October 09, 2023
2579 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2776 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

BAYONETTA Buzz

More
26 Nov 2009 09:31 #47989 by jeb
BAYONETTA Buzz was created by jeb
I'm a firm believer in the Cult of the Somewhat Delayed, so I may manage to hold out, but I'll be damned if BAYONETTA isn't pushing my BUY BUY BUY buttons something fierce. Look at this shit:

That's some GOD OF WAR style action right there. If this has decent platforming, I'm on this like pixels on the screen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2009 19:12 #48039 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:BAYONETTA Buzz
I played the Japanese demo a month back or so.

The game is basically a new Devil May Cry. Not much platforming. The action and special effects are completely over the top, and it most of the charm. It was fun, and I might pick it up cheap. The plot is pure deranged anime looniness.

More
26 Nov 2009 20:21 #48045 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re:BAYONETTA Buzz
moofrank wrote:

I played the Japanese demo a month back or so.

The game is basically a new Devil May Cry. Not much platforming. The action and special effects are completely over the top, and it most of the charm. It was fun, and I might pick it up cheap. The plot is pure deranged anime looniness.

It's funny I was also thinking DMC but mixed with Final Fantasy in terms of summoning a big-ass monster to do mega damage.

More
26 Nov 2009 21:30 #48047 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Re:BAYONETTA Buzz
I'm pretty sure it's made by the same team as Devil May Cry.

More
27 Nov 2009 12:19 #48081 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:BAYONETTA Buzz
The game is definitely from the Devil May Cry team. And you can pretty much file it as Devil May Cry 4 (5?)...but with a freakishly bizarre character design.

You see, those aren't monsters she summons. That is her hair. Which also envelops her body--so she is wearing her hair as clothing....except during the special attacks.

Oh...and there are pistols in her stiletto heels. And she wears weird magical butterfly glasses.

This game comes from Japan.

More
27 Nov 2009 14:54 #48091 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re:BAYONETTA Buzz
moofrank wrote:

The game is definitely from the Devil May Cry team. And you can pretty much file it as Devil May Cry 4 (5?)...but with a freakishly bizarre character design.

You see, those aren't monsters she summons. That is her hair. Which also envelops her body--so she is wearing her hair as clothing....except during the special attacks.

Oh...and there are pistols in her stiletto heels. And she wears weird magical butterfly glasses.

This game comes from Japan.

HA! So true.

You'd think Uba would be all over this for those deadly shoes alone. :P

More
27 Nov 2009 15:00 #48093 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re:BAYONETTA Buzz
alright! alright! I've added it to my 360 wish list:

Xbox360 Games (in order of preference)
1. Street Fighter IV
2. Assassin’s Creed 2
3. Forza Motorsport 3
4. Qubed
5. MTX vs ATV Reflex
6. Bayonetta
7. DeathSmiles
8. Saints Row 2

More
27 Nov 2009 17:20 #48101 by moss_icon
Replied by moss_icon on topic Re:BAYONETTA Buzz
man, console games. weird shit.

More
27 Nov 2009 18:37 #48106 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re:BAYONETTA Buzz
I don't think I'm gonna buy it, but it will be on the top of the gamefly queue when it drops. I love how they seem to have decided that they wouldn't be holding anything back in terms of crazy weirdness.

More
27 Nov 2009 20:40 #48112 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Re:BAYONETTA Buzz
Matt, how is the turnaround time on Gamefly these days? I quit a couple years ago but I'm considering going back. I was hoping Blockbuster would eventually offer this service but they never did for some reason.

More
27 Nov 2009 23:54 #48118 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re:BAYONETTA Buzz
Turn around is decent, not as fast as netflix, but they have this thing now where some post offices can scan in the envelopes as soon as they get it so they know you sent it back and they'll send you your new game then. I'm lucky that it seems my post office does it so I do pretty well.

I have been pretty pissed that lately it seems I only get stuff from far down my list (though a friend who lives right near me seems to keep getting his top thing every damn time). I still think it's worth it as there are so many games that I want to play, but are really only once through kind of things for me (at least until enough years from now that used they will be like $5). Something like the first Assassin's Creed, I had a lot of fun with it when I played through it, but have had no desire to play it since I sent it back. I'm kinda impatient with games so I like to play stuff close to when it comes out rather than waiting a couple years for it to get cheap so it saves me a lot. Even at a slower sort of pace, if I do a game every month (or even two) I'm still ahead.

More
03 Dec 2009 14:50 #48922 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:BAYONETTA Buzz
OK, I just played the BAYONETTA demo on Xbox Live, here's what I think about it.

WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED.

It's not weird like a Suda 51/Grasshopper Manufacture game. It's weird in that it's like the Japanese just said "fuck it, let's just go balls out crazy". More than that, they actually let it all go WAY into camp. You turn into a butterfly, a giant high heel squishes bad guys, you make a guillotine out of hair and kick an angel in the ass repeatedly before it decapitates him. She walks with a runway sway and strikes a pose every time you stop. At one point I picked up a tuba and started beating this angel up with it. The first demo level is a fight on a falling clock tower. The guns say "Scarborough Fair" on them and there's something about parsely and sage as well. I couldn't keep track of everything going on at once in the frame It's nuts, and I'm not really sure what I just witnessed.

I know one things for sure, if ever there's going to be a "gay cult classic" video game, this has to be it.

Gameplay-wise, it's about like DEVIL MAY CRY, GOD OF WAR or any other modern Japanese beat-em-up. There appears to be a TON of combos and styles of attacks, then there's the torture attacks, witch time, and all this other stuff. It's very fast-paced and frantic, but the second demo level has a little exploration and walking around. I felt like the fighting was definitely more of a button-mashing thing and really kind of a few steps back from what was in ARKHAM ASYLUM.

I'm not sure about it so far. It looks fun, and cool, but I don't know if it'll necessarily be any good in the long run, at least to warrant a $60 launch day purchase.

More
03 Dec 2009 14:58 #48927 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Re:BAYONETTA Buzz
This just hit the 'to rent' category real quick.

More
03 Dec 2009 15:51 #48940 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re:BAYONETTA Buzz
if it's button-mashing, i want none of it. But isn't GoW button mashing too and that's fun?

Dante's Inferno looks VERY button-mashy but also looks amazing.

and let's be clear before I get it, that I said it was my most wanted game BEFORE Barnes labelled it as a gay cult classic so I don't want to hear any of it.

Can't wait to try the demo. The trailers matched what the demo sounds like. it was really weird and all over the place

More
03 Dec 2009 16:00 #48944 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:BAYONETTA Buzz
Oh, I like a lot of gay cult classic stuff, don't be ashamed Barney.

DANTE'S INFERNO actually looks more interesting to me as far as this style of game goes.

I do think BAYONETTA will get high marks in review though, it is pretty unique overall. But I think it's DEFINITELY going to be a style over substance thing. It's a great style though, at least from the limited view I've seen of it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds