October 09, 2023
2601 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2800 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Free, old school, online turn-based Avalon Hill games

More
16 Jul 2014 16:04 #182383 by Dr. Mabuse
I had no idea this even existed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2014 19:57 - 16 Jul 2014 20:04 #182391 by Sagrilarus
Alright I'm in, and it's asking for movement. I'm second in the line and right on Doc's stern so it's a pretty safe bet it's implementing simultaneous movement like in the cardboard version. Have you guys pre-plotted your movement yet? Do we want to set ground rules on working with our wingman? Offline kibbitzing legal? Only at the start?

By the way, it says it fires automatically. Does that means it decides to fire, or we decide to fire and it handles the details?

S.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2014 20:04 by Sagrilarus.

More
16 Jul 2014 21:13 #182392 by ozjesting
Replied by ozjesting on topic Re: Wooden Ships Iron Men
I cant figure if we apply our turns separately than the moves are simultaneous...or is it open to all of us to set move than when last guy finishes away we sail? I just set my move...but still need to look into firing rules as that seems auto?

Confused, but excited to have the salt spray in my face! ;)

As to meta game...happy to have PMs replace secure radio channels for aid and planning.

More
16 Jul 2014 22:33 #182393 by ratpfink
Replied by ratpfink on topic Re: Wooden Ships Iron Men
I haven't played on youplay.it for awhile, but have done quite a bit of WS&IM and Blue Max on that site. As I recall, firing is auto but you can set a minimum HDT for each side of your ship. I think the default is 0 but you don't do very much damage, if any, when you are on that table. You get a bonus on your first broadside for each side of the ship so I typically put the minimum HDT at a higher # to make the most of my first volley. Otherwise it fires automatically at whatever ship would result in the highest HDT.

Movement is simultaneous, which leads to some real clusterfucks when you have a bunch of ships sailing in a line.

Basic rules don't add very much, mostly boarding and melee as I recall, you shouldn't be concerned about jumping right to those.

I'd be in if anyone sets up other games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Cranberries

More
17 Jul 2014 09:51 #182407 by Dr. Mabuse
Thanks for the tips ratpfink!

More
17 Jul 2014 16:36 #182445 by Cranberries
There's a fourteen player game called "Pirate's revenge" using the basic rules that I just joined as well. It has a few open slots. I'm "Hell Shark." I bet it takes six months to finish that scenario.

More
17 Jul 2014 21:28 - 17 Jul 2014 22:22 #182460 by ozjesting
How do you read the HDT chart? on latest turn I had my value set to 3 and sure enough it fired at Doc and ripped his sails for 3damage. But his shio was set to 4 it appears so he didnt fire.

Looking at the charts I cant seem to see what determines a shot. Any help?

cheers

edit: Also, does "facing" have any effect as a target? I know it matters for shooting...but can you slim your profile to avoid hits?
Last edit: 17 Jul 2014 22:22 by ozjesting.

More
17 Jul 2014 22:29 - 17 Jul 2014 22:35 #182463 by Sagrilarus
Alright, I had to get my real rules out to decipher this. First off, range is 6, the number of hexes from beside your ship to touching his. This is basic rules, so your entire broadside is to bear on him. Nine guns. Since you're in his broadside as well you don't have a rake. (The definition in the official rules is just that -- if you're in your opponent's broadside zone you don't get the rake bonus.)

Look on the top table, the line for 9 guns firing. We're going to run the length of that line of numbers. Range of six puts your base hit at -1. Crew quality is "crack" so you get a +2. You have no loss of crew yet. It's an initial broadside so +2 for carefully loaded guns, no rake, your ship isn't a captured vessel, you're firing round shot (into the sails no less . . . rookie) so there's no mod for that. -1 + 2 + 2 = 3 which satisfies your firing criteria. You roll on the "Number 3" table underneath and apparently you rolled a 4 which is three rigging.

That was one of the questions I had -- does selecting 3 mean 3 on the range chart, or 3 after all modifiers. This indicates it's after all modifiers, and good news because you guys figured it out before we did.

S.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2014 22:35 by Sagrilarus.

More
17 Jul 2014 22:42 #182464 by Dr. Mabuse

Sagrilarus wrote: Alright, I had to get my real rules out to decipher this. First off, range is 6, the number of hexes from beside your ship to touching his. This is basic rules, so your entire broadside is to bear on him. Nine guns. Since you're in his broadside as well you don't have a rake. (The definition in the official rules is just that -- if you're in your opponent's broadside zone you don't get the rake bonus.)

Look on the top table, the line for 9 guns firing. We're going to run the length of that line of numbers. Range of six puts your base hit at -1. Crew quality is "crack" so you get a +2. You have no loss of crew yet. It's an initial broadside so +2 for carefully loaded guns, no rake, your ship isn't a captured vessel, you're firing round shot (into the sails no less . . . rookie) so there's no mod for that. -1 + 2 + 2 = 3 which satisfies your firing criteria.

That was one of the questions I had -- does selecting 3 mean 3 on the range chart, or 3 after all modifiers. This indicates it's after all modifiers, and good news because you guys figured it out before we did.

S.

Looks like I was aiming at Oz's Hull which is a no go at that distance. So after the mod is figured out does your die roll need to be >/= the modifier?

More
17 Jul 2014 22:50 #182465 by Sagrilarus

ozjesting wrote: Also, does "facing" have any effect as a target? I know it matters for shooting...but can you slim your profile to avoid hits?

It does, but in a bad way. Most naval shots miss long or short not left or right, so the enemy firing the length of your ship is a disadvantage. It also gives them twice as much rigging to run into on the way through. "Slimming" your profile is putting your long side in the direction of the enemy. Giving them your bow or stern gives them that +3 rake bonus, which would have given you 4 rig, 1 gun and 1 hull damage instead of 3 rig.

S.

More
17 Jul 2014 22:56 - 17 Jul 2014 22:58 #182466 by Sagrilarus

Dr. Mabuse wrote: So after the mod is figured out does your die roll need to be >/= the modifier?

Neither. You don't roll to hit in Wooden Ships & Iron Men. You roll for damage only. I guess they figure with nine guns you must bang into something or another. Once Oz's fully modified number came up as a 3 he moved to the "Number 3" Hit Table underneath the HDT. He's gonna damage something, the roll of one d6 determines what it is. It appears he rolled a 4, which indicates "3R" or 3 rig damage.

S.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2014 22:58 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
17 Jul 2014 23:03 #182467 by Dr. Mabuse
Okay, thanks for the clarification and apologies for the tactical error.

Flying downwind towards enemy vessel: bad.

More
17 Jul 2014 23:08 #182468 by Sagrilarus

Dr. Mabuse wrote: Okay, thanks for the clarification and apologies for the tactical error.

Flying downwind towards enemy vessel: bad.

Going nose up to him, even worse. For the moment he's reloading so you get a turn to play. But the rake is +3 and the damage tables climb pretty doggone quickly!

This is about as easy and about as engaging (ahem) as wargaming can get. The basic rules are plenty, and even the advanced rules are awfully simple.

S.

More
17 Jul 2014 23:34 - 17 Jul 2014 23:35 #182469 by ozjesting
Can you explain "rake" again please. I am taking it to mean perpendicular...is that correct? So if I am north to south and my target is east to west...that is a rake for me?

Is rake a yes or no question, or are there degrees?

But thanks for the rest, I see it now. The mod number you want is very handy to know when clicking those check boxes ;)

oh...do you only get Inital Broadside bonus once? Once per different target?
Last edit: 17 Jul 2014 23:35 by ozjesting. Reason: another question

More
17 Jul 2014 23:42 - 17 Jul 2014 23:43 #182470 by Sagrilarus
A rake is when your guns are shooting at the bow or the stern of your enemy's ship, down the length of their ship. It's an ideal shot for you.

Initial broadside is in play for the first volley from each side of your ship. So you have one left on the other side of your ship.

The bonus recognizes the careful measurement and loading of clean weapons prior to to the rush of battle. Once that first volley goes you're in panic mode and things don't get done as carefully.

S.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2014 23:43 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozjesting, Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds