? This has changed my hopes from "please just don't make me want to get up and leave" to "well, it's no classic but that was still pretty fucking fun".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2011 15:55 #99856 by stormseeker75
Holy crap, that looks amazing.

• Steve Weeks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2011 16:21 #99863 by Steve Weeks
Barnes running through BGG Con with an egg

More
21 Jul 2011 16:28 #99865 by Matt Thrower
How on earth does he make all the war cries with an egg in his mouth?

In spite of that it does look pretty cool. But I'm not watching it unless, at some point, someone in the film asks Conan what is best in life.

More
21 Jul 2011 16:34 #99868 by Jackwraith
Better than the first. If they at least identify those guys as Hyperboreans, I might be sold (obviously, they're not as Howard described them, but it's a good spin, if nothing else.)

More
21 Jul 2011 16:35 #99869 by Chapel
Looks like a fun romp. Definitely on the must watch. That is the first time I've seen native american-eque characters portrayed in the Hyborian world. Are they supposed to to be the Picts?

More
21 Jul 2011 17:04 - 21 Jul 2011 17:15 #99870 by Mr. White

Chapel wrote: Looks like a fun romp. Definitely on the must watch. That is the first time I've seen native american-eque characters portrayed in the Hyborian world. Are they supposed to to be the Picts?

I would guess so. REHs 'Picts' had a north american frontier flavor as opposes to anything related to ancient scotland. The costumes in the trailer also seem to match some of the art for the d20 Conan game, which I thought was great.

Also, thanks Matt for posting this. Looks awesome. My hopes have increased. It opens on my daughter's one year birthday, so doubt it'll be an opening night thing for me, but likely the weekend after.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2011 17:15 by Mr. White.

More
21 Jul 2011 17:34 #99872 by metalface13
So speaking of kids carrying eggs in their mouths, this Easter my sister-in-law took her kids 5 and 3 to an egg hunt. My 3-year-old niece kept picking up this one egg and showing it to her mom who told her to put it down because it looked weird and she was pretty sure it was a real bird egg. Then the next day, my 5-year-old nephew who kept eating candy out of his sister's basket, came up to his mom saying "Yuuckckcy!" with all this drool running down his mouth. She told him to spit it out and he spat a raw birds egg yolk and shell into her hand. His sister put the egg into her basket anyway despite my sister-in-law telling her multiple to put it down.

Afterwards they beheaded their enemies.*

* That last part is false.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron

More
21 Jul 2011 17:47 #99873 by Chapel

Jeff White wrote:

Chapel wrote: Looks like a fun romp. Definitely on the must watch. That is the first time I've seen native american-eque characters portrayed in the Hyborian world. Are they supposed to to be the Picts?

I would guess so. REHs 'Picts' had a north american frontier flavor as opposes to anything related to ancient scotland. The costumes in the trailer also seem to match some of the art for the d20 Conan game, which I thought was great.

They did a similar thing in the movie "The Eagle(2011)" A movie about the Romans and Hadrians Wall, where they made the pictish tribe "Seal People" whom also had a very North Eastern Native American look to them.

More
21 Jul 2011 18:58 #99876 by Jackwraith
Ah. Excellent point. They're probably Picts.

More
21 Jul 2011 20:20 #99880 by Josh Look
...huh.

Rose McGowan still looks fucking stupid.

More
21 Jul 2011 23:01 #99885 by engineer Al
Hmmm. Looks interesting. A bit of the ol ultraviolence.

More
21 Jul 2011 23:46 #99887 by evilgit
Meh, I hope The Adventures of Young Conan segment only lasts 15 minutes or so. I don't know about you guys but I'm not interested in a young boys coming of age story, even if it is Conan.

The action does look good. Squishy sound effects.

More
22 Jul 2011 00:43 - 22 Jul 2011 00:49 #99890 by Mr. White
Upon a second viewing, I'm going to shift this down two bands from Rm to Gd.

I was all excited because this trailer _looks_ more like a Conan movie as opposed to the Scorpion King one we saw earlier.

However...I'm not keen on the bit where he spits out the whole egg. It moves what was a kick ass action sequence into Wolverine levels of absurdity. I think I would have preferred to see him bring back the Pict heads, egg dripping down his chin and neck with an expression that says "I don't give a #$%^ about the egg race, I just saved your asses".

To me, that would have been more powerful than this whole sequence building up to 'does he still have a whole egg?'. Lame. No way do you fight off a handful of warriors and keep the egg whole. The only way that happens is in weak ass summer 'blockbuster' flicks like the 'nu-metal' trailer appeared to be.

I shall stop reflecting or I may shift this down again to Ty.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2011 00:49 by Mr. White.

More
22 Jul 2011 01:52 #99894 by NeonPeon

Jeff White wrote: Upon a second viewing, I'm going to shift this down two bands from Rm to Gd.

I was all excited because this trailer _looks_ more like a Conan movie as opposed to the Scorpion King one we saw earlier.

However...I'm not keen on the bit where he spits out the whole egg. It moves what was a kick ass action sequence into Wolverine levels of absurdity. I think I would have preferred to see him bring back the Pict heads, egg dripping down his chin and neck with an expression that says "I don't give a #$%^ about the egg race, I just saved your asses".

To me, that would have been more powerful than this whole sequence building up to 'does he still have a whole egg?'. Lame. No way do you fight off a handful of warriors and keep the egg whole. The only way that happens is in weak ass summer 'blockbuster' flicks like the 'nu-metal' trailer appeared to be.

I shall stop reflecting or I may shift this down again to Ty.

That was my thought too, but I'm still keeping my hopes fairly high for this one.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds