October 09, 2023
2600 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2799 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

RPGs - Collecting Only

More
10 Sep 2015 12:25 #210344 by Green Lantern
Cool, I've never played Feng Shui but I can tell you Mutants & Masterminds incorporated the "mook" rule and that's the first place I encountered it. Since then, I've used it to reflect the minion level thugs with glass jaws or the types who just shouldn't be able to stand up to a PC powerhouse. Excellent addition to any RPG system.

Dungeon World is where I first came across a game that encouraged the players and GM to actively work together to flesh out the setting, and since then I've used the "ask questions, use the answers" paradigm in all my games.

Another great bit I picked up from Dungeon World was building "fronts" to help manage NPC agendas when they weren't front and center of the action. The use of fronts gives me an excellent resource to keep up with just what the big bad or evil corporation is doing behind the scenes as the PCs investigate and piece together the plot behind all the bad shit that's been going down.

Savage Worlds can be a hassle if you aren't in a tactical mood, but when you want a game that can get to the miniature level with maps and measurement it hits a sweet spot between fast/fun vs. tedious slogfest. The rules for mass combat and character interludes are excellent as well, keeping the action flowing and giving the PCs a chance to shine a light on their past exploits or a peek into what drives them.

Another great tool I've picked up and tried to use in games that don't have them are the use of Edge, Bennies, Hero Points, Fate points, Destiny etc. I love systems that give the GM a method to reward players for good RP, clever tactics, or simply cracking everybody up. If you aren't familiar with the concept it's pretty simple. These systems give the PCs points they can earn and burn at a later point to modify a roll, re-roll a critical check, modify the scene in some way, etc. I like a system like this to reward players who put their PCs in bad situations or make choices that aren't optimal if it's in line with the story or their concept. Otherwise, the player might not like getting boned with no reward and who can blame them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2015 14:15 - 10 Sep 2015 14:15 #210364 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic RPGs - Collecting Only
I totally hear you on Savage Worlds, and in an rpg buying mood I'll probably get it again.

It's just...I find myself seldom in the mood for the type of game SW wants to run. I either want to do 'theater of the mind' or just bust out a minis game proper like Heroscape.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2015 14:15 by Mr. White.

More
10 Sep 2015 15:20 #210378 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic RPGs - Collecting Only
Yes, I have a habit of doing this. Well, I wouldn't call it collecting, but I've purchased a few RPGs (and "obtained" others) without really intending to play them, mostly just to read. I like to read the background fluff, learn the character creation system and browse through the bestiary. I rarely read through the actual roleplaying mechanics. I've done this with Shadowrun 2nd edition, TMNT, d20 Modern, Midnight 1st Edition, Star Wars, Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel, Dark Heresy and FFG's Rogue Trader. I also do this with older miniatures game rules, Dark Future, Rogue Trader, Warhammer 3rd edition, Gorkamorka, Necromunda, GW's Confrontation, etc.

My buddy and I really enjoyed rolling up characters for TMNT using their random character generation system just because it was silly and fun. The closest I cam to running a game was d20 Modern. I bought all the main books off eBay and the Dark Matter setting. I also bought this DM-less game master tool pdf that either helps GMs make up stuff as they go or allow small groups to play without a GM.

And then there was DCC, which I actually got to play twice. I've been considering trying to get my brother-in-law and some of my nieces together for a DCC dungeon funnel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
10 Sep 2015 15:26 - 10 Sep 2015 15:28 #210380 by Mr. White
You know I love the DCC RPG. I'm just not sure that it's highly lethal nature is the ideal first experience for RPGs.

For my kids I'm probably going to go either that little Pokemon RPG (my son loves the card game, my daughter likes to collect the little plastic figs) or ICONS with them being 'ninja turtle' universe type animal heroes.

My kids don't really seem to be into fantasy or it would be that Beyond the Wall or Faerys Tale. I have Faery's Tale on hand (loan from Dave), so it may be that. I dunno.

www.drivethrurpg.com/product/29572/Faerys-Tale-Deluxe?it=1
Last edit: 10 Sep 2015 15:28 by Mr. White.

More
10 Sep 2015 15:57 #210391 by DukeofChutney

Josh Look wrote:
the other (Dungeon World, which is close to perfect for me but there's a few things that completely sink it).

I'd be curious to know what rubbed you the wrong way. I am always interested in peoples more thought out views on RPGS.

I used to buy quite a few rpgs, and have ran most of them, but i tend not like to have heavy books sitting around. Right now i have print copes of; S&W white box, Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea, Eclipse Phase (which i'm going to flog), and Traveller (mongoose pocket edition). I always read them and often end up playing them at least once, but if its not a regular thing its just another heavy book to haul around.

More
10 Sep 2015 17:01 #210418 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic RPGs - Collecting Only
I know I'll never role play again like I did back in college and a few years after I started working. But I still like to pick up games I might have skipped in the past. A Half Price Books opened up in town and I have filled out my Twilight 2000, Earthdawn, Heavy Gear, and Jovian Chronicles collection nicely. The last time I was in they had a fair number of Shadowrun titles on the shelf. And a scattering of Dark Conspiracy.

And like Superfly I'm a sucker for miniatures rules, especially anything Battletech.

More
10 Sep 2015 17:10 #210423 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic RPGs - Collecting Only

Mr. White wrote: EDIT: Looking at this list typed out...it's quite a bit. Though I fully understand owning most of these rpgs would be to simply read and enjoy rather than play, I don't want to trade choking on boardgames for choking on rpgs. I may need to reconsider this course over the next few days. Maybe whittle it down some.

Ah, Hello. Where's that sweet Conan RPG box set I traded to you? Huh! ;)

I am a big collector of old RPG's.

More
10 Sep 2015 17:17 - 10 Sep 2015 18:13 #210427 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic RPGs - Collecting Only

Mr. White wrote: These are both modern takes on classic lines. I'd love to read more about your thoughts on them. How they were able to bring you into actually playing rpgs, what you've done with them, etc.

I think the big thing is that they're both really easy to run, which is my primary role with them. 5e D&D runs so smooth with how few modifiers there are, the way they handle skills, and how the monsters function. I've run the adventure out of the starter box and a few of my own, and aside from looking up a spell or how sneak attack works (which is sort of because it isn't as complicated as you'd expect it to be and you feel, "That can't be it...") you pretty much never have to refer to the book. It offers as much depth as D&D should and from a player side, I _LOVE_ the levels where you can either increase two abilities, give one ability +2 or take a feat. Pretty much every level is satisfying, but those are particularly great. Best D&D, no doubt about, and I've played them all.

Edge of the Empire does something that I've come to really like in indie RPGs and that's varying degrees of success. You might succeed but generate some big disadvantage or fail your roll but find something really useful. It uses it's own special dice which can be a little cumbersome at first but they become second nature in no time. They generate a wider array of potential results than the system that Dungeon World uses (which I'll get to in a bit), and I like how they work in a loose way with narrative and have more solid, mechanical uses in combat. Focusing on the "scum and villainy" aspect of the universe (which, btw, breaking things up was another smart move) every player starts with one or more obligation. It's owing a crime lord money, being wanted by the Empire, having family obligations, etc. You break the players into percentile ranges and roll at the beginning of every session. You could roll in the range in which nothing happens, but if someone's percentile range comes up, their obligation is brought into play in the session somehow. It's pretty easy to improve on how as you play and it's generated some really wonderful plot details I wouldn't have otherwise come up with. I really do love this game and it's been responsible for the best roleplaying experiences I've ever had, but I wish there was more resources in the core book. More ships and enemies would go a long way since as it stands I think it's better suited for contained stories than ongoing campaigns. There's only so many stormtroopers you can shoot or Hutts you can cross. I've considered running the game on the forums here to share the love I have for it, not sure how we would pull that off, but I'm game for trying it if folks are interested.

Dungeon World...oh man. I love so much of what this game does and no rulebook, RPG, board game, minis or otherwise has ever gotten me so excited to play the game. The behind the scenes "Fronts" stuff is brilliant and, as I said before, I'm a fan of degrees of success. The quick character creation, the whole "mechanics are triggered by plot to generate more plot," pretty much everything is right up my alley. Where it falls apart is XP and advancement. It's all forced and, since you earn XP from roleplaying, makes the roleplaying forced as well. You get 1 XP if you fought a significant monster or 1 XP if you find an important treasure, and those are entirely on the GM's whim. Are they feeling generous tonight or not? The other means is by fulfilling "bonds" you have with the other players. You come up with a few when you create your character, stuff like "__________ doesn't see the truth about the world and I will show it to them." So you start having these conversations or doing stuff in character which are fun and all, but the ulterior motive of reward cheapens the experience and makes it feel totally dishonest to me. I'm no power gamer, make no mistake about that, check my dwarf wizard with average intelligence in D&D for proof, but whenever I start one of those bond-related conversations, I can't shake the feeling I'm only doing it so I can get a cool new move at the end of the night. Totally sours the game for me.

PS - I'm no fan of minis at the RPG table, so Savage Worlds, despite how cool is sounds whenever I pick the book, never works for me. 4E and Star Wars Saga is the same thing.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2015 18:13 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Green Lantern, DukeofChutney

More
10 Sep 2015 18:25 - 10 Sep 2015 18:25 #210430 by ChristopherMD
I sometimes pick up RPG books just to read through the settings and stats and other stuff. Not so much anymore as I haven't been interested in roleplaying. I'd rather play an adventure board game nowadays.

Books I have;
All Flesh Must Be Eaten - I have almost every book released. I've never played, but I did GM the Buffy system which is similar.
Apocalypse World - Never played it, but the system seems fascinating.
Aurora RPG - This is an indie RPG in a hard sci-fi setting that I've played and GM'd. Was only available pdf originally, but I printed out and spiral-bound the books.
Dungeon World - See entry for AW.
Hollow Earth - Love the setting and definitely bought this just to read.
Mouse Guard - I've played and enjoy the setting and system. If I only kept 1 RPG this would be it.

I have a few others as pdf that I got just to browse through;
Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium RPG because its Dune.
Savage Worlds RPG core with Evernight campaign.
Warhammer Fantasy 2nd I have probably every book released.
Lady Blackbird which I'm sure I'll play someday.

You'll notice not a single D&D book. I haven't played since 3rd (little 3.5) and don't see myself picking it back up. If I were to play I'd just borrow someone's core book for whatever edition the GM is running. No reason to own even to read as I read a lot of the older D&D stuff and a shitload of related novels when I was a teen. I'm done there.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2015 18:25 by ChristopherMD.

More
10 Sep 2015 18:26 #210431 by Green Lantern
Huh. I never would have guessed that would have been your issue with Dungeon World, Josh. Thanks for sharing your insight. Personally, I don't see the XP system it uses as anything far removed from dozens of other advancement systems, including Edge of the Empire, but hey, if it doesn't appeal to you I can see why it would be a deal breaker.

I prefer the simplicity of the bonds system as opposed to the obligation mechanic but I think both are awesome. My only gripe against the obligation mechanic would be the added bookkeeping involved. Plus, obligation seemed unwieldy with groups larger than four but perhaps I did something wrong.

P.S. - count me in for a PbP game of Edge of the Empire.

More
10 Sep 2015 22:44 #210438 by John Myers
Replied by John Myers on topic RPGs - Collecting Only
Fading Suns!

More
11 Sep 2015 07:36 #210444 by Mr. White

Chapel wrote:

Mr. White wrote: EDIT: Looking at this list typed out...it's quite a bit. Though I fully understand owning most of these rpgs would be to simply read and enjoy rather than play, I don't want to trade choking on boardgames for choking on rpgs. I may need to reconsider this course over the next few days. Maybe whittle it down some.

Ah, Hello. Where's that sweet Conan RPG box set I traded to you? Huh! ;)

It morphed into a new, never used copy of Shadowrun 2nd Ed which I needed. That Conan box set had a sweet map though.

Sending you a PM.

More
11 Sep 2015 07:46 #210447 by Mr. White
Josh, 5e sounds good, but I only get epic, bombastic vibes from the module covers. Any idea if the published modules are any good? I suppose I prefer less important, I dunno, actual dungeon crawling.

5e

Dungeon crawling

More
11 Sep 2015 08:37 #210451 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic RPGs - Collecting Only
The one in the starter box is probably the best one, and the most traditional dungeon crawl. I don't care for the others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
11 Sep 2015 08:49 #210452 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic RPGs - Collecting Only

Josh Look wrote: The one in the starter box is probably the best one, and the most traditional dungeon crawl. I don't care for the others.

I agree with this. The starter set adventure ("The Lost Mines of Phandelver") is easily in the top 10% of all published D&D adventures.

It wouldn't be too difficult to adapt more traditional dungeon crawls to 5e though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds