October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2719 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Hey you punk! What are you writing down there?

More
19 Nov 2012 14:24 #137983 by SuperflyPete

Hatchling wrote: goddam. nice pulp fiction reference, you mushroom-cloud making motherfucker.

I bought that model SPECIFICALLY so I could have him and Vincent Vega on my "list" for Strange Aeons.

Still waiting on Foundry to send me this pack so I can paint up Travolta (ACE).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2012 23:03 - 19 Nov 2012 23:06 #138042 by jur
I decided to get back to blogging this spring because I needed to focus on what I really like: military history and gaming . It also offered me the opportunity to work on my writing style and create an audience. I was running a blog with a friend on Maximum Effort , a WWI megagame, but I felt too restrained by just sticking to that subject.

I'm not sure if my eclectic tastes in gaming and history work for a blog, it might need a clearer focus still.

I've decided I need to keep up the writing so I get used to writing regularly, although I'm not forcing myself to publish every day. But I have a string of ideas in the works that can keep me occupied for weeks even if I don't play any games or read any books.

Our club has also recently converted to a blog style website and I do post there once or twice a week. It's easier because it's in my native tongue.

Actually, writing is easy. Research and images are what takes most time. If you want to write something more profound, you need to check on stuff and I don't like using images from the web because of intellectual property issues and because I now have a bit of a personal touch. One goal for 2013 is to improve my imaging skills so it becomes routine and I can do some nice banners.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2012 23:06 by jur. Reason: links

More
19 Nov 2012 23:45 #138044 by SuperflyPete
Jur, hit my buddy JASON BENNINGFIELD up on Facebook. He's an incredibly talented illustrator. He works for pennies (my banner on my site cost me a shipment of OLYMPOS to him, 10$, and I got Olympos on review...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
19 Nov 2012 23:55 #138045 by jur

SuperflyTNT wrote: Jur, hit my buddy JASON BENNINGFIELD up on Facebook. He's an incredibly talented illustrator. He works for pennies (my banner on my site cost me a shipment of OLYMPOS to him, 10$, and I got Olympos on review...)

Thanks Pete, I'll check him out

More
19 Nov 2012 23:56 - 19 Nov 2012 23:57 #138046 by OldHippy
I have a secret blog that I don't give anyone the name of. I might "share" it on FB once in a blue moon pretending it's not me. Then I have another one that is for the band that I never touch. Mostly any writing I do is lyrics and I'm not about to post those for everyone to see. It's pointless without the music. Poetry is my first passion so I wrtie a ton of it but it's not for anyone. It just sits in a file on my computer and no one knows about it then when I need lyrics I flip through and see what's useful. I also write satirical stuff for a joke band we have.. no one here will ever see it, it's highly offensive and not for public consumption. My wife heard it once and said she didn't want to know about it anymore... keep it secret and don't tell her. That was her policy.

That's it for me and writing, I find games writing really dull and have a hard time getting through it. Few people can entertain me with games writing, or podcasts (which I never listen to), and certainly video reviews which I just can't watch to completion.

Thread posts on the other hand are more conversational and I have an easier time digesting them.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2012 23:57 by OldHippy.

More
20 Nov 2012 03:10 #138051 by dysjunct
Lately I only write session reports for my Pendragon game (at lostcoastmythos.blogspot.com, if you care) and random posts at random places. The session reports are mostly for my benefit, to keep track of what's going on, but it is kinda fun.

Looking at the stats for the blog, three people have found my blog by googling for the phrase "chloroforms him," which is pretty creepy. It was from a CoC session report earlier this year. I hope that's what they were looking for.

More
24 Nov 2012 10:20 #138301 by Erik Twice

Jur wrote: Actually, writing is easy. Research and images are what takes most time. If you want to write something more profound, you need to check on stuff and I don't like using images from the web because of intellectual property issues and because I now have a bit of a personal touch. One goal for 2013 is to improve my imaging skills so it becomes routine and I can do some nice banners.

I agree. I feel like I spend most of my time deciding how I should cover the game and then just half an hour to actually write it. And getting pictures is a pain in the ass, specially if you suck at the videogame you want to cover and have to find cheats to get some variety of screens.

dysjunct wrote: Looking at the stats for the blog, three people have found my blog by googling for the phrase "chloroforms him," which is pretty creepy. It was from a CoC session report earlier this year. I hope that's what they were looking for.

Someone looked for "hardcore double fisting" to get into my blog. They were also looking for pictures from inside an alien spacecraft and wonderning why the US doesn't recognize they have bases on mars.

I wonder, if someone random dude comes to your blog and just says something like "lol, X game a classic? You suck" or something simply dumb like that, what do you do? Do you let the comment through and ignore it?

Not that it has happened to me, nobody comments XD

More
24 Nov 2012 11:55 #138302 by ThirstyMan
I tried 'hardcore double fisting' to search for your blog, as suggested, but, after extensive research, I didn't find your blog at all.

I would complain to Google, if I were you. Surely, you should be at the very top of the list.

More
24 Nov 2012 14:13 #138303 by SuperflyPete

ThirstyMan wrote: I tried 'hardcore double fisting' to search for your blog.

Yeah, that's why you were searching for "hardcore double fisting".

More
24 Nov 2012 17:57 - 24 Nov 2012 17:57 #138311 by dysjunct

Erik Twice wrote:
I wonder, if someone random dude comes to your blog and just says something like "lol, X game a classic? You suck" or something simply dumb like that, what do you do? Do you let the comment through and ignore it?

Not that it has happened to me, nobody comments XD

Hasn't happened. I'd probably delete it unless it was someone I knew. No reason to give random anonymous turds a soapbox when they have the entire Internet to go bother.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2012 17:57 by dysjunct.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds