October 09, 2023
2762 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2913 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Star Wars: Armada

More
25 Aug 2016 08:43 - 25 Aug 2016 08:47 #232766 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
Yeah, that's just about perfect, you have almost everything you need for a long time. Only gap is a smaller imperial ship but no big deal.

I was thinking about the game this morning... I wasn't really seeing the utility of engineering commands but when I played home one I started to see it in terms of shield heavy rebel ships. Not sure there's much utility for imperial hull heavy ships.

Contextually, I think the most useful card for any ship is the nav team card for the victory ISD---it is such a dog in terms of turning (and speed) and it really only has one great arc, the front, so it needs to be able to audible to a move command to turn an extra tick on any turn.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2016 08:47 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2016 09:26 #232842 by Gary Sax
Big Armada order... bought the new ships and more fighters. Looking at what I have I still probably need to fill in the imperials with another small cap ship like a raider and/or gladiator but otherwise I'm pretty set.

Psyched to be able to field more of the specialty fighters, only 2 of them in each rebel/imperial pack (A-wing, B-wing, Y-wing). Who knows what I'm going to do with all those extra X-wings.

More
26 Aug 2016 09:31 #232843 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
I should be getting my boxes next Thursday, looking forward to learning the game.

More
26 Aug 2016 09:42 #232844 by SuperflyPete

Gary Sax wrote: Big Armada order... bought the new ships and more fighters. Looking at what I have I still probably need to fill in the imperials with another small cap ship like a raider and/or gladiator but otherwise I'm pretty set.

Psyched to be able to field more of the specialty fighters, only 2 of them in each rebel/imperial pack (A-wing, B-wing, Y-wing). Who knows what I'm going to do with all those extra X-wings.

So, let me ask this: I found a guy selling basically one or two of everything for 275$. I'm not in a position to pay for that, so it doesn't matter anyhow, but what is the "end point" where your money for this stuff is no longer useful? At what point are diminished returns happening?

For anyone who wants to get on board for half price: www.bartertown.com/trading/viewtopic.php...it=star+wars#p511007

More
26 Aug 2016 10:33 #232846 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada

SuperflyTNT wrote: So, let me ask this: I found a guy selling basically one or two of everything for 275$. I'm not in a position to pay for that, so it doesn't matter anyhow, but what is the "end point" where your money for this stuff is no longer useful? At what point are diminished returns happening?

Short answer from me is yes. A person could probably gain some marginal benefit from having more than two Imperial squadron packs and more than two Rogues and Villains packs, but I think beyond that it's probably at most two of everything. I mean, there were definitely 3 Imperial Star Destroyer lists and such, and "many small unit" (MSU) lists that made use of more than two of the small-base ships, but I'd want to be trying something specific before I'd consider far enough to have more than two (although I did more or less accidentally buy a third Imperial squadron pack). I think maybe one Wave 4 Interdictor and one Wave 4 Liberty would be enough until proven otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Aug 2016 11:21 - 26 Aug 2016 11:25 #232848 by Gary Sax
One of everything is enough, you could totally stop there. You could play full, fun 300 point games with less than that once you talk about upgrades. With what JEM is getting you could get a huge number of games out of.

There are a couple things you might want more of with one each from wave 1/2 but they aren't necessary.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2016 11:25 by Gary Sax.

More
26 Aug 2016 11:57 #232849 by Michael Barnes
One of each is plenty. Two of a couple of key ships and fighter packs gives you more options and depth. Going over that I would only recommend if you are competing with the meta. Which is dumb, IMO. One ISD is cool and impressive. Three is just ridiculous.

I have two of everything except the new wave, the ISD, the Assault Frigate, Home One and the Rogues and Villains. Why would I have multiple YT-1300s out there- there's only one and it's the Millenium Falcon.

I think two Gladiators is great...also really like having two Imperial Raiders and Mc30c. Two of each fighter pack is, IMO, almost essential.

On the new ships, I think the big ones you will only ever need 1 each on- they are big, expensive, and highly specialized. The Liberty has 7 forward dice, so you know what it's for. The Interdictor can be loaded with cool countermeasures and electronic warfare stuff, the grav wells are brutal- they stop your ship on the first turn, which can be devastating in a game all about maneuver.

I'm thinking about going twos on the Gozantis and the Rebel Transports...mainly because they are flotilla ships (2 per base) and they make your fleet look damn cool. Both are what I would consider "advanced play" ships.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
26 Aug 2016 12:01 #232850 by SuperflyPete
It's the "one of each" that bothers me. I mean, at that point it's collecting, no? If most games are 300 point games, considering upgrades and whatnot, is one of each overkill (like 1000 points per side, well equipped) or is it legit?

More
26 Aug 2016 12:05 - 26 Aug 2016 12:08 #232852 by Gary Sax
Yeah, the new waves are releasing ships that are more niche/specialized, so your meat and potatoes is really in waves 1/2. So one of each of those is not collecting stuff you won't want but is, certainly, expensive. Armada is a very expensive game, no doubt about it.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2016 12:08 by Gary Sax.

More
26 Aug 2016 12:06 #232854 by JEM
One base, extra fighters for each side, rogues & villains and Home One, some extra dice all around $120. That second base hit it up over $175 though.

More
26 Aug 2016 12:16 - 26 Aug 2016 12:26 #232857 by Gary Sax
As an aside, I really like Raider variant A. It has 2 anti-squadron black dice (black dice being the most powerful dice, though short range). So you steer it directly into the engagement where all the fighters are shooting each and just let it rip. 4 two black die shots if you get two arcs involved and shoot at things at the same range.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2016 12:26 by Gary Sax.

More
26 Aug 2016 13:08 #232858 by Hex Sinister
I've tried both variants a few times and haven't had any luck so far. I would put them in the "advanced" category Michael mentioned. Or maybe I was just running them too fast... I've not given up on them yet, heh.

More
26 Aug 2016 13:09 #232859 by JEM
One thing I haven't delved into yet is playmats. I see 36x36 ones (X-Wing I guess) for around $25. Two would be needed for Armada, right?

More
26 Aug 2016 13:10 #232860 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada

SuperflyTNT wrote: It's the "one of each" that bothers me. I mean, at that point it's collecting, no? If most games are 300 point games, considering upgrades and whatnot, is one of each overkill (like 1000 points per side, well equipped) or is it legit?

Not to suggest consumerism, but standard games post-Wave 1 are 400 points. A few people would like it higher, and some people play higher-point games, of course. If it's not 400, though, instead of 300, getting in much beyond a single ISD (minimum 110 points) could be a challenge (and I don't necessarily mean two or three ISDs)--but, again, it depends on how you want to play. For casual play, one of everything is enough--until/unless it isn't.

More
26 Aug 2016 14:00 - 26 Aug 2016 14:06 #232863 by Gary Sax
Yeah, 6x3 play area. You can get much cheaper star mats but I got mine as gifts so I just told them to get FFG ones for simplicity.

You can play 3x3 pretty easily but I greatly prefer a bit more than that for battles with more than the core set. You won't be using a portion of that space very often, though, so you'll be able to put your cards, dials, etc on the mat with no problem.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2016 14:06 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.959 seconds