October 09, 2023
2594 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2787 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Everybody's hugging

More
19 Mar 2013 18:03 #147982 by san il defanso
So on a whim I was browsing old threads, because why not? And I realized that I've been reading this site (though not posting) for not quite five years. And I guess reading all of the ConnCon threads and looking at all the pictures made me regret that I haven't met most of you around here.

Because I have a lot of fun with this site. Even when we're dicks to each other, I love this place.

Things I like:

- Tow Jockey Reviews
- dragonstout's zeal for M:tG
- Barnes being Barnes
- Steve Avery nicknames
- Schweig's cartoons
- Pretty much every post from Juniper and Bullwinkle
- Sag's fatherly wisdom
- Uba keeping this site together
- Loter in a dress
- Ken for coming back
- Thrower's articles (because seriously? Have you READ them?)
- Pete's torrid affair with BGG

And a lot of other stuff that I can't think of right now.

Anyway, you guys are awesome. Wish I lived closer to 1) Atlanta or 2) New England so I could actually hang out with all y'all. VonTush and bioball are all well and good, but some of you will have to come out to KC and chill with us sometime. I don't drink, but I'll buy you coffee or barbecue or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, jur, Schweig!, Bullwinkle, Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2013 18:22 #147986 by stormseeker75
How far are you from Michigan? Organize a con and I'll be there. Especially if you're buying BBQ.

More
19 Mar 2013 18:25 #147988 by san il defanso

stormseeker75 wrote: How far are you from Michigan? Organize a con and I'll be there. Especially if you're buying BBQ.

My family actually lives in Saginaw, which is about a 14-hour drive. It only feels longer for me because I have two little kids.

Actually a year or so ago a guy around here threatened to start a local con. I wonder if he ever did any more legwork on that.

More
19 Mar 2013 19:47 #147998 by Black Barney
Where do you live? Kansas City? I'm supposed to fly out there at some point this year (or next) to visit American Century Investments head office (our company bought them). I should totally flag that trip for you so we can grab a coffee or pint. Seeing how my avatar is your 11th favourite thing about this site, how can I not make an effort?

yeah, dragonstout's passion for MtG and Schweig's cartoons are in my top 5 list too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
19 Mar 2013 19:52 #147999 by san il defanso

Black Barney wrote: Where do you live? Kansas City? I'm supposed to fly out there at some point this year (or next) to visit American Century Investments head office (our company bought them). I should totally flag that trip for you so we can grab a coffee or pint. Seeing how my avatar is your 11th favourite thing about this site, how can I not make an effort?

yeah, dragonstout's passion for MtG and Schweig's cartoons are in my top 5 list too.

PM me with some info. We should totally meet up.

More
19 Mar 2013 21:39 #148020 by the_jake_1973
@Storm: There will be a Game Con in Grand Rapids on Sept 21-22.

More
19 Mar 2013 21:49 #148021 by SuperflyPete
Sorry to be the one to ruin things for you, Nate....no more torrid affair... ;(

More
20 Mar 2013 02:33 - 20 Mar 2013 02:38 #148046 by san il defanso

SuperflyTNT wrote: Sorry to be the one to ruin things for you, Nate....no more torrid affair... ;(

I speak for all of us when I say we truly regret your heartbreak. Now that you an BGG are through, these forums have basically become your Taylor-Swift-style, "I'm glad we broke up" song.

Black Barney wrote: Seeing how my avatar is your 11th favourite thing about this site, how can I not make an effort?

It makes me happy that someone has gone to the effort to rank their favorite avatars, and has done so to at least 11 places.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2013 02:38 by san il defanso.

More
20 Mar 2013 06:33 #148054 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: Everybody's hugging
I like this community too. Sometimes I feel like I have very little in common with a lot of folks here; the knee-jerk anti-intellectualism that used to be really prevalent around here drove me nuts for a while. I still see people saying stuff like "this games makes you think, but IN A GOOD WAY". Um, yeah. And I feel like I'm on the same comics wavelength as like 1.5 other people, and maybe 0.5 people for movies. But most people here love Cosmic, and anyone who loves Cosmic must have pretty good taste in games. And whenever I think I have something in common with some collection of BGGers, they say something that makes me feel like they're on an alien planet. There are a few surprisingly decent Magic communities, but I am neither able to play competitively often enough nor financially savvy enough to contribute much to them. I don't even know comics communities, weirdly, there are just writers about comics I like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, san il defanso, Dair

More
20 Mar 2013 11:44 #148057 by Black Barney
I hate Cosmic. That game is for doctors, scientists and other elitist snobs.

More
20 Mar 2013 15:01 - 20 Mar 2013 15:01 #148081 by bioball
Replied by bioball on topic Re: Everybody's hugging

Black Barney wrote: I hate Cosmic. That game is for doctors, scientists and other elitist snobs.

Fuck. As a scientist that likes Cosmic who's dating a doctor, the only way you could have pegged me harder is with a strap-on. But I ain't even mad.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2013 15:01 by bioball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, engineer Al, wadenels

More
20 Mar 2013 15:34 #148087 by SuperflyPete
I'm glad I could amuse you with my BGG antics, Nate...alas, I have no value now.

*heavy sigh*

More
20 Mar 2013 17:49 #148097 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Everybody's hugging
Hey, you only have to wait for half a year, then you're allowed to post with a new account on BGG again.

More
20 Mar 2013 17:53 #148098 by san il defanso

SuperflyTNT wrote: I'm glad I could amuse you with my BGG antics, Nate...alas, I have no value now.

*heavy sigh*

It's alright. We'll be your rebound girl.

More
20 Mar 2013 18:11 #148099 by SuperflyPete

Schweig! wrote: Hey, you only have to wait for half a year, then you're allowed to post with a new account on BGG again.

Let's put it this way - that would be like quitting smoking for a year and then starting up again just because you love the idea of getting cancer. Not going to happen.

My buddy Eric has been coming by and he set up a BGG account so he could get in on an auction (he used to use my account) and apparently BGG has IP banning or something because he ended up getting his account nuked.

Ocvtavian sent me a 'Pete, you're banned, quit it' e-mail and I was like, "are you serious?". I'm so amazingly done with BGG that the only thing I'll use it for is to look up things at this point. No auctions, because that would put money into the fund from the marketplace purchases.

My buddy Jim flew in on Monday and I warned him not to log into BGG because Octavian would think I was using his account and close that one too. What a clusterfuck.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds