October 09, 2023
2777 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2925 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Requested Change for the 'Latest Comments' list for Articles & Blogs

More
28 Aug 2008 06:01 #10667 by southernman
Now that we have dozens of Blogs and Articles active all the time, I find that keeping track of when new comments have been updated to any of them is extremely difficult.

The best model would be what is currently used on the 'Discussions' tab of 'Trash Talk' where the page is ordered chronologically by the threads with the most recent posts first. This could then be used on a listing of all the articles/blogs on the site, similar to how there currently is a view of them all sorted alphabetically. I suppose this is quite common on standard forum-type websites.

Next best would be to use a 'unique' grouping property on the list of 'Latest Comments' in the Blog and Article areas, grouping on the Blog or Article title so each one is only in the 'Latest Comments' list once - not as present where a hot blog or two can fill all the 10 slots of the list. (I would also ask for the list to be extended to 15-20 entries).

The last choice change would be to increase the 'Latest Comments' list length to at least 50 (scroll bars probably needed), so you would be guaranteed of seeing at least 10 unique blogs/articles .... alternatively it could be unlimited in length (scroll bars again) but limited in time i.e. displays only comments made in the last x days (I would nominate 3 being a start value for x).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2008 07:13 #10669 by Notahandle
And of course, many websites send an email or PM when a new response is posted.
Doesn't work for guests, but, hey, can't registered users get the perk of having it made easy?

More
28 Aug 2008 07:51 #10674 by ubarose
I'll think about how to do this.

You can subscribe via e-mail to discussions that you are participating in by checking the box above the Add Comment button when you reply. You can subscribe via feed by clicking on the feed button at the top of the list of comments.

More
28 Aug 2008 08:10 #10676 by southernman
ubarose wrote:

I'll think about how to do this.

You can subscribe via e-mail to discussions that you are participating in by checking the box above the Add Comment button when you reply. You can subscribe via feed by clicking on the feed button at the top of the list of comments.

I was about to mention the subscribe to Adrian myself. But the last thing I want is my email account filling up with notifications - plus the two locations/machines I access FA:T from most doesn't have access or easy access to my email.

Sounds like a simple chronological listing as per the 'Discussions' tab in 'Trash Talk' isn't possible, hopefully something along the lines of my other suggestions can be imvoked.

The first page I go to when flipping to FA:T is the 'Discussions' page, then followed by checking both the 'Latest Comments' lists, and finally looking for Articles/Blogs from memory (dodgey at my age :woohoo: ) that I have read recently.

BUT I DO APPRECIATE MY FREE RESOURCE HERE MUCHLY, so this is not a BGG-type 'why doesn't it work like this' bitch.
This site is great and getting greater - we just need Chapel to visit more frequently again .... baiting Octavian is like shooting overweight ducks on the water.

More
28 Aug 2008 10:25 #10686 by ubarose
A list by active article/blog rather than by individual comment is possible. I am just considering a range of options, including, as you suggested, the possibility of a page like the "Disscussion" view of the forum for the comments.

I do appreciate suggestions like this, as I don't know how people use and navigate the site unless they tell me.

So far I have heard from people who say:

1. I only stop by once a week and just want to see a list of article titles in chronological order, therefore I added the aticle, blog and recommendation modules on the front page.

2. I like to read in a blog format that I can browse in chronological order, thus the Article and Blog page lay out.

3. I like to browse by topic, thus the topic list on the Article page and the Tag Cloud on the blog page.

4. I want an alphabetical list by topic and title, thus the Table of Contents.

5. I want a list of articles by author - still working on that one.

The site is evolving.

Also, in related news. The forum software that we use is finally realeasing a new version that fixes a bunch of bugs that people have been complaining about, like the BBC tags not working. It adds some cool new functions, one of which is a page like the "Discussion" view, which only lists the threads that you are participating in. I thought that was very spiffy. Finally it runs much faster and chews up a whole bunch less CPU time. I've been test driving the beta and it looks like it is going to be awesome. So look for a big upgrade to Trash Talk hopefully within the month.

More
28 Aug 2008 10:40 #10688 by Ska_baron
Woo! Great news on the upgrade!

For my weekday purposes of viewing articles and blogs: All I'd need is a visual like in the forums when there's a new post since last I viewed it. Then I know to check it.

Thanks again for all the hard work you and the other admins put in - I can only imagine how time consuming it all must be. You ROCK.

More
28 Aug 2008 18:48 #10706 by Notahandle
I'd use subscribe via PM, but not via email, due to the quantity (I'd rather have the full inbox here).

More
28 Aug 2008 19:42 #10708 by Mr Skeletor
With many message board when you click 'new' it takes you to the one past the last post you read (ie the first new post in that thread for you). Is it possible to put that feature in these boards?

More
29 Aug 2008 00:48 #10728 by BigLizard
I'll second the OP's suggestions. My viewing habits have evolved lately and those suggestions would fit my current situation nicely.

More
29 Aug 2008 01:13 #10730 by ubarose
Mr Skeletor wrote:

With many message board when you click 'new' it takes you to the one past the last post you read (ie the first new post in that thread for you). Is it possible to put that feature in these boards?

Only if I hack the app, which I don't want to touch in this case. The code for the "New" indicator is already pretty disfunctional.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds