October 09, 2023
2544 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Serious Question About Depression Type Stuff

More
17 Aug 2012 13:44 #132789 by Egg Shen
I think everyone should have a psychiatrist to go to once in a while...depressed or not. Being able to let shit out to a person who isn't going to judge and will mainly offer sound advice is a good thing for most people. You just have to find someone that you are comfortable with and that might take a few tries. If you go to one and don't like them, don't be afraid to try someone else.

I can't really comment on the drug aspect, since I've never had to use anything like that. My suggestion is to literally force yourself to do things. I would start with exercise. Even just going for a walk at the highschool track. Just get out of the house for a wee bit. Also try eating healthier (not saying you don't already...just tossing out suggestions). I know that when I'm getting depressed I tend to eat shitty food (mmmm an entire pizza covered in bacon and tomatoes). After the meal I feel even worse. Basically what I'm getting at is a healthy body can help out the mind. Also getting your body in good shape doesn't need to cost anything and can help take your focus off what is causing you stress at the moment.

Not sure if you are having trouble sleeping or anything, but try reading before you go to bed. May I suggest the following: Christopher Moore's "Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove" . Here is the premise of this offbeat adventure:

"The town psychiatrist has decided to switch everybody in Pine Cove, California, from their normal antidepressants to placebos, so naturally—well, to be accurate, artificially—business is booming at the local blues bar. Trouble is, those lonely slide-guitar notes have also attracted a colossal sea beast named Steve with, shall we say, a thing for explosive oil tanker trucks. Suddenly, morose Pine Cove turns libidinous and is hit by a mysterious crime wave, and a beleaguered constable has to fight off his own gonzo appetites to find out what's wrong and what, if anything, to do about it."

Regardless of what you do, just know that you'll pull through in the end. Try to be positive, you will get a job and things are going to work out for you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2012 14:46 #132794 by MattFantastic
Seems like a whole bunch of us are nutters huh?

I have a dude I see once a week. Helps immeasurably to just go say whatever the fuck to someone without any of the baggage of him being anything else in my life.

Then I prescribe myself high doses of party vibes and antics.

More
17 Aug 2012 14:48 #132795 by SuperflyPete
And have sex 3 times a week. I never, not one time, climbed up from munching the holiest of holies or climed off (or out from under) a girl and thought, "Man, my life sucks"

LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: QPCloudy

More
17 Aug 2012 15:08 - 17 Aug 2012 16:46 #132798 by bomber

SuperflyTNT wrote: And have sex 3 times a week. I never, not one time, climbed up from munching the holiest of holies or climed off (or out from under) a girl and thought, "Man, my life sucks"

LOL

Yeah, you might not, but I can imagine many of *them* do ;-)
Last edit: 17 Aug 2012 16:46 by bomber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, dysjunct

More
17 Aug 2012 15:36 #132800 by Schweig!

SuperflyTNT wrote: And have sex 3 times a week. I never, not one time, climbed up from munching the holiest of holies or climed off (or out from under) a girl and thought, "Man, my life sucks"

LOL

What about the girls?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
17 Aug 2012 15:58 #132801 by jeb

Schweig! wrote:

LOL

What about the girls?

Schweig! wins! We're done here.

QP, I come from a long line of crazies. Alcoholics, depression, bipolar, some other thing? OCD maybe? Anyway, I am the only one not currently medicated of each of my immediate blood relatives. I gets me some blues though. When it hits, it's baaaad, so I feel ya. For me, an important aspect of depression is recognition that it's a disease. It's quite literally in your head. This meta-understanding of your mood is helpful in the same way the other techniques mentioned here are (go exercise, volunteer, play with the kids, &c.) They all take your cognition out of the depression and into, basically, anything else.

More
17 Aug 2012 16:17 #132803 by QPCloudy
Yeah, my son and I play a lot and it always cheers me up. He's even started walking forward pushing things. He did it for the first time at his birthday party last Sunday. He turned one this passed Tuesday!

More
17 Aug 2012 16:44 #132807 by TheDukester

QPCloudy wrote: Yeah, my son and I play a lot and it always cheers me up. He's even started walking forward pushing things. He did it for the first time at his birthday party last Sunday. He turned one this passed Tuesday!

Yeah, kids are great for spreading totally unconditional happiness. Stick with your little guy; he's going to be the best medicine here. I remember that when I was unemployed for about six months in 2010, it was seeing my boys all the time that got me through a few of those days.

These other guys have some good advice, too, especially those that have dealt with/are dealing with depression. And your current situation won't last forever; if you want to find work, it will come to pass eventually. Our entire system for matching up employers with potential employees is incredibly poor, but I suppose that's a subject for another day. Just know that you'll get there.

More
17 Aug 2012 16:44 - 17 Aug 2012 16:49 #132808 by Disgustipater
When I got laid off from my job about 3.5 years ago, I found my field was pretty saturated; I was having zero luck. About 8 months after that, my old boss called me and said they re-opened my position and I should apply. So I did. Due to the overwhelming number of overqualified applicants, I did not even get an interview for the exact job I did for 3 years. That was not a good week.

3+ years later and I still don't have a steady job (thinking back, extended UI benefits were probably the worst thing that could have happened to me). I've been doing part-time on-call stuff for a general contractor for the last year or so, which sucks, but it's a job, so whatever. I've pretty much come to the depressing (sorry) conclusion that at this point I've pretty much timed out of my chosen career field. So I've been trying to get into trades with no luck, I can't even get a shitty retail job because with my past high-paying salary they think I'll get bored and leave. I told them I'd be fine with minimum wage, but apparently that means nothing. I've since taken to lying about how much I made at my old job. I mean, both Dominoes and Pizza Hut said I wasn't qualified despite having a clean driving record, a college degree, and pizza making experience. I can't get a good job since I'm under-qualified, and I can't get a shitty job because I'm over-qualified. Shoot me now.

I spent a lot of time in the last few years on emotional ups and downs and it's rough. I usually just tried to keep busy with various hobbies to keep my mind off of it, but it doesn't always work. Just try to focus on things that make you happy as well as support. Having my dog around helped immensely. I also ended up meeting a girl, who also happened to be unemployed. JACKPOT!

Last edit: 17 Aug 2012 16:49 by Disgustipater.

More
17 Aug 2012 16:46 #132809 by bomber
wait, you were one too late schweig, i demand jeb transfer his thanks to me!

More
17 Aug 2012 16:47 #132810 by bomber
[quote="jeb" post=132801) a girl and thought, "Man, my life sucks"

LOL[/quote]
What about the girls?[/quote]Schweig! wins! We're done here.
[/quote]

what the hell do you mean schweig wins, I was in there with the same joke ahead of the germans (for a change), I demand a recount

More
17 Aug 2012 16:50 - 17 Aug 2012 16:50 #132811 by SuperflyPete
Fuck you both Lee, and Simon, in that order. :) Love you louts.

Disgustipater: Sell cars. My buddy Bobby is a double felon and makes 4000$ a week selling Toyotas. There are always jobs on car lots, and if nothing else, you get to talk to people every day (human interaction!) and you have a constant supply of the best pharmaceuticals that Columbia can provide.

But yeah, Portland sucks. My brother's really connected out there, lives in Tigard, knows a shitload of people. I can ask him if he knows someone.

I'm telling you ALL, for real, that it's not how much education you have, how much experience...any of that. There'll always be a better guy than you. It really, really is WHO YOU KNOW. Neglecting your "network" is the single largest mistake any person can make, and it's only getting worse.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2012 16:50 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout, sornars

More
17 Aug 2012 16:56 #132813 by Disgustipater

SuperflyTNT wrote: I'm telling you ALL, for real, that it's not how much education you have, how much experience...any of that. There'll always be a better guy than you. It really, really is WHO YOU KNOW. Neglecting your "network" is the single largest mistake any person can make, and it's only getting worse.

A friend of mine who is doing really well keeps getting interviews for better jobs than the one he has, and I asked him how he manages that, and it is basically people he knows sending them his way.

What a bastard.

More
17 Aug 2012 16:59 #132814 by SuperflyPete
Don't hate the player, hate the game! :)

More
17 Aug 2012 17:11 - 17 Aug 2012 17:13 #132816 by ThirstyMan

SuperflyTNT wrote: It really, really is WHO YOU KNOW. Neglecting your "network" is the single largest mistake any person can make, and it's only getting worse.

Agree completely. Even the job I have here in TKWIL, I got because I had been drinking years back with the deputy principal who recognised my name on an application form. Difficult when you first start and don't really have any contacts but networking is the key.

On SSRI's, it is correct that they take 4-6 wks to kick in, frequently, by that time, the problem is getting better because you have decided to be proactive with your depression. It is pretty hard to do double blind tests for depression to 'prove' the efficacy of SSRI's due to your depression likely being due to a number of factors. SSRI's don't correct 'chemical imbalances' in the brain BTW they just push more serotonin into your system. Works for some..

My 2nd wife had this problem and went on SSRI's, ended up shagging everyone else in TKWIL. Guess that serotonin boost was just what she needed......
Last edit: 17 Aug 2012 17:13 by ThirstyMan.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds