October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2715 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

I deleted my Facebook account

More
28 Nov 2014 12:34 - 28 Nov 2014 12:39 #191565 by Cranberries
This is by far the most extreme thing I've done in years, which is sad really. I just got tired of someone else controlling my feed, and the politics and drama. It felt like I was staring into my past at old friends who aren't really friends any more, or learning about the children and pets of people I associate with professionally. Also, I was getting tired of suspending my account when I got too busy at work. I backed it up, and I believe that I kept everyone's email addresses, but I could be wrong. Another thing is I'm living overseas for seven more months, and I want to focus on being here and my family, not living in two places at once. This article about the social impact of sharing information about vacations pushed me over the edge, as I've been basically sharing vacation photos for over a year, essentially.

www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/283516.php

Last edit: 28 Nov 2014 12:39 by Cranberries.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2014 13:38 #191568 by ThirstyMan
I understand it takes a while to fully delete.

I think its a month. If, in that time, you log in, the delete is cancelled.

May be you have more up to date info though.

More
28 Nov 2014 14:08 #191570 by DukeofChutney
i've never quite gone as far as deleting my account, though i do often delete 'friends' and in general make attempts to cull the crap chucked at my face.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
28 Nov 2014 14:36 #191573 by Black Barney
I had Facebook for a week and then deleted my account. I absolutely hated it. Narcissitic playground, just a bunch of phonie baloneys, so much positioning...

And worst of all, the vast majority of people friending me were people I didn't really want to reconnect with at all.

NO THANKS

congrats on deleting your account!

More
28 Nov 2014 14:45 #191574 by Disgustipater
I deleted my account several years ago. I've never thought about it since. Anyone I'm interested in interacting with I will do directly.
I did set up a dummy account for the rare occasion that someone links to something on Facebook I want to see.

Good riddance.

More
28 Nov 2014 14:52 - 28 Nov 2014 14:53 #191575 by OldHippy
I salute you sir, wish I could do the same.

Years ago there was a rumor that you could not delete your FB account. My brother had signed up, hated it, and then couldn't delete it. Around the same time I had read a newspaper article about how some asshole had an account under the name Paul Bernardo with interests like 'little girls' and what not (he was an awful serial rapist and possibly murderer in Canada) and he had his account deleted by FB.

I told my Brother and he thought this was brilliant so he set up his account in the same way. But it was never deleted because he never used it so no one really knew what he had done. So the account still exists and to this day when he send me an e-mail from his google account there is a little thumbnail of Paul Bernardo attached.

I hope he doesn't use that account for business.

Personally I keep and update mine. It's mostly for promoting our band and organizing events but I get caught up in the shit some time. It's pretty horrible most of the time but there are a couple of people on there I really like. I find it kind of fascinating.

Obviously we don't see who real people are but instead some weird idealized version of themselves.. I find that interesting.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2014 14:53 by OldHippy.

More
28 Nov 2014 15:15 #191576 by Black Barney
mini-hijack here, sorry...

JJ, I had read that Karla Homolka had taken up residence somewhere in Montreal (NDG neighbourhood I think). I keep wondering if I'm going to run into her one day. If I do, or I see her drive by, I think I would feel compelled to throw something at her. Like a full Tim Horton's coffee or something like that, I don't know. I'd love to throw her under a bus but I don't think I have the stones for that.

But yeah, I think I'd have to throw something at her, i don't think I have a choice. What do you think? Would you do anything?

More
28 Nov 2014 15:17 #191577 by Gary Sax
The thing I did that made facebook work better for me was only friend people who I was actually friends with and had seen in the past, say, 5 years. I think I have a little less than 100 friends and it helped, little/no drama and I can post what I want knowing that it actually consisted of people I knew.

Deleting it makes sense, though, if that works best for you. It's a cesspool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
28 Nov 2014 15:56 - 28 Nov 2014 15:56 #191579 by Disgustipater

Gary Sax wrote: The thing I did that made facebook work better for me was only friend people who I was actually friends with and had seen in the past, say, 5 years. I think I have a little less than 100 friends

100 is your pared down list?! I think I had 30 at the most. I guess I have no friends.

Edit - Although I didn't have any family on mine.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2014 15:56 by Disgustipater.

More
28 Nov 2014 16:16 #191580 by OldHippy

Black Barney wrote: mini-hijack here, sorry...

JJ, I had read that Karla Homolka had taken up residence somewhere in Montreal (NDG neighbourhood I think). I keep wondering if I'm going to run into her one day. If I do, or I see her drive by, I think I would feel compelled to throw something at her. Like a full Tim Horton's coffee or something like that, I don't know. I'd love to throw her under a bus but I don't think I have the stones for that.

But yeah, I think I'd have to throw something at her, i don't think I have a choice. What do you think? Would you do anything?

I'd be very tempted for sure. She should be in jail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
28 Nov 2014 17:20 #191585 by Sagrilarus
I created an account to park my boy's Dragonvale account on, and before I had completed the sign-up process I had 32 friends. Apparently Facebook camps on your email address waiting for it to appear, then instalinks you to everyone who has your address in their email books. They hounded me to friend them back for a bit and then gave up. That was kind of amusing.

I have two facebook accounts now, don't actually use either one of them.

S.

More
28 Nov 2014 18:26 - 28 Nov 2014 18:28 #191588 by Sevej
I found mine really useful. Anything I don't like I just hide them from view. I rarely unfriend friends. I even have Islamic extremist wanna be and a very obnoxious house wife (who was my high school friend).

I use it to keep track of my friend (I *love* stalking people), and there are some really good friends who are really interesting. It also keep me up to date: I know about US politics, the race tension, even about the NFL guy who punched his wife. I first knew about Scotland referendum from Facebook.

I used to play a game like crazy, that I added random strangers for it. But now when the game was shut down, some of these random strangers turned out to be real people. They're interesting. I've got pinoy, republican, lesbian, trucker (!).

I tend to ignore obnoxious links that people share. In fact, I just bought a can of Pringles because someone posted about Pringles being cancerous. Not to spite her, but rather the article used a *really* mouth watering picture of Pringles, and I haven't had Pringles for months.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2014 18:28 by Sevej.

More
28 Nov 2014 20:38 #191593 by engineer Al
I am on the FB very rarely. I have a friend who deleted his account years ago. Recently I was on and FB directed me to his page. I thought he was back on and was gonna leave a message until I noticed the last post on his page was five years old. Yes, it was his old account, still banging around on the interwebs. We will all live forever!

More
28 Nov 2014 22:30 #191597 by ThirstyMan
I think you have to specifically ask FB for a delete and then they are obliged to follow through by law, I think. Inactivity and deleting just your friends is not a full delete. May be that's what happened.

More
28 Nov 2014 22:46 - 28 Nov 2014 23:13 #191600 by Cranberries
Facebook makes you wait two weeks before they delete your account. Yesterday was the end of that two week period, so I'm assuming it's dead now. I've won contests on Facebook and had some good discussions, but the ratio of good stuff to wasted time is not very promising. It bothered me that there was this thing I felt compelled to use all the time but increasingly didn't care for.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2014 23:13 by Cranberries.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds