Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

TOPIC: Shelving

Shelving 09 Apr 2017 16:06 #246234

So looking to upgrade my shelving from the hand me down situation I currently have. Seems that Ikea's Kallax shelves are standard issue but they want to charge me like $100 to ship them and the closest store is 2 hours away in NoVa.

WalMart has these Better Homes and Garden shelves that look similar. Anyone have any experience with these? Sounds like the finish on them isn't as nice, but to be honest I'm not that worried about scuffs or scratches on the finish. I am however worried about how well they'll hold up, especially since I'll probably be moving in the next year or so and have had some poor experiences with cheap particle board furniture coming out wobbly on the other end of a move.
  • ufe20
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 140
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Shelving 09 Apr 2017 16:44 #246238

I use the older version of the Ikea shelves and I do love them... ended up trying some other stuff but it didn't meet the Ikea standard, so I paid the shipping. Never found anything better for games, with their irregular size.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2502

Shelving 09 Apr 2017 18:32 #246247

Have you tried looking on Overstock? The shipping from there is reasonable. I have a bedroom set that has lasted about 10 years and two moves.
Last Edit: 09 Apr 2017 18:32 by the_jake_1973.

Shelving 10 Apr 2017 09:36 #246270

m.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-Tier-48-in-x-18-...dpn0Ldw&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have these, and they're both easy to assemble/disassemble and ridiculously durable. They look nice, too.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3441
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

Shelving 10 Apr 2017 10:12 #246271

I second Pete's phenomenal suggestion. I have one for games and a couple in the garage to hold non-game stuff. They last a long time though you can ruin the plastic sleeve bracket given enough moves/adjustments.
  • barrowdown
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 262

Shelving 10 Apr 2017 10:13 #246272

SuperflyTNT wrote:
m.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-Tier-48-in-x-18-...dpn0Ldw&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have these, and they're both easy to assemble/disassemble and ridiculously durable. They look nice, too.

I got the plastic version, and they are also extremely durable. Like Pete says, easy to assemble and breakdown. They are also somewhat modular - you could take one kit and make it into two shorter sets of shelves.

m.homedepot.com/p/HDX-36-in-W-x-72-in-H-...nit-128974/100006678
  • Msample
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 659

Shelving 10 Apr 2017 10:20 #246273

Are these going out in an open-air utility shed? No? Then don't get metal/plastic. Get something nice that you'll love. Pay the shipping fee if you have to in order to get something that makes you happy every time you look at it.

Nice Shelves
  • bryce0lynch
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 67

Shelving 10 Apr 2017 12:28 #246277

My shelves are painted brown and match the decor of the rest of the area...and they look good. I mean, if I want some nice wooden shelves, I could buy some lumber and make them (as I have in the rest of my home) but honestly, I don't really view shelves as anything but a means to an end - to store games. Just my 2c.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3441
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

Shelving 10 Apr 2017 13:05 #246282

We drove about 4 hours each way to get the Kallax. We made a day and a half of it, though (thankfully, not all at Ikea).
  • jpat
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 246

Shelving 10 Apr 2017 14:04 #246285

Everytime I see this stupid topic in the forums I double-take thinking it is about Shaving. I'm anxious to see some discussion around that one day cuz i know I must be doing my coinpurse all wrong
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2873
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds