Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Perfect Campaign

The Perfect Campaign 13 Mar 2017 05:52 #245070

I too have been looking for the "perfect" campaign since Heroquest.
The one that came closest for me was Descent 1: Road to Legend.
The main reason my group liked it more was that each mission had a sense of purpose:
Instead of going from one "story" mission to the other, heroes and overlord each had one or several goals they were trying to achieve, and missions/encounters were the way they got this done (ok, most missions were just: raid the dungeon to get stronger but there was always decisions to be made about how to stop the Overlord lieutenants from razing a settlement, whether it was worth spending time to go to a specific trainer, and so on...).
These "strategic" decisions gave much more context to the game that any written fluff could ever do.
When you compare that to Imperial Assault: The heroes don't even know why they are chaining missions. They don't have any goal except reach the finale.
The "only" problem with Descent RTL was that its game system was too fiddly, with an insane amount of bookkeeping and setup./teardown time (we used to leave the board in place and not touch it until next session), and we ended up with 30 pages of rule tweaks to rebalance the campaign, and avoid having one side keep steamrolling the other after a few quests.

I think it worked because it didn't try to be a railroaded RPG, but instead, had some very light elements of an X-COM game.
That is the same reason Blood Bowl works well IMO, especially when playing in a championship format:
Each game is a part of an overarching contest that is clear from the beginning to the end.
  • Galdred
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 1
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

The Perfect Campaign 15 Mar 2017 08:57 #245157

Colorcrayons wrote:
I've been seeing some good reviews about the newest war hammer quest iteration. Maybe that might strike a chord with you, Egg Shen?

You talking about the Silver Tower or the new one that they just released? I haven't really looked into the new one, but is it that much different than the Silver Tower? I figured it was just more of the same with a new setting/skin.
  • Egg Shen
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1023

The Perfect Campaign 15 Mar 2017 09:32 #245159

Egg Shen wrote:
Colorcrayons wrote:
I've been seeing some good reviews about the newest war hammer quest iteration. Maybe that might strike a chord with you, Egg Shen?

You talking about the Silver Tower or the new one that they just released? I haven't really looked into the new one, but is it that much different than the Silver Tower? I figured it was just more of the same with a new setting/skin.

I think it's actually more like the 1 vs. many format. One of the players serves as a GM of sorts. That makes me feel a little better about not being able to afford it right now.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com

The Perfect Campaign 15 Mar 2017 10:39 #245164

san il defanso wrote:
Egg Shen wrote:
Colorcrayons wrote:

I think it's actually more like the 1 vs. many format. One of the players serves as a GM of sorts. That makes me feel a little better about not being able to afford it right now.

Yeah, it's much more like Heroquest in fact. You've got one enormous multi level pre-set dungeon with set features like secret doors and traps and events that kick off other than just combat

The Perfect Campaign 15 Mar 2017 13:13 #245183

Yeah the latest iteration, buddies of hammerhall, or sumthin'.

Anyways, even those who are ghey for co-op are admitting it is pretty good. But there are times where you have to be more of a ref as a gm than a no punch pulling opponent., due to how some expanded exotic monsters aren't quite balanced in that regard.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 734

The Perfect Campaign 15 Mar 2017 13:20 #245185

Yeah Shadows Over Hammerhal is pretty damn good. I enjoy it more than Silver Tower.

I wrote up a short review on it at Geek & Sundry: geekandsundry.com/warhammer-quest-return...dows-over-hammerhal/
  • charlest
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1613
Moderators: Jackwraith, wadenels, Mad Dog
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds