October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Domestic Question

More
25 May 2012 20:30 #126693 by QPCloudy
Domestic Question was created by QPCloudy
Hey guys. So, something smells like total shit in my house. I looked up and down, there is nothing rotting or setting out anywhere weird. Could there be a dead mouse or something in a wall? We have had mice before and I have caught some. And if so, how the HELL do I find out exactly where it is and get it out!?!?!?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2012 20:34 #126694 by QPCloudy
Replied by QPCloudy on topic Re: Domestic Question
I should add I only smell it when it gets really hot for a couple days. We noticed it a couple times last summer as well. Already looked under out crawl space, didn't see anything there, but I might need to take a better look.

More
25 May 2012 20:35 #126696 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Domestic Question
First, if you have a garbage disposal, run 2 cups of ice down it, then a lemon.

It depends on the smell. Rotting garbage isn't the same as dead animal. Try a blacklight in the dark, at night. If you see little ratshit droppings which look like glowing bits of rice, you can safely assume. If you have a crawlspace underneath your house, this is the time that you wish you were in the same shape as you were in high school.

If you have an attic, try there first, but go in at night. In the daytime the temps up there are > 100F.

All I have for you, bro!

This is going to be bad.

More
25 May 2012 20:41 #126700 by QPCloudy
Ah man, I've never smelled anything in the attic. Been up there all times of day. It might be important to add we only smell it in a certain "general" area in the house. What worries me, it really does smell like dead animal :( I opened the fireplace flue and nothing fell out, so I know it's not in there.

More
25 May 2012 20:50 #126704 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Domestic Question
I totally picture you walking through your house wearing that towel around your nose trying to block the smell.

Yeah, it's probably a dead animal. Food & p00p tend not to be overwhelming when it goes bad somewhere and forgotten about.

More
25 May 2012 20:56 #126705 by QPCloudy
Even worse, our house is a little older and all the interior walls are hard plaster, rather than drywall. So, if it is an animal in the walls, it's going to be a mother to get out!

More
25 May 2012 21:04 #126706 by bioball
Replied by bioball on topic Re: Domestic Question
If you live in a place with a hot summer, whatever died in your wall will rot relatively quickly and the smell will be gone.

More
25 May 2012 21:07 #126708 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: Domestic Question

QPCloudy wrote: Even worse, our house is a little older and all the interior walls are hard plaster, rather than drywall. So, if it is an animal in the walls, it's going to be a mother to get out!

The flipside is, if it *is* a dead thing, nature *does* run its course. It will smell like a dead donkey rotting in the Juarez sun for a few weeks, but it will eventually turn into a dehydrated bit of mangy fur on leather over bone--or "crunchy cat snack" as we call them around here...

Mice, rats, voles, bats and other small vermin and birds [my folks get woodpeckers pecking through the cedar siding and nesting in the walls] are a drag but it's not the end of the world or your walls. What you need to be worried about is racoon or rabbit [dealt with both] as THOSE bastards will end up with a maggot load while they rot--and eventually a nasty stain on the wall. However, if it's a bigg'un, it should stink often...

Pete has the right idea about the blacklight though as you might want to try to track down where they're getting in and out

More
25 May 2012 21:16 #126709 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re: Domestic Question
Are you a drinker at all? Because I can't count the times I've stuffed a dead hooker in the spare bedroom closet, only to wake up hungover and forget all about it for days.

Leave yourself a note. That's what I learned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Ancient_of_MuMu, ThirstyMan, Dair, QPCloudy, engineer Al

More
25 May 2012 23:19 #126715 by Michael Barnes
Goddamighty, this is what we have instead of Friday Freakout? "What's in QPCloudy's wall?" I quit!

Anyway, if it is something dead, one thing to beware of is maggots. We had a rat die in the door to our attic. One day, my wife comes out of the bathroom and says "what's that on the floor?" I look up and there's maggots falling out of the ceiling. I open it up, and there's a dessicated rat, really just bits of fur and goo, with maggots all over it. We had, like you, smelled something dead but then it went away. So I had to replace the whole attic door.

A week later, we had NASTY flies all over the house for like two weeks.

More
25 May 2012 23:32 #126719 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re: Domestic Question
Am I the only one imagining Barnes shrieking like a girl and jumping up on a chair while that whole thing was going on?

I didn't think so.

More
25 May 2012 23:40 - 26 May 2012 17:49 #126720 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: Domestic Question
A while back, the cabinet in the kitchen had been reeking for months, but we just assumed that it was the mix of the spices, since we cleaned out the cabinet and that didn't change the smell. When last we looked inside this pot, it had been 3/4 full of good, clean flour; note that the pot's lid just sits on top, it doesn't screw on or anything. I think it was the most awful smell I have ever smelled.

Attachment theflour003.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 26 May 2012 17:49 by dragonstout.

More
26 May 2012 00:23 #126723 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Domestic Question
Cloudy, try warshing your ballz

More
26 May 2012 00:45 #126725 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Re: Domestic Question
But first, wash your upper lip.

More
26 May 2012 01:04 #126728 by QPCloudy
dog, that was flour!? What the shit happened to it!?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds