October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Hurricane Predictions

More
30 Oct 2012 04:17 - 30 Oct 2012 04:18 #136930 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: Hurricane Predictions

Dair wrote: Good luck everyone out east. I hope Repoman is right and this turns out smaller than expected.

Once again, living on the "weather border" between WV and DC has spared my house from the bulk of the nastiness. An hour both west and south of here are getting serious snow; closer south and east (in VA; MD is altogether another matter) are getting rain at 1.5"/hour with nasty winds.

Here, though, I've got a slightly above-average-but-very-steady cold rain with a bit of a blow but nothing too worrying. This would be almost entirely a non-event for me were it not for a damned leak in my roof dripping steadily into my master bedroom closet. Couldn't get my guy out 2 weeks ago to fix it and then it proved impossible once the forecasts started rolling in.

The other plus for me, I suspect, is the massive data hotel a half-mile up the street from me. Ever since they built that thing, my development seems to have become mostly impervious to power outtages even when most of the rest of eastern half of the county go dark. I'm guessing that they invested in improving/hardening the chunk of the grid they're on and I'm getting the side benefit as, in the last 3 big weather "events", you could basically trace a straight line of lights from our immediate neighborhood through the big Verizon HQ facility to this data hotel complex. Perhaps I've just been lucky--either way, it's been a relief... (That said, I think I'm going to do a full power-down of all my hardware before I crash tonight; I've got most everything hooked to line conditioning UPSs but an ounce of prevention and all that jazz...)

I'll have to call my family in Jersey though; they look like they got creamed....
Last edit: 30 Oct 2012 04:18 by Dogmatix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2012 06:20 - 30 Oct 2012 06:21 #136931 by ThirstyMan
Anybody know if Jay is OK? He's in Brooklyn I think.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2012 06:21 by ThirstyMan.

More
30 Oct 2012 13:20 #136942 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Re: Hurricane Predictions
Just fine Andy, thanks for the concern! I actually moved to Queens a year ago and it's turning out to be one of the best moves I could have made. We had some pretty serious wind and some trees are down but the damage around here is minimal. My old neigborhood in Brooklyn is fucked. So's most of the city for that matter. Pretty crazy stuff. Going to assess the damage at the bars in a minute so I'm a bit nervous, but most importantly my family's safe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus, Hatchling, Mr. White, san il defanso, Dair, repoman

More
30 Oct 2012 14:25 #136945 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Hurricane Predictions
We spent a rainy day in the house. The roof and gutters held. No trees or large branches down from what I can see. Never lost power.

Our town has spent the last year on a mission to cut back branches and trees too close to power lines, and it seems to have paid off. I think at the highest there we had 17% of the homes without power and is now down to 12%. Much better than two of our bordering towns which are at 55% and 85% without power.

My friends north and south of me didn't have as easy a time. One of my friends had three trees come down taking power lines with them, blocking off either end of her street and her drive way. Fortunately their only loss was their gutters and their grill.

Haven't heard from my friends on the coast since yesterday afternoon when they all started losing power. I heard the flooding was pretty bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, Dair

More
30 Oct 2012 15:19 #136950 by metalface13
We got off really easy in the Pittsburgh area. It was cold, windy and rainy for sure, but not much in the way of power outages, flooding or downed branches. And all of that snow went down in West Virginia.

More
30 Oct 2012 17:38 #136958 by southernman
Glad to see that everyone on the east coast have escaped injury and damage - keep safe for a few more days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Ken B., jur, Gary Sax, jay718, Sagrilarus, Hatchling, san il defanso

More
30 Oct 2012 19:43 #136962 by Octavian
Replied by Octavian on topic Re: Hurricane Predictions

Southernman wrote: Glad to see that everyone on the east coast have escaped injury and damage - keep safe for a few more days.

Thanks!

More
30 Oct 2012 20:05 #136963 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Re: Hurricane Predictions
Lost the awning from my new restaurant. Blew right down the fucking street. Could've been a lot worse though; lots of businesses are underwater, especially on the Lower East Side. It's gonna set me back a few grand, but what are you gonna do. I'm working tonight; I'll probably be putting a few back in the awnings memory.

A friend of ours in Jersey had a tree smash into her 5 year olds bedroom. The little guy was in his folks bed because he was terrified of the storm. Bananas.

More
30 Oct 2012 20:31 - 30 Oct 2012 20:32 #136967 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re: Hurricane Predictions
My biggest worry was the trampoline in our backyard. I hammered in some stakes into the trampoline on Sunday. When I came out on Tuesday all the stakes had been lifted out of the ground and the trampoline had slide about a 1 foot but it had stayed in the yard. Luckily, it didn't end up down the street in a neighbors yard like this guy.

Attachment trap.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Oct 2012 20:32 by KingPut.

More
01 Nov 2012 04:17 #137092 by daveroswell
On SOuth Shore of Long Island; Lin and I dodged any flooding. The main issues on the Island right now are the massive power outages and downed trees and power lines. Thankfully we were smart enough to get cash and gas up before this thing. Sloowly power is coming back to main streets/street lights etc.

I'm glad I have acces to my union's computer.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds