October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Very Tough To Find Old Reviews

More
07 Apr 2011 08:51 #93318 by Sagrilarus
I wanted to link the my old Little Wars review in Jason's thread and had one devil of a time finding it. Is there a place that lets you search articles? Short of using "site:fortressat.com" in Google I don't think there's a way to find old reviews.

S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2011 08:55 - 07 Apr 2011 08:59 #93319 by Schweig!
Last edit: 07 Apr 2011 08:59 by Schweig!.

More
07 Apr 2011 09:31 - 07 Apr 2011 09:40 #93320 by ubarose
Well, if you click on the SEARCH in the main menu at the top of the site, and then type little wars into the title field, your article is the only one that comes up.

Or you could choose articles and reviews from the drop down and search for the exact phrase - little wars.

You can also go to SEARCH > TABLE OF CONTENTS for a page that lists every article ever published by category

You could go to SITE MAP and scroll down to the Author's section and find your name and get a list of every article you have ever writen
Last edit: 07 Apr 2011 09:40 by ubarose. Reason: spelling

More
07 Apr 2011 09:36 #93321 by Sagrilarus
Thank you -- stupid user error.

That table of contents is the magic piece that lets you browse the history of the site.

S.

More
07 Apr 2011 09:43 #93322 by ubarose
Sagrilarus wrote:

Thank you -- stupid user error.

That table of contents is the magic piece that lets you browse the history of the site.

S.

You are not alone. For some reason people just don't see the SEARCH link in the main menu. Making it more obvious is on my list for the site redesign.

More
07 Apr 2011 10:21 #93330 by SuperflyPete
Shellie, while I have no problem with using search, a nice, neat index of just reviews from articles and blogs wouldn't be a bad thing. I think it would drive some traffic to the Fort based on that alone. The chatter is the fun part, but the meat is the outstanding work that people other than Barnes (since his candy ass has to post LINKS...LOL!) put up for the hobby. Our shit whips BGGs any day of the week just based on the after-action conversation alone. Much more interesting topcial points are brought up, and I think that there's value in advertising, or at least making it available, to outside folks who may not have known we have a veritable treasure trove of knowledge and opinion here.

Just my 2 cents.

More
07 Apr 2011 10:25 #93331 by Shellhead
I did a review for The Vesuvius Incident a while back. I just tried to find it with the Search function here and got no hits.

More
07 Apr 2011 10:42 #93332 by ubarose
Shellhead wrote:

I did a review for The Vesuvius Incident a while back. I just tried to find it with the Search function here and got no hits.

Technically all you have is thread in Trash Talk about the Vesuvius Incient, not an Review on the site. You have to search Trash Talk to find it.

More
07 Apr 2011 16:29 #93354 by Ancient_of_MuMu
ubarose wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Technically all you have is thread in Trash Talk about the Vesuvius Incient, not an Review on the site. You have to search Trash Talk to find it.

It would be good if we could search both simultaneously, as I am always annoyed when I have to search and have to choose either one to search (eg the other day the Coachfart of the Devil popped up in a maths trade the other day and I had a vague recollection of it being discussed somewhere here but couldn't remember where).

More
07 Apr 2011 16:36 #93357 by ubarose
Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

It would be good if we could search both simultaneously, as I am always annoyed when I have to search and have to choose either one to search (eg the other day the Coachfart of the Devil popped up in a maths trade the other day and I had a vague recollection of it being discussed somewhere here but couldn't remember where).

That's not possible. You can only search one table at a time. It's like on the BGG search, you can't search the game database and the forums at the same time.

More
07 Apr 2011 16:49 - 07 Apr 2011 16:52 #93358 by ubarose
superflytnt wrote:

Shellie, while I have no problem with using search, a nice, neat index of just reviews from articles and blogs wouldn't be a bad thing. I think it would drive some traffic to the Fort based on that alone. The chatter is the fun part, but the meat is the outstanding work that people other than Barnes (since his candy ass has to post LINKS...LOL!) put up for the hobby. Our shit whips BGGs any day of the week just based on the after-action conversation alone. Much more interesting topcial points are brought up, and I think that there's value in advertising, or at least making it available, to outside folks who may not have known we have a veritable treasure trove of knowledge and opinion here.

Just my 2 cents.

It is possible but it is entirely dependent upon bloggers identifying their blog entries as a review. Considering that people have had the option to tag their blogs as a review for 3 years now, and no one does it, I think we can consider the idea to index blog reviews a non-starter.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2011 16:52 by ubarose.

More
07 Apr 2011 20:54 #93378 by SuperflyPete
Fair Enough!

I just clicked the little green "+" box to add a blog entry, and after carefully reviewing the top section, I can't figure out where to do that. Using the article submission engine, that's quite obvious, but using the blog engine it's not immediately apparent.

In order to facilitate this, what do you want people who use the blog function to do in order to properly tag it as a review or otherwise? I'm 100% on board to do whatever it takes to help the Fort grow.

More
07 Apr 2011 22:32 #93392 by ubarose
superflytnt wrote:

Fair Enough!

I just clicked the little green "+" box to add a blog entry, and after carefully reviewing the top section, I can't figure out where to do that. Using the article submission engine, that's quite obvious, but using the blog engine it's not immediately apparent.

In order to facilitate this, what do you want people who use the blog function to do in order to properly tag it as a review or otherwise? I'm 100% on board to do whatever it takes to help the Fort grow.

After clicking on the little green "+" box, look on the right you will see Tags. Click on that. Then click on browse. Scroll down and check the Review box.

If we ever get a sufficient number of blog entries tagged Review (or any other tag), I'll create a blog category for them, and then you will be able to pick it from 'select a category' drop down. But I don't want to establish an entire category and only have 3 things in it, or something silly like that.

By the way, if you click on Images & Documents, that's where you can upload images. Search Older Posts allows you to find other blog entries and then drag and drop a link to them into your current blog entry.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds