October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Star Wars Risk - A Public Service Announcement

More
18 May 2016 08:59 #227655 by Josh Look
This game _IS_ awesome. No, it's not as well put together mechanically as QG, but it also doesn't fall into a slump like that game does and opens up way more with repeat plays between the same two players. It also does not feature Gungans or Battle Droids. For sheer fun, Star Wars Risks gets the clear edge for me. It's the new "test the waters" game for me. If you don't like it, I'm probably not going to be inclined to play anything with you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2016 09:30 #227658 by Columbob
I might get to play it for the first time this (long) weekend as I'm going to visit my nephews. Their coolest uncle got it for them for Xmas. I don't even know if they've played it yet or not, though they probably did.

More
18 May 2016 10:23 #227667 by SuperflyPete
To be fair, QG isn't a hobby game and was sold at Toys R Us. Same with a great many "hobby games" that people would sell a kidney to own.

"Hobby Game" is a bullshit term anyhow. The hobby is playing games, and if you're playing Space Hulk, Dungeon!, or Sorry Sliders, they're just games.

I have been waiting for the Rebellion people to dump this like chaff, hoping to get a deal. Seems like I miscalculated peoples' need to hoard all things Star Wars!

More
18 May 2016 10:49 #227669 by Msample
I do think REBELLION has now somewhat fired QUEENS GAMBIT as THE heavy AT game. But I'm still keeping my copy of QG.

Where did they settle out on the rules questions for SW:Risk ? There was a LOOOOOONG debate about some rules questions, such as:

- does the Empire get a bonus card for killing an off board Rebel ship marker

- can TIE fighters kill an off board Rebel ship

- can the Executor spit out TIE fighters who can also attack the same turn they deploy ?

More
18 May 2016 11:06 #227672 by charlest

Msample wrote: I do think REBELLION has now somewhat fired QUEENS GAMBIT as THE heavy AT game. But I'm still keeping my copy of QG.

Where did they settle out on the rules questions for SW:Risk ? There was a LOOOOOONG debate about some rules questions, such as:

- does the Empire get a bonus card for killing an off board Rebel ship marker

- can TIE fighters kill an off board Rebel ship

- can the Executor spit out TIE fighters who can also attack the same turn they deploy ?

Yes on all three of those. The last one is the most powerful as you should really just move the Executor up and spam.

More
18 May 2016 11:15 #227675 by JEM
In our last game we crushed the Empire because they brought the Executor up to spawn tie fighters to strike with. We killed it with half of their Ties never getting on the board.

More
18 May 2016 11:16 #227676 by Msample
And I think in the end that is why this game falls a bit flat. There is not that much variety in game play, esp for the Empire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
18 May 2016 11:21 #227679 by JEM
I think it's more that the current "meta" has rushed to some facile conclusions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Gregarius

More
18 May 2016 11:49 #227681 by Josh Look

SuperflyTNT wrote: To be fair, QG isn't a hobby game and was sold at Toys R Us. Same with a great many "hobby games" that people would sell a kidney to own.

"Hobby Game" is a bullshit term anyhow. The hobby is playing games, and if you're playing Space Hulk, Dungeon!, or Sorry Sliders, they're just games.

I have been waiting for the Rebellion people to dump this like chaff, hoping to get a deal. Seems like I miscalculated peoples' need to hoard all things Star Wars!

Yeah, I mean they're two entirely different beasts. Owning one has not stopped the play of the other.

I'm not calling this out as jab at you, Pete, so please don't take this way, but the hobby in general could really afford to look past the window dressing. If I got all hung up on that shit with all the space games I own, I'd own like 2 games (and I'm not the kind of guy who gets off on that).

More
18 May 2016 12:11 - 18 May 2016 12:15 #227683 by charlest

JEM wrote: In our last game we crushed the Empire because they brought the Executor up to spawn tie fighters to strike with. We killed it with half of their Ties never getting on the board.

That's interesting. I've played this strategy 6 or 7 times awhile ago, always moving the Executor up and spamming TIEs, and have tried focusing entirely on space with the Rebels to destroy the Executor.

It's been awhile since I've played so my math/numbers may be off.

The issue is that the Executor can take 8 hits I believe and only takes them on a 5-6. The Empire can easily play 3 TIE deploy cards each round as those cards are a huge portion of their deck. After the first, they are attacking with maximum dice.

The Rebels can certainly destroy the Executor in this strategy but I've never seen it done before half the TIEs were deployed. That's about the earliest it can happen with luck. Even if that happens, having that huge ball of TIE death is ridiculous. The Empire should be able to clear spaces and get tons of bonus cards which just spirals.

Lets do some math, say the Rebels are able to attack it with 4 dice every time which would be maybe normal but I think slightly giving the Rebs an edge compared to reality, that would take 6 actions of attacking straight. You can get lucky sure.

6 actions meanwhile of deploying TIEs would give you 24 I believe. Plus bonus cards.

The meta may be rushing (although it's been months since this game was released now), but even with concentrating on thwarting the strategy hasn't resulted well for me.

The TIE deploy + shoot comboing with Bonus cards from clearing spaces is the main thing that makes this so ridiculous. Meanwhile the Rebel player is getting no bonus cards. Bonus cards lead to more TIEs which lead to more bonus cards.
Last edit: 18 May 2016 12:15 by charlest.

More
19 May 2016 08:50 #227766 by Chaz
What was the final verdict on normal edition vs black edition? It's over a $30 difference right now. I'm guessing black edition isn't worth the premium?

More
19 May 2016 09:10 #227768 by JEM
That's a personal choice. I don't see the need to spend so much on bling when you can get the basic version for $15.

More
19 May 2016 10:28 - 19 May 2016 10:28 #227771 by Egg Shen

Chaz wrote: What was the final verdict on normal edition vs black edition? It's over a $30 difference right now. I'm guessing black edition isn't worth the premium?

At $50 it's like just outside of the price range of where it should be. It probably should retail for like $35. Amazon used to blow it out and you could get it for $30 shipped every now and then. That is the price that I picked it up at. I haven't seen it at that price in a very long time now. The component quality is quite a bit nicer...thicker board, more minis, better box, cards stock is improved etc... However, I've gone even further and tricked out my copy with micro machines and other stuff. It looks really awesome now.

Also, I wasn't kidding when I said this was a public service announcement. Sure the Black Edition is $50 now, but when it goes out of print it could quickly double in price. The regular edition is an AMAZING value for about $20, but I'm really glad to have the Black Edition. Honestly, within a few years I expect both editions of the game to be gone and replaced by something new that Hasbro is pairing with a SW movie release. I could be wrong, but historically speaking Hasbro doesn't keep this stuff in print forever. It's basically treated like a toy. They get rid of the old model and try to come up with something new and better for the toy shelves next year.
Last edit: 19 May 2016 10:28 by Egg Shen.

More
19 May 2016 23:55 #227829 by MattFantastic
Love this game. Easily one of the most played games at the cafe. Empire doesn't seem to win much in our experience.

More
20 May 2016 09:31 #227849 by Josh Look
If you're mathing out a game with the word "Risk" in the title, I think you've missed something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, wadenels

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds