October 09, 2023
2537 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
02 Jul 2014 15:38 #181515 by fastbilly1

jeb wrote: I like this guy. There are some diehard arcade fans here. You should whip up a blog post on that collection. I want to see some shots.

All my boardgames are in my library with alot of my books. My wife and I both are avid readers so we decided our living room should be our library. Here is a picture of the bookcases moments after we got the support bar attached to the wall and before they were filled:

The closed doors are books on the top, games on the bottom. Except the middle bookcase where the top floor is 3m styled Bookcase games. Ogre DE dominates the top of the middle bookcase now while Rebound and Shuffleboard are on the left one.

Unless you meant you wanted to see the videogame collection. Well thats in about fifty 50 gallon sterilite tubs split between my parents house in Atlanta, and mine up here in Tennessee. Everything stays in tubs until I get more shelving built in my basement/gameroom/den. But since it is the summer my wife and I have spent more time on our quarter acre garden, and her parents farm - we recently bought a fire engine we are converting to a vehicle hauler for hay harvesting.

topperware wrote: Hi FastBilly,

That's awesome. I have a friend who's been stockpiling arcade cabinets and boards.

Do you collect your NES games CIB? I've recently started collecting SNES games, and I'm having a blast. Also picking up GBA games as well.

I made the decision years ago to go cart only on games. But if it comes with the box or manual I am not going to say no. I have owned at one point pretty much every console released up to the sixth generation - including many oddballs like a Tapwave Zodiac, Apple/Bandai Pippin, and a Playdia. But a couple years ago people started offering me stupidly high amounts of money for things I paid nothing for (those arcade cabs I flipped I paid less than $50 for most of them, some were less than $5). And since I was about to get married, I thought it was about time to start paring down the collection to the stuff I really care about. So while I did at one point have two fullsets of PSX US released RPGs, I saw no reason in needing to keep any of them. Lets just say those years of playing Tetris makes my storage areas less of an eyesore...

I know the SNES library decently (a buddy of mine is missing 50 games from a complete), and I have played over half of the GBA library - I use to run a website dealing with portable games so we got games sent to us all the time. Any games in particular you looking for?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, scrumpyjack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2014 16:57 #181517 by Black Barney
what century is this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
02 Jul 2014 17:50 #181518 by Erik Twice
Woha, didn't expect to see you here too Fastbilly! Welcome :)

More
02 Jul 2014 20:04 #181523 by topperware
For the GBA, my two holy grail games are Car Battler Joe and Ninja Five-0, but I don't think I'd pay the going rate for either.

There is a ton of stuff I want for SNES, but again, I doubt I'd pay market prices. Wild Guns, Mr. Nutz and a host of other games. I'm content just collecting the more common, "cheaper" stuff for now.

I'm a CIB guy, so I'm extremely jealous of your cart-only decision. Being cart-only would be so much better for my wallet, but I just have this dumb mental block where I feel like I "need" the box and instructions. It's especially weird considering I store my carts separately from my boxes. Oh well.

More
02 Jul 2014 20:17 - 02 Jul 2014 20:18 #181524 by ChristopherMD
I still have my GBA SP and about 10 games (carts only). Could never bring myself to get rid of it and probably never will even though I'm much more likely to play an iOS game nowadays.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2014 20:18 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
03 Jul 2014 09:34 #181542 by fastbilly1

Erik Twice wrote: Woha, didn't expect to see you here too Fastbilly! Welcome :)

You know you cant get away from me. I am learning Spanish so I can follow you on facebook next. Youll just have to be promoted to General, Norris. Truth be told, Ive been coming to the site for years, just never thought to open an account on the forum.

topperware wrote: For the GBA, my two holy grail games are Car Battler Joe and Ninja Five-0, but I don't think I'd pay the going rate for either.

There is a ton of stuff I want for SNES, but again, I doubt I'd pay market prices. Wild Guns, Mr. Nutz and a host of other games. I'm content just collecting the more common, "cheaper" stuff for now.

I'm a CIB guy, so I'm extremely jealous of your cart-only decision. Being cart-only would be so much better for my wallet, but I just have this dumb mental block where I feel like I "need" the box and instructions. It's especially weird considering I store my carts separately from my boxes. Oh well.

I bought CBJ and Ninja Five0 when they came out. CBJ is in my top 3 for the console. It is even better in multiplayer. Check out Sabrewulf. It has not skyrocketed in price and is a solid puzzle platformer by Rare - I say it is the best game on the handheld period, but I am bias.

If you can stick with commons and uncommons you can end up with a solid collection of really good games. Just play the odds and everything will shake out. Though I still dont own Wild Guns.

I store boxes in a different placae aswell, I just have no burning desire to throw money at old cardboard. I have system boxes for most consoles I own, some like the Vextrex do not have one, but game boxes for carts are just space filler. My wife has suggested UGCs for our games, but thats a very far down the road plan. Right now I gotta figure out what to do with this Ouya thing.

Mad Dog wrote: I still have my GBA SP and about 10 games (carts only). Could never bring myself to get rid of it and probably never will even though I'm much more likely to play an iOS game nowadays.

Thats just the nature of the beast. Ease wins out, and when I can play a phone game in seconds, or a GB game in minutes, phone game wins out most of the time. Even if my phone games are often console games. GBA still is special to me, it was the first Nintendo launch I worked back in retail and then I ran a website about it, so I ended up with alot of GBA games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
05 Jul 2014 14:24 #181654 by Scott_F
Newish member. 33 and live in Milwaukee suburbs. Randomly found boardgames a few months ago aside from Risk/Stratego and joined here not long after. Haven't played much yet but for what its worth my current favorites are:

Twilight Struggle
Wallenstein
Kemet
City of Remnants - this game needs more press too as an aside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, engineer Al

More
05 Jul 2014 16:44 #181655 by repoman
Hiya Scott. Welcome aboard.

More
05 Jul 2014 23:30 #181659 by jeb
Man, I love WALLENSTEIN. My eldest does too, so we force her kid brother to play from time to time. Not sure this was ever in English, but we just muddle through the German here with the little handouts.

I have seen CITY OF REMNANTS played and it looks pretty. What's the grab for you?

More
06 Jul 2014 11:19 #181666 by Scott_F
CoR has alot going on. Area control, building a deck, auctioning, placing buildings. I enjoy it because you aren't forced into combat, but sometimes combat may be your best option. And because you can only have two gang members on one spot and get combat bonuses when you have adjacent gang members - so you are encouraged to think tactically in movement. It is fairly long though but can be reduced just by saying "play to 100 VP" instead of the standard play to 200 VP.

More
06 Jul 2014 13:31 #181668 by Cranberries

jeb wrote: Man, I love WALLENSTEIN. My eldest does too, so we force her kid brother to play from time to time. Not sure this was ever in English, but we just muddle through the German here with the little handouts.

I have seen CITY OF REMNANTS played and it looks pretty. What's the grab for you?

I believe there was a recent reprint of Wallenstein in English. Oh crap, "recent" was two years ago. Ugh.

More
07 Jul 2014 09:08 #181687 by san il defanso
Welcome to the Fort, Scott!

City of Remnants is a great game, but it was kind of a watershed moment for me when I realized that it was consistently going at a snail's pace because of how much card text every player had to digest. It never really got any better either. It's a really well-designed game, but I think it might be one that is too busy for my lifestyle.

I like Wallenstein, but at Geekway a couple years ago I played a game against an entire group who got progressively more drunk as the game went on. I didn't touch a drop, and I still came in last place. I guess I'm just that terrible at it.

More
07 Jul 2014 10:12 - 07 Jul 2014 10:16 #181699 by Black Barney

Scott_F wrote: Newish member. 33 and live in Milwaukee suburbs. Randomly found boardgames a few months ago aside from Risk/Stratego and joined here not long after. Haven't played much yet but for what its worth my current favorites are:

Twilight Struggle
Wallenstein
Kemet
City of Remnants - this game needs more press too as an aside.

Hi Scott, welcome aboard. Sorry to hear that you live in Milwaukee, at least you can escape to the Fort here whenever you feel you can't take it.

Must be nice moving to Twilight Struggle straight from Risk/Stratego, I can't imagine what that must have been like. It must be like heroin. I myself went the traditional route through gateway games but would have loved going to the pure stuff directly for more of a hit.

Our own Matt just did a cool interview on the digital kickstarter for Twilight Struggle Here's a linky:
Click me!

I myself participated in the kickstarter and can't wait to play Twilight Struggle more often.

Speaking of the cold war, ex-Georgia President Eduard Shevardnadze just died. I don't even remember him being in Twilight Struggle.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2014 10:16 by Black Barney.

More
07 Jul 2014 11:08 #181706 by Scott_F
Milwaukee isn't so bad other than 3 months of the year at 0 degrees.

It was fantastic going from risk/stratego as my only board games straight to Twilight Struggle and Nexus Ops. Then I played Lewis & Clark at my first local meetup and remembered why I thought board games sucked.

CoR definitely isn't a short game nor something I'd want to constantly introduce others to. That by far is my biggest problem with it. But if you have the time the game is a great combination of features I enjoy.

More
07 Jul 2014 11:15 #181708 by Columbob
Hey Scott, welcome aboard.

Now that you're 3 posts old, you absolutely need an avatar to replace that faceless bot, unless you want to get heckled by the crew here.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.689 seconds