October 09, 2023
2609 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2808 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Dischord Records

More
13 Oct 2011 22:08 - 13 Oct 2011 22:17 #105518 by Schweig!
Dischord Records was created by Schweig!
I'm thinking about ordering from Dischord Records.

Fugazi

Rites of Spring

The Nation of Ulysses

Gray Matter

I don't have the time to go through their whole catalogue - anything else worthwhile picking up?
Last edit: 13 Oct 2011 22:17 by Schweig!.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2011 22:29 #105519 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Re: Dischord Records
If you're not crazy about the real early DC hardcore sound and are more into the mid-late 80's stuff, the bands you've listed are pretty much the cream of the crop. Dag Nasty's first album Can I say is also a personal favorite, and if you like Fugazi and Rites of Spring you'll also dig One Last Wish which was a band Brendan and Guy were in between the two. Given your tastes, I think you might like Lungfish as well. Holy Rollers and Jawbox are pretty good too.

There was a lot of great stuff coming out of Dc back in the day. I lived in DC as a teenager and while I'm too young to have seen Rites of Spring or Minor Threat I did get to see all the rest of the bands numerous times. Fugazi's actually the band I've seen more times than any other; probably more than 25 times, and amazing almost every time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!

More
13 Oct 2011 22:35 #105520 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Dischord Records
All of these are great, and good call on 13 Songs over Repeater. 13 Songs is their best record.

You might also consider:

Void- Sessions 1981-83- one of the lesser known Dischord acts...dark, deathy early HC. This is everything they ever recorded, I believe. This is a preorder item though, releasing 10/24. Long awaited for me.

Government Issue- Boycott Stabb- another great unsung US HC band. There's a complete discography, but this album is their best. ANd it's on Dischord.

Flex Your Head- the definitive Dischord comp. It has everything. SOA, Teen Idles, Rites of Spring, Untouchables, Youth Brigade, Iron Cross, Deadline. Absolutely essential, and I like it better than the 20 Years of Dischord comp.

More
13 Oct 2011 23:19 #105523 by jay718
Yeah, you really can't beat the early Dischord bands for hardcore. The Faith Void split is one of my all time faves. Hell, a slew of my all time faves are Dischord releases. It seemed that Schweig was a little more interested in the later stuff. I agree that for my tastes anyway Flex Your Head is better than the 20 yrs comp, but the latter is still amazing as a primer of some of the original emo acts and some of the less hardcore bands coming out of DC in the late 80's and 90's.

Barnes, I've got some old unreleased and live Void stuff lying around somewhere on cassette. I'll get it to you if I can dig it up.

More
13 Oct 2011 23:40 - 13 Oct 2011 23:51 #105525 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Dischord Records
Cheers, guys. I've only listed the 80s stuff yet because that's what I've listened to. Well, except for Minor Threat of course.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2011 23:51 by Schweig!.

More
14 Oct 2011 01:29 #105526 by tscook
Replied by tscook on topic Re: Dischord Records
+1 on Faith/Void, I can mostly ignore the later shit.

More
14 Oct 2011 01:48 - 14 Oct 2011 01:54 #105527 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: Dischord Records
Those compilations aren't a bad place to get a taste of some of the other stuff from those days. I'm not as big a fan of Dag Nasty as Jay but I think I prefer them over Nation of U [they were just terrible both times I caught them live]. I'd emphatically second Barnes' recommendations on both Void and that Government Issue record. (I got turned on to GI through a friend who was a skate photographer in Toledo, Ohio, in the 80s. She was a big fan of GI, who were staples on that scene.) Ultimately, though, I kind of fall back on early Bad Brains for my dose of DC.

I'm not a big fan of the DC proto-emo stuff as I think it can be overly pretentious even by the standards of the genre. After nearly 20 years here, I'm convinced that we're just overloaded with people who take themselves just a little too fucking seriously. It's not at all surprising considering that the only industry in town is government and all the trappings and parasites that go with that, but I find it exhausting at times.

Edit: Confused Nation of U and Rites of Spring. Never managed to catch RoS, which I kind of regret. It was NoU I saw a few times and they just didn't work for me at all.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2011 01:54 by Dogmatix.

More
14 Oct 2011 02:27 #105532 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Dischord Records
Yeah, Faith is really good too.

NoU is interesting...I never seriously got into them, but I had a friend that worshipped those guys.

I forgot how good Gray Matter is...all on Spotify!

Yeah, some of the proto-emo is awfully self-important...but hell, look at Fugazi. I've always like Minor Threat better because they weren't so damn serious. I wouldn't call them the best American hardcore act (that would be almost unquestionably Bad Brains), but for me they are _the_ sound of angry, passionate youth. And all the good and bad that entails.

More
14 Oct 2011 04:45 #105534 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Dischord Records
I believe Nation of Ulysses is more Noise than Hardcore. I mean they've got a trumpet.

More
14 Oct 2011 05:25 #105535 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: Dischord Records

Schweig! wrote: I believe Nation of Ulysses is more Noise than Hardcore. I mean they've got a trumpet.

They can go careening off toward Albert Ayler-like free jazz at rather unexpected moments. I appreciated the unpredictability but I just couldn't wrap my head around their musical "point" when I caught them live. The only word that kept coming to mind over and over was "disjointed." (And I'm actually a big fan of jazz artists like Ayler, Ornette, and Sun Ra as well as bands like the Swans and Chris & Cosey, so I'm usually OK with that sort of musical free association. I was so sure I'd dig them...)

More
14 Oct 2011 06:21 #105536 by wice
Replied by wice on topic Re: Dischord Records
Check out their media player. Quick and easy way to find which of their bands you may be interested in.

Personally I would recommend Autoclave, an all-girl math rock band with the wonderful Mary Timony. It's a bit amateurish-sounding, but quite good.

Also, while not a Dischord band, check out Helium, Timony's band after Autoclave.

More
14 Oct 2011 12:36 #105553 by jay718
Funny you said that about Ayler. A few DC guys who were totally up NOU and Ian's ass formed a band called Aylers Angels. Pretty unlistenable in my opinion, but I really hated all of that neo avante garde crap that was coming out of Washington then. The whole scene was pretty crappy and pretentious.

I wouldn't call myself a Dag Nasty fan per se. I hate everything other than their first album which I consider a hardcore classic. Check out the recently released version with Shawn from Swiz (another amazing DC HC band) on vocals. Great stuff. The Rites of Spring LP is the best thing that ever came out of the District aside from the Bad Brains. I really wish I could have seen them, but they were just a bit before my time.

More
15 Oct 2011 17:04 #105640 by moss_icon
Replied by moss_icon on topic Re: Dischord Records
just get the rites of spring record.

More
15 Oct 2011 17:06 #105641 by moss_icon
actually, just get the rain cd that they reissued.

More
15 Oct 2011 17:09 - 15 Oct 2011 17:09 #105642 by moss_icon
also, get some fucking hoover.

p.s. yes, i know this song is not on dischord, but it is their best song.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2011 17:09 by moss_icon.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds