October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Serious Hobbies - "Serious" Gamers and the Mainstream

More
03 Oct 2023 00:00 #340679 by oliverkinne
I think we've all been there. We tell someone that...

A "hobby", as defined by Merriam-Webster's online dictionary, is "a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." So hobby games are all about doing something different to what we usually do and doing it to relax. The definition of "serious", on the other hand, is a bit more complex. One option I found in Merriam-Webster's online dictionary defines it as "requiring much thought or work" or "not joking or trifling." So a serious gamer invests a lot of thought and work into their hobby and doesn't want people to make fun of it. It's all a bit confusing and that's why I want to look at the idea of a "serious hobby gamer" in more detail in this article. I also want to look at how hobby games have entered the mainstream and how that relates to the "seriousness" of the hobby.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2023 10:11 #340680 by Shellhead
One reason why this site exists is that there was a dominant faction of neckbeard-stroking serious gamers at BGG with snobbish beliefs about games. They favored serious historical topics, brown color schemes, and essential maths that discouraged conversation at the table. Ameritrash gamers preferred exciting topics, bold color schemes, a greater degree of interaction, and simulated narratives. Michael Barnes got banned from BGG for challenging the serious gamers one time too many, and left to start this site. Or at least an earlier incarnation of this site.

I enjoy playing games, but I don't feel the need to defend my enjoyment by pretending that my games are serious or important. I do want more people to enjoy playing board games, and when I do get them to the table, I tend to lead with co-op games. I don't worry about the rules being simple, I want them to play with a theme or setting that they find appealing, and the co-op structure will make it easy to teach them as we go, even if the game is challenging.

My ex left me two years ago, so I have plunged into the world of online dating. Just in the last year, I have seen a definite increase in the number of women who mention an interest in either board games or game nights. Unfortunately, I find that asking them about the games that they enjoy has not been a successful opening line, except for one woman who was a competitive chess player in college.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, lj1983

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds