October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Return of the Friday Freakout

More
27 Jul 2012 00:52 - 27 Jul 2012 18:49 #131421 by SuperflyPete
I love those threads. These people need to be shaken alive sometimes. I'll bet FMJ reference removed removed reference to om nom nom her husband is removeda non-confrontational, smaller man, who would never have spoken a word in defense of his pet behemoth lovely wife. (<--I'm not deleting that because after re-reading it, pet behemoth is still just damned funny. I'm still laughing.

First she asks for help. Then when the first 5 people tell her, "Lose the loser" she starts re-explaining. Then when people tell her that she might have had a role to play in the drama she goes on to play the sympathy card by saying she has a kid with disabilities, which predicates her being a douchebag to the rest of the universe.

I mean, seriously, is it so hard these days to admit guilt when faced with it? Is it so hard to pick up a phone and work things out with the guy? I mean, did you realy have to go to BGG and ask opinions? Her husband's opinion isn't worth anything? The other couple who was there, maybe? A group decision?

Yeah, Octavian's a stand up guy and I'm leaving the account alive there because he asked me to, but really, I'm with Not Sure. It's off my bookmarks, and it's off my radar.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2012 18:49 by SuperflyPete. Reason: If I had a camera rolling, you;d see me in TEARS laughing about om nom nom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2012 01:24 #131423 by QPCloudy

wadenels wrote:

Black Barney wrote: I remember 15 years or so ago, I'm playing hotseat Warlords on my PC with my g/f of the time. We had a standing pact to not attack each other until all the other 6 AI players have been eliminated. She was storm giants and I was the humans I think. So a few hours go by and we're down to the last AI player and it looks like she's going to be able to take him out, so I start making preparations and park my massive army outside her front gate.

She finally notices this and asks, "why do you have guys near my capital?" and I answer, "you're about to take out the final player and then it's you against me, no?"

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE and she refuses to keep playing. lol, awesome.

It's always "you against me" when you aren't playing a co-op. Alliances are only for convenience. Few months ago we're at a con and learning In the Shadow of the Emperor. (Side note: not impressed) On the very first turn it's kind of like a game set-up phase where everybody places pieces in spots they think are going to suit them best. I had put all the pieces I wanted where I wanted and had one extra one. So I put it in a place that blocks my wife from getting some silly bonus.

Wife: "What the hell?"
Me: "What?"
Wife: "Why'd you put that there, I want that!"
Me: "That's why I put it there."
Guy Teaching the Game: "But then she doesn't get the bonus."
Me: "Exactly."
Guy Teaching the Game: "Man, you're kind of a dick!"

At that point the other player present did a slow-motion jaw drop and I started giggling at how upset people were getting. But I kept my damn piece there.

I did the same thing to my wife while playing Wealth of Nations with our other married couple friends. It was glorious.

Wife: Wtf we're married, we're supposed to have an alliance.
Me: In most cases yeah, but we are playing against each other here.
Wife: That's still fucked up, why would you do that?

My inner monologue: Because, fuck you. (In the nicest way of course)

lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Black Barney, wadenels

More
27 Jul 2012 02:31 #131425 by Shellhead
I like multi-player games with interaction, especially if it's a free-for-all. I like to work the meta-game angles, too. I used to play regularly with a group that included a very happily-married couple, and the husband was almost always a threat to win, no matter what we played. So I always insinuated that they had a secret alliance going, for two reasons. First, to make them visibly play against each other to disprove my accusation. And second, to encourage other players to oppose them more directly.

More
27 Jul 2012 08:58 #131434 by mads b.
Pete, you're a funny guy and I mostly see where you're coming from. But why is it that almost anything you say end up being about how somebody should/will/could get their ass kicked? Just seems weird to me you being rather good with language and all. Is it just a schtik or do you regularly beat up people?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!

More
27 Jul 2012 13:07 #131438 by bomber
holy crap, just saw Black Barney is called Patrick Sullivan. It's the second worst gut feeling I've had since finding out Santa is not real. The mystery is gone, you're dead to me Richard Simmons face.

More
27 Jul 2012 14:03 #131445 by Black Barney
OH NO! The curtain has been pulled back! :(

Sorry bomber. Maybe try to forget you know this info. Is this like that moment in Spiderman 2 when MJ sess that Peter Parker is Spiderman? Is it like that?

Mads, I think it's just schtik. Pete's americanism comes out in his posts but I think the tough guy thing is forced and just for fun. Certainly makes for better reading.

More
27 Jul 2012 14:16 #131447 by SuperflyPete

mads b. wrote: Pete, you're a funny guy and I mostly see where you're coming from. But why is it that almost anything you say end up being about how somebody should/will/could get their ass kicked? Just seems weird to me you being rather good with language and all. Is it just a schtik or do you regularly beat up people?

You guys kill me. I mean, there's a difference between enjoying violence and being afraid of it.

Take this in context:

If a guy who is my wife's friend's boytoy comes over and he's normally a bit of whiny puss, we're going to mercilessly ridicule him. That's how our game nights are, we're all a bunch of sarcastic, caustic, witty people with twisted senses of humor. Just how it is. But if that same guy pops off AT MY WIFE? Hell yes, that guy is going to be leaving with less blood than he came with.

I don't know about you, but if someone acts in a threatening manner in my home, to my wife, that's his ass. Back when I was maybe 22 or 23 we were at one of my best friends' birthday parties. The wife was completely COMPLETELY pissed and running her mouth at this girl who was "looking at her man" and her boyfriend, a guy who I already didn't like, even a little tiny bit, says, "Put a muzzle on your bitch, Pete, before I do." That guy ended up at Kaiser Permanente with 3 broken ribs and chipped teeth from where I kicked the back of his head down into the pavement. Short version: I am very protective of my wife and family.

Now, the group I game with most often is comprised of:
Mickey: 2nd dan Shorin-Ryu, 1st dan Tae-Kwan-Do
Shawn: His mousy and lovable wife
Bailey: His 19 year old daughter (a big girl) Orange belt Shorin-Ryu
Clayton: Bailey's boyfriend,Brown belt Tae-Kwan-Do, Orange belt Shorin-Ryu
My wife
Me

So, as you can see, there's almost always people who are trained to hurt people badly at my game table. These people are also like family to me. So, we don't act stupid, none of us get offended at our insults and rude jokes, and nobody will ever decide to start a fight at my table because, as I said, someone is going to get injured.

I hope that puts my commentary there in context. We have a rather unique group, which is part of the equation, and the flip side is that when it comes to my wife, I absolutely will fuck you up, stab you with a fork, hit you with a 9-iron, or do whatever comes to mind at the drop of a hat, and I bring my own hat.

More
27 Jul 2012 14:19 #131449 by Shellhead
Isn't Pete from Kentucky? I think everybody there is always talking about kicking ass.

More
27 Jul 2012 14:32 #131452 by SuperflyPete
In, not from. And here, they're more talking about kicking their wife's ass.

Kentucky foreplay: "Git off me, paw, yer crushin' my smokes!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Black Barney

More
27 Jul 2012 14:49 #131454 by Black Barney
Pete, I usually don't get along well with meatheads (I remember this one guy who threw my Magic deck across the room once cuz I fireball'd him one too many times) but I'm too curious if I'd fit in with your group. Here's a very likely scenario and you tell me how this turns out for me:

It's you, me, Mickey and Clayton. We're just settin' up some game of BSG or some crap like that and I go, "yeah so are we gonna just start suckin' each others dicks or what?"

How does that turn out for me?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds