October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

True Fortress Ameritrash Confessions

More
24 Apr 2014 10:52 #176450 by SebastianBludd
I always think QPCloudy's avatar looks like Tim Tebow doing a poolside impression of The Shadow.

I spend far more time pimping/improving/organizing my games than actually playing.

I don't understand the hyperbolic praise that the novel Dune gets. I like it well enough, I guess, but I wasn't blown away.

I just let my 9 year-old son watch 3 age-inappropriate AT movies because I did the same thing when I was a child and I thought he could handle it.

I have several OOP AT games that I haven't played yet/much and would like to get to the table (including Space Crusade w/ expansions), but the weekly game group that meets at our FLGS plays mostly Euros and I'm too timid to show up with my AT stuff. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2014 11:11 #176458 by Black Barney
What were the movies, Seb?

/legitimately interested

More
24 Apr 2014 12:18 #176468 by SebastianBludd
They were: Alien, Aliens, and Predator. I kept the mood light during the chestburster scene in Alien; I explained how the actress who screamed when she was hit by the blood was legitimately freaked out because she had no idea it was going to happen, etc. He was scared during the movie but not overly so, I kept a close eye on him since I was using the movie as a barometer to see if I'd let him watch Aliens.

He wasn't disturbed at all by Aliens and I think it was his favorite of the three.

The only thing I censored was muting the dirty jokes in Predator. I didn't feel like trying to explain to my son the concept of vaginal acoustics as it pertains to joke-telling. FWIW, we watched the first half hour and got interrupted and had to start it up again, and he specifically requested to rewatch the scene where Billy finds Hopper & company's skinned bodies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tin0men

More
24 Apr 2014 12:41 #176470 by ubarose
This is really dumb, but I feel hurt when I find out that F:ATies were at a Con I was at, and they found other F:ATies and played games with them, but they didn't take a moment to identify themselves to me and say hello, especially when I stopped by their table to say hello to the F:ATies I knew or recognized, or they were sitting just a table or two over from me. I know it is totally self centered, but I always feel like I'm pretty identifiable as I'm usually the only short, ginger female in the room. I know gamers are subject to tunnel vision when playing, but what do I have do? Wear long white gloves and walk up to every table of potential F:ATies and say "Hello everybody! My name is Shellie Rose. What's yours?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, jeb, Black Barney, ThirstyMan

More
24 Apr 2014 12:50 #176471 by OldHippy

SebastianBludd wrote: They were: Alien, Aliens, and Predator.

Alien seems like it would be the toughest one. I remember when it came out on VHS and all the adults in the house were sitting down to watch it and I had to go to bed. I was probably about 8 or so (it came out in theaters when I was 6 or 7 so I'm guessing here). I begged and begged my dad to let me watch it. I had heard about it from the older kids and really wanted to see this thing. My Dad tried to convince me that I would get too scared, that I would get nightmares, I swore upside down and sideways that that would never happen. I was a big boy and I'd be fine.

So he agreed... whoooppppeeee!!!!

They put the movie on, I sit down next to Dad, the movie starts. I see some people in space suits, a giant alien statue like thing, and then the title comes on the screen. Just that word: "Alien" in green letters.

I just about shit my pants and ran upstairs to my room. Explaining as I ran away "Yeah, I'm actually pretty tired guys, maybe I'll watch it later, good night."

I could still hear them laughing downstairs as I tossed and turned. Nothing even happened, the mood was just so well done that I was immediately terrified.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!, Dr. Mabuse, DeletedUser, Black Barney, tin0men, wice

More
24 Apr 2014 13:11 #176477 by Sagrilarus

ubarose wrote: This is really dumb, but I feel hurt when I find out that F:ATies were at a Con I was at, and they found other F:ATies and played games with them, but they didn't take a moment to identify themselves to me and say hello, especially when I stopped by their table to say hello to the F:ATies I knew or recognized, or they were sitting just a table or two over from me. I know it is totally self centered, but I always feel like I'm pretty identifiable as I'm usually the only short, ginger female in the room. I know gamers are subject to tunnel vision when playing, but what do I have do? Wear long white gloves and walk up to every table of potential F:ATies and say "Hello everybody! My name is Shellie Rose. What's yours?"

Don't make me tell my story again!

S.

More
24 Apr 2014 13:23 #176482 by SebastianBludd

JonJacob wrote: Alien seems like it would be the toughest one.

Mazian (that's another confession right there: I named my eldest son after a C.J. Cherryh character because we were convinced he was going to be a girl and we didn't even have a boy's name picked out) is a terrible talker during movies. As in, he will miss clues and plot points because he was talking over dialogue that would answer his subsequent questions. It's a constant battle, but I relaxed that rule for these movies for the express purpose of breaking immersion in the hope that his chatter would defuse any of his anxiety.

My 3 older siblings are 8, 10, and 12 years older than I am, so I was just up and exposed to movies I wasn't ready for (it also didn't help that our household was an early adopter of HBO). But my motivation with Mazy wasn't to scar him, it was more that one of my fondest memories growing up was watching Conan the Barbarian for the first time with my father when it was on HBO.

More
24 Apr 2014 13:49 #176488 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote:

ubarose wrote: This is really dumb, but I feel hurt when I find out that F:ATies were at a Con I was at, and they found other F:ATies and played games with them, but they didn't take a moment to identify themselves to me and say hello, especially when I stopped by their table to say hello to the F:ATies I knew or recognized, or they were sitting just a table or two over from me. I know it is totally self centered, but I always feel like I'm pretty identifiable as I'm usually the only short, ginger female in the room. I know gamers are subject to tunnel vision when playing, but what do I have do? Wear long white gloves and walk up to every table of potential F:ATies and say "Hello everybody! My name is Shellie Rose. What's yours?"

Don't make me tell my story again!

S.

Well yes, that is another reason I know it is dumb to feel this way. I have been told by several people that my "I'm too vain to wear my bifocals so am trying to look at you over or out the side of my glasses" expression looks more like "Who the hell are you" and/or "Fuck off and die." So I finally got a pair of mid-range progressives, but I'm constantly misplacing them.

More
24 Apr 2014 13:58 #176489 by Black Barney
Jesus, Seb, when you said you let your kid watch movies, I was secretly saying to myself, "geez, I hope it's not Alien or Aliens, I watched both WAY before I should have and had nightmares on top of nightmares"

It's so weird, and very American, to hear how the cursing needs to be censored but the absolute insane violence is totally fine. Those are the only times that American culture feels foreign to me.

Aliens is my favourite movie of all time and I think Alien is the scariest or one of the scariest movies of all time. I watched Aliens when I was 12 or 13 and didn't sleep for an entire summer. My dad watched Alien in movie theatres (when it came out in 78/79) and I'm told didn't sleep for two nights. I heard this story when I was a kid and became obsessed with seeing it. No one would let me. Everytime we'd walk into a video store (remember those?!) I'd walk to the sci-fi section (why wasn't it in the horror section??) and look at the back of the box. There was a shot of John Hurt looking into the egg. Because I'm a kid with an active imagination, i had to connect the dots. Whatever the finished image was of that connected imagined design, the result was terrifying. I had no idea what the movie was about. I knew there was a scary smokey green egg on the cover and some dude looking into the egg on that back cover. The front cover also read, "No one in space can hear you scream" and now young Barney, you have to figure out what happens in this movie your mom says you can't watch. Holy shit. I was so, so scared.

Finally when I was 12-13, i talked a babysitter into renting Aliens and man was I scared.

Anyway today's kids are tougher so your kid will hopefully be better off than I was. Him asking to rewatch the scene of the skinned corpses.... I dunno.

JJ's story also happened to me exactly like that but the adults were watching The Howling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
24 Apr 2014 14:30 #176491 by SuperflyPete
I saw Night of the Living Dead in 1980, when I was 5. I'll never forget it. I was scared shitless, and had nightmares for 10 years.

Fucking awesome.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds