October 09, 2023
2538 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

F:AT Speaks: Mobile/Online/Handheld Gaming

More
25 Sep 2009 18:16 - 25 Sep 2009 18:18 #42784 by ModelVillain
Hello F:AT -

I wanted to extend a question to the F:AT community regarding online/handheld games. I'm regularly impressed by the quality of material that is often posted here, and have much respect for the views (and gaming tastes) of many users.

As a small software developer, we are strongly committed to support the communities we develop for, and are actively seeking input and feedback. Unlike many larger companies, this can often have a major impact on the titles we choose to develop, and how we support them after release - something that larger companies aren't generally as equipped for, or interested in, doing. Given the common interests in titles, F:AT has the distinction of being the first source I've considered tapping.

And so I ask: F:AT, what kinds of titles, and features, would you like to see on your handheld platforms?

Specific game ideas, ports, or translations aren't as useful as what kinds of features you're interested in. Things like:

* How do online/mobile games play into your "free" gaming time?
* What kinds of features are of interest? Solo? Multiplayer? Massively Multiplayer?
* How important is the social aspect of online/mobile gaming?
* How important are online ports of physical (board game) titles vs. originally conceived experiences?

To reiterate, this isn't a call for ideas - we've got many in different stages of development. This is a call to help us understand how to develop the titles we're interested in bringing to a handheld or online console near you.

We're currently ramping up on some new projects, and this is as good a time as any to ping well-respected sources like F:AT.

I'd love to hear any feedback you all may have, and thanks in advance,

- js
Last edit: 25 Sep 2009 18:18 by ModelVillain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2009 19:12 #42799 by jeb
You should to deliver games that are enjoyable in the 10 minute timeframe. A coarser man might say "in the amount of time it takes to take a shit." But I am not that man. I am as smooth as marble from head-to-toe. Games that do this well:

BANGAI-O
PROF. LAYTON
BRAIN AGE

games that do not:
CASTLEVANIA: X of Y
ZELDA: WHATEVER
NYT CROSSWORDS

As long as your game preserves enough state information to let me play, close the clamshell for the weekend, and figure out what the hell is going on when I open it, you're set.

More
25 Sep 2009 19:40 #42803 by ubarose
What Jeb said, but replace "the amount of time it takes to take a shit" with the amount of time it takes to wait in line at the market. Something that can be easily started, quickly ended, and doesn't require you to remember where you were or what you were doing the last time that you played.

More
26 Sep 2009 09:03 #42820 by Juniper
I hope that nobody here shits while waiting in line at the market.

But I agree with everything that's been said so far.

More
26 Sep 2009 21:51 - 26 Sep 2009 21:52 #42857 by ModelVillain
Interesting responses, and thanks for the replies so far.

In designing both Croke and KIL.A.TON, being able to play in 5 or 10 minute bursts, and still have a complete experience, is something that we certainly set as a design goal. This would include online play, so for instance in KIL.A.TON, there's an option for a 5-round game online, as the shortest game you can complete, and still receive XP based on how you fare. So in 10 minutes, you can connect, play a full game, and get the appropriate XP.

So far however, you all seem to imply that a single-player, solo experience is more what you'd want in this timeframe. Is this correct?

Would this also imply that players (at least the people here, who I'd personally classify as social gamers to varying degrees) aren't really interested in short multiplayer experiences? Is it potentially too competitive, given the full-to-partial attention to the game? So far, about 10% of our customers who buy the game event attempt to play online - substantially lower than we had predicted.

FWIW, this seems to be becoming more important in general, on handhelds. Many Nintendo GB/GBA/DS titles are actually quite hardcore, but have sold in the millions, and are great titles. But this would seem to indicate that this is changing.

I will say that on iPhone, gamers haven't really embraced the "bigger" experiences yet, even though the platform is perfectly capable of A+ titles. To me this indicates the data supports what you all are basically saying.
Last edit: 26 Sep 2009 21:52 by ModelVillain.

More
27 Sep 2009 13:38 - 27 Sep 2009 13:39 #42879 by ubarose
The primary difference between playing games on your phone and playing games on a handheld, is that your phone is primarily your phone. If it rings you need to be able to stop what you are doing and answer your phone. Also, you don't tend to plan on playing games on your phone. You tend to find yourself in a situation with time to kill, and since you have your phone on you, you use it to entertain yourself.

It's like if you know you are going to be in a situation where you are going to want to take pictures, you bring a camera with you. You only use your phone to take pictures because you happen to have it on you when you don't have your camera.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2009 13:39 by ubarose.

More
28 Sep 2009 00:41 #42922 by Michael Barnes
OK, now I have time to weigh in on this...some random thoughts on the issues raised:

- I do a lot of mobile gaming. The convenience of handheld devices is such that I sometimes find myself playing games on the iPhone or DS more than on consoles.

- I actually like hardcore games as well as pick-up-and-play stuff when I'm using a mobile device. Last night I went with my wife to shop for $15,000 worth of wardrobe for a shoot she's doing this week and having MARIO AND LUIGI: BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY in my pocket was a lifesaver. The ability to close the DS and resume later is critical with hardcore games, as is the ability to save anywhere and enjoy the game in whatever sized chunks you want. In other words, hardcore is fine for mobile- but it has to be segmented and able to be played at the player's pace. Mission-based games, like ALIVE 4 EVER or F.A.S.T., do that well. You get a hardcore experience, but the missions are short and enable the player to get in and out of a game quickly.

- Pick-up-and-play games have to have a SUPER hook. DOODLE JUMP has that, MR. AAHH has that, BANGAIO SPIRTS has that. You can play a complete game- start to finish- of any of those in less than five minutes (sometimes less than 10 seconds in BANGAIO SPIRITS)but games like this have a very immediate premise and have a very high-stakes feeling with a simple risk-reward curve. Live, and you can play more. Die, and it's over.

- The iDevices are emerging as a great platform for games, but it seems like few developers really "get" what a great iDevice game is. It's NOT the ten thousandth tower defense game or another fucking FLIGHT CONTROL clone. It's something like ZENBOUND, SPIDER, or ROLANDO that really use the medium to do something creative and unusual. I've had my iPhone for a month and I'm already sick of seeing a new game and reading about it and thinking "well, that's just another FLIGHT CONTROL...but with CARS!" It's bullshit, the amount of copycat crap that's on there. Tower defense, line drawing, castle defense...all those genres should be banned at this point. The best examples have already come and gone and all that's left are shitty clones.

- I also think that trying to do full console, PSP/DS style games is a mistake. Gameloft is doing some incredible work pushing the iDevice's abilities, but do I _really_ want to play a CoD style shooter on there? Not so much. SANDSTORM is a good game, but when it's iPhone gametime (in the WC, in line at the post office, or somewhere that I can catch a quick game), I find myself always going for the "snippet" games or turn-based titles like UNIWAR (which is _great_)or REIGN OF SWORDS.

- I think shmups are actually a great genre for mobile games that aren't really being exploited enough. SPACE INVADERS: INFINITY GENE is _awesome_. The TYRIAN port may be my favorite iPhone game. Touch controls work a charm for these games.

- Online gaming with a mobile device, I dunno. It's really not that important to me. I played some KIL.A.TON online a couple of times, but more often I just play solo. I don't think at this point that multiplayer really adds that much to most mobile games.

- Board games on mobile devices- yes please. It's the perfect format. And I do think it's important to see recognizable, licensed titles. I'd much rather see a game that I already like show up in the app store or on the DS than something untested and untried. There's a lot of Eurogames that I'd love to play on the iPhone, but I would probably never play in RL.

More
28 Sep 2009 00:57 #42923 by The Expanding Man
imho mobile phone game designers need to make the most out of the limitiations of the medium - screen size and an interface not specifically designed for gaming.

More
28 Sep 2009 10:14 - 28 Sep 2009 10:16 #42945 by ubarose
The other market for mobil phone games, other than the iPhone, is kids. All the middle school age and up kids that I know have cell phones. They use their phones to play games on the bus ride to and from school (which can be up to an hour long in some places). They use their phones rather than a handheld, because most parents don't allow their kids to bring their handhelds to school, because those plus the games cost big bucks, but phones or cheap or free (my kid's phone cost us $10). However, these games aren't going to get online play, because parents aren't going to be paying for data plans for their kid's phones.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2009 10:16 by ubarose.

More
28 Sep 2009 12:28 - 28 Sep 2009 12:30 #42971 by ChristopherMD
If they can do Civilization and SimCity for the iPhone then I want Masters Of Orion II or a very similar 4x game. Its one of the few that I would put on the same list as Civ and Sim so its kind of a crime it hasn't been done yet. The convenience of handheld is ideal for turn-based micro-management games, imo. Would love to see Romance of the Three Kingdoms someday as well. I just don't have time to sit at my PC for that stuff anymore, but plenty of time while commuting or whatever. I know this isn't a call for ideas outside of what you're already working on, but really those are the only games I'd buy at this point. I already have plenty of pick-up-and-play short games.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2009 12:30 by ChristopherMD.

More
28 Sep 2009 12:46 #42976 by Michael Barnes
Turn-based strategy games are _perfect_ for iDevices. And yeah, a MOO-style game would be terrific. X-COM, JAGGED ALLIANCE, HOMM...those are games that would translate well.

I could also see a STAR CONTROL-style game working very, very well.

The ability to play at leisure really enhances turn-based games, I think. I'd much rather play one on a mobile device at this point, I can't imagine doing it on a console anymore.

More
28 Sep 2009 13:38 #42984 by Black Barney
jspoto wrote:

Hello F:AT -

I wanted to extend a question to the F:AT community regarding online/handheld games. I'm regularly impressed by the quality of material that is often posted here, and have much respect for the views (and gaming tastes) of many users.

As a small software developer, we are strongly committed to support the communities we develop for, and are actively seeking input and feedback. Unlike many larger companies, this can often have a major impact on the titles we choose to develop, and how we support them after release - something that larger companies aren't generally as equipped for, or interested in, doing. Given the common interests in titles, F:AT has the distinction of being the first source I've considered tapping.

And so I ask: F:AT, what kinds of titles, and features, would you like to see on your handheld platforms?

Specific game ideas, ports, or translations aren't as useful as what kinds of features you're interested in. Things like:

* How do online/mobile games play into your "free" gaming time?
* What kinds of features are of interest? Solo? Multiplayer? Massively Multiplayer?
* How important is the social aspect of online/mobile gaming?
* How important are online ports of physical (board game) titles vs. originally conceived experiences?

To reiterate, this isn't a call for ideas - we've got many in different stages of development. This is a call to help us understand how to develop the titles we're interested in bringing to a handheld or online console near you.

We're currently ramping up on some new projects, and this is as good a time as any to ping well-respected sources like F:AT.

I'd love to hear any feedback you all may have, and thanks in advance,

- js

Hi, I have a PSP (wish I had a DS in some ways) and have been video gaming for about 20 years.

I'm glad you ask because I feel like the real potential of handheld gaming has not been fully explored yet because the wrong types of games (read: shooters) are being made for handhelds when other types are better suited for this type of gaming platform. Now, i'm no marketing expert so I can't tell you what will sell the best but I will respond to your questions from my own viewpoint as a F:AT community member.

How does mobile gaming fit into my freetime? Anytime you have downtime outside of your main gaming room (TV room, etc), it is potential for mobile gaming. For me, it's the bathroom, the commute, lunch breaks at work or anytime I have to wait for my wife or anything else (Haircut, airplane, whatever).

What kind of features? For me, only solo. I have no interest in multiplayer. I think multiplayer mainly appeals to younger children who have friends who have the same games and the same platforms.

The social aspect is unimportant.

Online ports of existing board games are very important. I can't explain how much, for me, i would INSTANTLY buy an online version of a board game I love to play. New board games are appreciated as well but existing and proven gaming mechanics that are ported is very much sought after for me. I mean, i don't even like Carcassonne but still instantly bought the game on XboxLiveArcade.

that being said, I think that if you make games that appeal to F:AT users and like-minded individuals, I find that video game reviewers KILL you in their reviews. For some reason, they seem to hate our types of games. On the DS, i was happy to see turn-based strategy (as close as you can get to board gaming without being an online board game) games get good reviews, even GREAT reviews. The PSP seems to be another matter.

Best of luck and I look forward to hearing more of your software development and such

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds