October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What kind of articles do you want on the front page?

More
11 Jun 2015 22:46 - 12 Jun 2015 08:44 #204059 by Mr. White
Suppose I misunderstood the point of this thread then.

I was attempting to throw out some ideas that I thought would generate some discussion and interest on the front page. If the only correct answer is 'incentives for writers', then the direction of this site should have changed a long time ago and whenever that mentioned administrative meeting happened perhaps a different choice should have been made. The site could still go that way if y'all wanted.

I was proposing things that I don't see anyone else doing. Community projects, 'looking back' releases, etc. If y'all want to do go out on a limb like that then this place will likely need to be seen as more of a 'hobby', 'hangout', or even practice (writing, ideas, etc) for the front page authors. If that's too much work for the pay, and front page authors are only in this game for the incentives, then this site has _a_lot_ of competition. We can go anywhere for reviews.

Again, though, I'm just a backseat driver.

EDIT: To clarify. I'm not saying _no_ reviews, that's nuts. I'm suggesting some other options to mix it up.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2015 08:44 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty, ChristopherMD, lj1983

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2015 03:27 #204070 by mads b.
I'm not a huge fan of reviews - partly because it's what you get at all other board game sites (even if every single review on this site is better than even the best on BGG). But I would love to see more writing about games that doesn't necessarily comes down to whether they are good or not. "This came out 5/10/15 years ago" is a great idea, but maybe articles about board game evolution would also be interesting. Not as dry as it sounds, but it could be something about the differences and similiarities between Forbidden Stars and Starcraft and what it means for the experience.

I would also read articles about the board game experience rather than just the games. I know that's what a good review does, but what I mean is articles about memorable game sessions, about the experience different dungeon crawlers give, and so on.

The concept of thrashdome would also, I think, work as an article with two authors going back and forth about two games. I know I'd be happy to be part of that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
12 Jun 2015 08:28 - 12 Jun 2015 09:02 #204072 by Mr. White
Also, retro reviews don't have to be long at all. Not every article needs to be a magnum opus.

Legomancer, does a neat series called 'I Played That!' on his blog. These are fairly short and include a few photos or video. Understandably, he doesn't do comments on his blog, but these sort of short articles would be great conversation starters.

www.daveexmachina.com/wordpress/?p=9357

After all, that's what the whole 'Let's Talk' threads were about. A little talk from the original poster, then let folks run with comments. Chances are with time on its side, several folks will have some experience with the title. Perhaps even more than the original poster/article author. That's ok.

I imagine the '5/10/15' articles would be the same. Hell, those called almost just be a list (though a brief bit of commentary would be nice).

EDIT: Also, I'm all for talk on movies, bands, pro-wrestling, etc, so it's not like I don't like that content in the Barnestorming type articles. It's that they could probably be broken out into their own. Like the brief movie reviews Black Barney and Repoman do.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2015 09:02 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
12 Jun 2015 08:36 #204076 by charlest

Mr. White wrote: Suppose I misunderstood the point of this thread then.

I was attempting to throw out some ideas that I thought would generate some discussion and interest on the front page If the only correct answer is 'incentives for writers', then the direction of this site should have changed a long time ago and whenever that mentioned administrative meeting happened perhaps a different choice should have been made. The site could still go that way if y'all wanted.

I was proposing things that I don't see anyone else doing. Community projects, 'looking back' releases, etc. If y'all want to do go out on a limb like that then this place will likely need to be seen as more of a 'hobby', 'hangout', or even practice (writing, ideas, etc) for the front page authors. If that's too much work for the pay, and front page authors are only in this game for the incentives, then this site has _a_lot_ of competition. We can go anywhere for reviews.

Again, though, I'm just a backseat driver.

EDIT: To clarify. I'm not saying _no_ reviews, that's nuts. I'm suggesting some other options to mix it up.

Your original post was exactly what I was looking for when I created this thread, so no worries.

More
12 Jun 2015 14:59 #204124 by Da Bid Dabid
One of my favorite things I can think of off the top of my head is when someone challenged to play an old game in-depth and report on it (Jeff maybe last summer?). I hastily signed up to play a crazy game with way too much depth and barely survived reading the rules. I awaited others responses but I think maybe only one person followed though and posted. I should have at least posted about my failure of my attempt instead of bailing completely and doing nothing out of shame.

Something I have always wanted to do myself... not really sure how to best implement it here. Is a series of articles or in-depth look at different strategies for races or sides in asymmetric games - which is by far my favorite thing about board games. Its way too much to tackle a full game, but maybe just taking a play of one side from a recent session and breaking that down. Some discussion about why the Hacan are so good in TI, next week how I tried (and failed) to win with the Fremen, next week why the Niners are NOT overpowered in Sons of Anarchy. It would be pretty scatterbrained I think, but I would read those topics for days and would love to hear others experiences and thoughts.

Also... it has always amazed me how much this site lacks miniatures stuff as they seem so closely tied to AT gaming. Taking pictures of minis is extra work, maybe that is why there is not as much. Just pictures of games being played in general here or there I enjoy seeing. I don't have a camera on my phone so that is my excuse for never doing it... most ya'll got those newfangled smartphones though, what is your excuse?

More
12 Jun 2015 15:07 - 12 Jun 2015 15:08 #204125 by Da Bid Dabid

Mr. White wrote: * Showcases on how folks have pimped out their games. I dig customizations.

What are your thoughts on my WWF Luchador retheme? I always wanted to hear what you thought since you are the biggest (maybe second biggest? Steve Vs. Jeff WrestlingDome?) wrestling fan on the site.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2015 15:08 by Da Bid Dabid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
12 Jun 2015 15:13 #204126 by Shellhead
Generating discussion about one game in an article is more challenging now, due to the ongoing flood of new releases. And even if people take the plunge and buy a particular game, it might be difficult to get that game on the table more than once or twice because of all the other new hotness than awaits play. Reviews in general are a good thing because they help us sort through new releases before buying, and the reviews here at F:AT tend to be particularly informative. I wouldn't mind seeing reviews of older games, because those might lead to bigger discussions due to the larger base of players who have tried specific older games. I don't know if there is much value in discussing a Kickstarter game unless it gets secondary distribution as a normal board game.

More
12 Jun 2015 15:14 #204127 by The*Mad*Gamer

And it's very, very difficult to get something going with someone that would be REALLY awesome to hear from, like Knizia, Kramer or someone of that stature.

I will email Knizia and see if he will appear on a special edition podcast with me...If he agrees Barnes will you appear also?

More
12 Jun 2015 15:16 #204129 by Shellhead
I would also like to see articles about people getting more out of their games with either variant rules, homebrew scenarios, painted minis, or other methods of enhancing a game. I like to make soundtracks for my favorite games, and I got valuable guidance here at F:AT when I was working on a 2-disc soundtrack for the Sons of Anarchy boardgame.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeletedUser

More
12 Jun 2015 15:21 #204130 by Mr. White

Da Bid Dabid wrote:

Mr. White wrote: * Showcases on how folks have pimped out their games. I dig customizations.

What are your thoughts on my WWF Luchador retheme? I always wanted to hear what you thought since you are the biggest (maybe second biggest? Steve Vs. Jeff WrestlingDome?) wrestling fan on the site.

I apologize, but was unaware of this retheme. I just searched the site and found your posts. There were a few months were I was out of pocket and it looks like I missed this. Man, I haven't even played Luchador yet and you'd think I would. To be honest, all of my pro-wrestling gaming fix is getting met with BloodBowl. I'm considering an article on BB at the moment as I've been involved back in the tournament scene and am running a league again, but I dunno.

More
12 Jun 2015 15:31 #204131 by stormseeker75
Jeff, you need to get on the Luchador bandwagon! It's an amazingly fun little game. So much theme, it leaves puddles.

More
12 Jun 2015 15:45 - 12 Jun 2015 15:45 #204134 by mikecl
I come here to mainly talk about board games and am interested everything board game related: design, variants, mods, re-builds, strategy and rules discussion. I also like hearing about F:ATties personal creative pursuits like JJ's music, or user designs like Jason Lutes's Thrilling Tales of Adventure. Come to think of it, whatever happened to him? Or that game?

I could care less about video games and don't play them any more although Mass Effect 3 and Red Dead Redemption have tempted me out of retirement for replays. I don't own a PS4 or an IPad and could care less about games on IO. I've been tempted to buy an IPad but when I go to do it, can always think of a better use for my money ... like boardgames!

The other stuff is icing on the cake, but boardgame discussion is what brings me here ...and when there's not enough of it .... why I leave.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2015 15:45 by mikecl.

More
12 Jun 2015 16:41 #204142 by Da Bid Dabid

Mr. White wrote: I'm considering an article on BB at the moment as I've been involved back in the tournament scene and am running a league again, but I dunno.

Do it. Any BB talk is good talk.

More
12 Jun 2015 16:49 #204144 by Black Barney

More
13 Jun 2015 03:41 #204185 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: On the retro reviews- well, I tried to do that last year and y'all bitched and whined...remember the ERP?

The problem might not have been so much the Retro as the ERP. I'd be delighted to hear a great, in-depth review of Key to the Kingdom. Tigris and Euphrates? Not even remotely interested.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds