October 09, 2023
2522 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Your Game Group Name/Location

More
14 Jul 2015 10:55 - 14 Jul 2015 10:57 #206227 by Mr. White
A few weeks ago, Mad Dog posted an article about gaming in 'The Doghouse'. Over the years, several other folks have mentioned names of their gaming club or spot (Swamp Castle and Hellfire Club come to mind).

So, what is your group's name? How'd it come about? Where do you game?

My group's main gaming location has been my detached garage, The Pit, named after the GI Joe headquarters, but also a nod to GWAR's Slave Pit. It can get toasty in there in the summer, but we've got a few fans and a beverage cooler. To nerd it out proper, we've got some Maiden and Sword flags hanging, a small tv/dvd combo, and a cd player if necessary. It's a fun little sanctuary to get away from the world and relive the glorious days of playing in the basement as kids.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2015 10:57 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, OldHippy, Frohike, engineer Al, DukeofChutney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2015 11:18 #206228 by ubarose
We host F:AT Thursday in the Lair of the True Believers. It is open to any F:ATies in the area or passing through (we have a guest room for those that need to crash for the night).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Frohike, repoman, DukeofChutney

More
14 Jul 2015 11:43 #206229 by Michael Barnes
The Hellfire Club is usually a Sunday event, sometimes Thursday. It is held in a converted industrial warehouse in a really shady part of Atlanta. I am not joking. All are welcome with advance notice and a extensive credentialing process. Full bar (as in an actual bar), occult artwork, jokes about the Dutch, crossbows and martial arts training available. If you're lucky Keren (designer of Xenoshyft) will make dinner and Erekh will make a pastry.

Swamp Castle has recently started back up, Wednesday nights. I may actually make it this week. This is Frank Branham'a thing, so come expecting to play some weird ass bullshit. Or Rock Band. Awesome place to play, it's a cross between the Munsters house and the Scarface mansion.

Gaming by Michael is at my house whenever I can get some folks to come over including many Atlanta Game Factory alumni. You are probably not invited.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Frohike, scrumpyjack

More
14 Jul 2015 12:21 #206230 by iguanaDitty
I game with people from work every other week or so at a location I like to call "someone's house".

I used to game with KingPut and DrC but I suck and the drive back home is a bit prohibitively far.

This thread is prompting me to come up with a name for our group, so thanks for that.

More
14 Jul 2015 12:30 #206232 by Mr. White
The Pit is where gaming proper (minis, rpgs, AT titles) goes down with my friends that have been lifelong gamers. This group I've gamed with forever. The group itself doesn't have a name but the location does.

The Casual Players Club is a group of folks I met through my son's Montessori school. They aren't gamers by birth, but like a game of Citadels, Condotierre, Settlers and the like. The Casual Players usually meet at a bar or at someone's house.

More
14 Jul 2015 13:16 #206235 by ChristopherMD
My place isn't actually called the Doghouse nor do any of my friends call me Mad Dog.

I do most of my gaming nowadays at my rented house, which is called The Cush since before I lived there. If any FATties are in my area
Warning: Spoiler!
let me know and maybe we can game some afternoon/evening.

More
14 Jul 2015 13:40 - 14 Jul 2015 13:45 #206237 by Michael Barnes
Naming your game group is important. You wouldn't start a street gang and not give it a name, would you?

For years I played with the Brown Puddin' Lads. Long story. Lots of ATL luminaries were BPLs Branham, Steve Avery, Robert Martin, Dan Baden, Billy Motion, Mark Zoghby...we had a "Time to Shine" game selection system that gave everyone a chance to pick. Sometimes there were exotic food tastings, like the time Frank brought cream pull candy and made everyone sick.

I actually didn't have a name for my irregular, semi-casual thing. But since that's a group where I pretty much supply everything we play and it's at my house, Gaming by Michael it is.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2015 13:45 by Michael Barnes.

More
14 Jul 2015 13:58 #206241 by ChristopherMD
Streetgang by Michael is pretty intimidating.

More
14 Jul 2015 14:05 #206242 by Shellhead

Mad Dog wrote: Streetgang by Michael is pretty intimidating.

Sounds like a bottle of department store cologne.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, ChristopherMD, DukeofChutney

More
14 Jul 2015 14:26 #206244 by SuperflyPete
Superfly Circus, and the reason is that we're a bunch of fucking clowns. It's open to anyone, anytime, but expect massive amounts of billowing dope smoke, inappropriate jokes and waiting forever for people to take their turns.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
14 Jul 2015 14:45 #206247 by Ska_baron
I've hosted a gaming weekend most years for a while now dubbed "JonCon" creatively because my name is Jon and it rhymes. These are more of an event with tournaments, points, prizes, tshirts, elaborate emails, etc. and open to a wide group of gamer friends and interested sig others.

Recently though even getting together to play TI3 has been referred to as JonCon, so I may just roll with it as "small chapter meeting of JonCon" when it's not the full blown extravaganza.

We're in Fredericksburg, VA since it's equidistant from NoVa, VA Beach, Richmond, points West. Just more convenient logistically, plus then I don't feel as bad about directing what games get played.

More
14 Jul 2015 14:55 #206249 by boothwah

Shellhead wrote:

Mad Dog wrote: Streetgang by Michael is pretty intimidating.

Sounds like a bottle of department store cologne.

Q & D :

File Attachment:
det-cologne-ad-thunderfoot-wp1 by boothwah , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney, Columbob, OldHippy, engineer Al, wadenels

More
14 Jul 2015 17:32 #206256 by Black Barney
lol, is the original name of the cologne the one on the bottle? It's even dumber than our made-up Street Gang

More
14 Jul 2015 22:48 #206284 by OldHippy
There is lots of "you're out of the club" .... "ok, ok, you're back in now" that goes on in our group. As people do certain moves either that help or hinder someone.

Our names have always been done as a joke. Wet Bone Gang is what we use now and due to the title no one really wants to be a part of it. I completely understand. When we were younger we sarcastically (not ironically) called ourselves the Big Boys Club and we often abbreviated it to the BBC... but the internet ruined that. We even had a theme song that was pretty cool and honorary members that were just minor celebrities we thought were cool.

More
14 Jul 2015 23:07 #206286 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Your Game Group Name/Location
Well, normally I'm not one for groups, but in the last year or so I've been hanging around with the same people. They have a place called Folks. folks.id

I've been wearing the apron time to time, when I occasionally drop by and have to teach some of the customers.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds