October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

So like... Because like... Then like...

More
09 Feb 2011 08:07 #87247 by El Cuajinais
I was listening to a podcast this morning and at one point there was this person speaking who used the word "like" every other sentence. It was a bit painful to listen to. I've met a fare share of Americans who talk that way. Do other English speakers fall victim of this phenomenon or is it mainly an American thing? I think it is mostly young people who use it, but I honestly can't imagine how difficult it must be to break the habit once it becomes so deeply engrained in your brain. It comes as naturally as breathing to some people. If you go back 50 years, did anyone talk this way?

Also, are there equivalent words/phrases in other languages? Here in Puerto Rico I have heard some people frequently use, "como que" in the exact same context and manner as "like", but I don't think it's as widespread as the English "like".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2011 08:15 #87251 by dan daly
It started in the 1980's in California. It was originally largely mocked as the way "valley girls" speak, but "like" spread it's insidious tentacles throughout the American vocabulary. In general it's use peaks in the teenage years, and with proper treatment you can recover from the affliction as you move into adulthood.

More
09 Feb 2011 08:34 #87253 by Dair
My son falls into this occasionally and I try to remind him that he doesn't need to use like. He hasn't done it lately, so maybe he is cured.

God I hope so, because that is so, like, annoying.

More
09 Feb 2011 10:13 #87264 by Chapel
I usually find that teens(or older) who are just not very confidant with their speech will do this incessantly. Lived in New Mexico, Arizona and California growing up, so am quite familiar with the insane amount of "like...like..like...like" Drives me up the fucking wall. Then again because I'm a west coaster, I do still have the residual "dude" going on. The one word I haven't gotten ride of even at age 40. :)

More
09 Feb 2011 10:26 #87265 by Gary Sax
You grow out of it a little, as Chapel said. It's really almost punctuation, or akin to saying ummmm. I still have residual likes and dudes but is has subsided quite a bit. I still sometimes use it quite a bit when talking to close friends but never/almost never use it professionally.

More
09 Feb 2011 11:07 - 09 Feb 2011 11:10 #87272 by OldHippy
It's like super fucking common in ummmm, like, Canada, dude, ya know? Thanks to Zappa I guess, as Dan Daly points out.

It doesn't bother me anymore, although I wouldn't listen to a podcast of it, I just mean kids talk how they want and I just KNOW I would not get a long with myself if I met me 15 years ago. So they are free to be idiots too, I undetstand.

I will tease though. If it's used unnecessarily ie: "so then I, like, went to this club.." I will question this; "So you did not go to the club but you did something similar, JUST TELL ME WHAT IT WAS, the tension is killing me!". That's just filler and they need time for their brain to catch up to their mouth. Fine.

If it's used as a replacement for a word that does the job better I correct them if I feel comfortable enough; "So then I was like... and he was like..." That's awfull and it's being used to replace "said" which is a perfectly fine single syllable word. Why replace it?

English is alive and constantly changing in different directions in different places. We have to accept it.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2011 11:10 by OldHippy.

More
09 Feb 2011 13:50 #87322 by Mr MOTO
Some said...

"English is alive and constantly changing in different directions in different places. We have to accept it."

Screw that, I'm starting my "Back to Latin" campaign, right now.

More
09 Feb 2011 14:54 #87342 by ubarose
JonJacob wrote:

It's like super fucking common in ummmm, like, Canada, dude, ya know? Thanks to Zappa I guess, as Dan Daly points out.

It doesn't bother me anymore, although I wouldn't listen to a podcast of it, I just mean kids talk how they want and I just KNOW I would not get a long with myself if I met me 15 years ago. So they are free to be idiots too, I undetstand.

I will tease though. If it's used unnecessarily ie: "so then I, like, went to this club.." I will question this; "So you did not go to the club but you did something similar, JUST TELL ME WHAT IT WAS, the tension is killing me!". That's just filler and they need time for their brain to catch up to their mouth. Fine.

If it's used as a replacement for a word that does the job better I correct them if I feel comfortable enough; "So then I was like... and he was like..." That's awfull and it's being used to replace "said" which is a perfectly fine single syllable word. Why replace it?

English is alive and constantly changing in different directions in different places. We have to accept it.

Around here "like" has it's own specific meanings depending upon context.

Although "like" seems to be used instead of "said", it often doesn't mean the same thing.

It often means that someone felt or expressed something non-verbally.
Example: He was like, "WTF!."
This doesn't mean he actually said, "WTF!" It means that he expressed this emotion in his facial expression, body language or tone of voice.

It can also mean: I'm paraphrasing what was said. This is not an exact quote.

When used to describe an action, it usually indicates that the speaker is summarizing what happened. "...so then I, like, went to this club.." indicates that going to the club didn't directly follow whatever event she mentioned previously.

Finally it can be used as a shortened form of "something like," or "seemed like."

Overall, the use of 'like' indicates that the specifics are unimportant to the point being made, or the information being communicated.

For example:

He was like bored. So I was like "Let's watch TV." And he was like, whatever.

Translation: It seemed like he was bored, although he might have been angry, or tired or distracted or worried. I suggested that we watch TV, although I don't remember exactly what I said. I may have suggested that we watch a movie. He responded in a way that indicated that he was indifferent to my suggestion.

The point of the above communication within a larger conversation may be that he has been moody and difficult to please. The specifics of exactly what was said and done is unimportant.

More
09 Feb 2011 15:02 #87347 by Space Ghost
kind of like the "yada yada" from Seinfeld.

More
09 Feb 2011 15:42 #87360 by SuperflyPete
dan daly wrote:

It started in the 1980's in California. It was originally largely mocked as the way "valley girls" speak, but "like" spread it's insidious tentacles throughout the American vocabulary. In general it's use peaks in the teenage years, and with proper treatment you can recover from the affliction as you move into adulthood.

It's because most kids learn their English from TV these days, and The People's Republik of Kalifornia produces much of the TV ingested by the kiddies, so there ya have it.

The most recent iteration of "Is it illegal to strangle you for saying that?" is the "I know, right?" catchphrase that all tween girls seem to use.

More
09 Feb 2011 15:56 #87366 by Pat II
Like doesn't cut it anymore. If "like" isn't preceded by "all" then you just don't really mean it.

After reading this I'm all like, crazy 'n shit.

More
09 Feb 2011 16:11 #87374 by moofrank
There is a book which absolutely must be listened to as an audiobook called "Bite Me: A Love Story" which pretty much is the epitomy of valspeak. And one of the funniest things I've ever heard)

Problem is: it is the third book in a trilogy.

On the plus side, the main character is a valgirl Goth vampire wannabe who has the most amazing grasp of insane english language ever: "Oh my god, ponies on a barbecue!"

More
09 Feb 2011 16:33 #87381 by billyz
Gary Sax wrote:

You grow out of it a little, as Chapel said. It's really almost punctuation, or akin to saying ummmm. I still have residual likes and dudes but is has subsided quite a bit. I still sometimes use it quite a bit when talking to close friends but never/almost never use it professionally.

HOLY SHIT! YOU DO! Especially when you're tired!

HAHahhahahahahaha!

More
09 Feb 2011 17:38 #87398 by Black Barney
El Cuajinais wrote:

I was listening to a podcast this morning and at one point there was this person speaking who used the word "like" every other sentence. It was a bit painful to listen to. I've met a fare share of Americans who talk that way. Do other English speakers fall victim of this phenomenon or is it mainly an American thing? I think it is mostly young people who use it, but I honestly can't imagine how difficult it must be to break the habit once it becomes so deeply engrained in your brain. It comes as naturally as breathing to some people. If you go back 50 years, did anyone talk this way?

Also, are there equivalent words/phrases in other languages? Here in Puerto Rico I have heard some people frequently use, "como que" in the exact same context and manner as "like", but I don't think it's as widespread as the English "like".

I saw the thread title and immediately assumed it was Schweig complaining about it.

'like' doesn,t bother me, it's not nearly as annoying as 'whatever.' I would say 'dude' is MUCH more common nowadays. But there are some parts in North America where 'like' is used a ton. It's obviously age-driven though and adults don,t really use it. Some girls use it way more than others. Guys doN,t really say it much.

I've noticed it in French sometimes too. They say, 'genre' and just sprinkle it all over a conversation.

More
09 Feb 2011 18:11 #87402 by mjl1783

Screw that, I'm starting my "Back to Latin" campaign, right now.

Sic! Latin est vita et spiritum in meum lingua! Id oratum est bona!

Well, after after a few checks and corrections, I'm still pretty much unintelligible. Sorry, MOTO. I tried.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.409 seconds