October 09, 2023
2598 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2792 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

VASSAL for playtesting?

More
14 Dec 2009 12:04 #50187 by Jason Lutes
So, I've never used Vassal but it sounds like a pretty cool app. Has anyone here ever made a module for it? How labor-intensive is it? I'm toying with the idea of making a module for Thrilling Tales of Adventure for playtesting purposes, but I wouldn't want it to "fall into enemy hands." Is it possible to password protect modules, or something similar?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2009 12:09 #50190 by southernman
On the "enemy hands" issue - as far as I know the module doesn't have to be on the website to be played, just on the client PCs. And not even an issue for PBEM.
So just get everyone to sign your apocalyptic NDA ;-)

More
14 Dec 2009 12:57 #50204 by vialiy
Replied by vialiy on topic Re:VASSAL for playtesting?
For playtesting, I think you would be better off with Cyberboard. IIRC it includes a module editor. VASSAL automates some stuff and is suited for live online play, while CB is completely dumb, just a map, counters and dice, and strictly PBEM.

More
14 Dec 2009 13:03 #50205 by JoelCFC25
vialiy wrote:

VASSAL automates some stuff and is suited for live online play, while CB is completely dumb, just a map, counters and dice, and strictly PBEM.

That's not strictly true--VASSAL supports semi-automation if a module designer has the programming chops to build it in.

You'd probably be fine with either, although Cyberboard would preclude the possibility of including non-Windows users from your playtest group*. VASSAL supports more (and better quality) image formats, if that's an issue.

* (yes, technically you could probably run it on a Mac if you had Parallels, the point is, there are a bunch of hoops to jump through to run it if you don't have MS Windows)

More
14 Dec 2009 13:35 #50212 by Bullwinkle
You can password protect modules. Dan Verssen's Hornet Leader 2 VASSAL module contains the base game and all the expansions, each of which need a separate key to unlock. If you don't have any of the keys, you only get the demo material. It's an efficient design. It could probably also allow you to give individuals their own keys, so if a module gets out there with a password, you'd know whose it was.

More
14 Dec 2009 13:51 #50216 by Jason Lutes
Thanks for the tips, guys! I'll look into it more.

More
14 Dec 2009 14:10 #50224 by metalface13
JoelCFC25 wrote:

vialiy wrote:

VASSAL automates some stuff and is suited for live online play, while CB is completely dumb, just a map, counters and dice, and strictly PBEM.

That's not strictly true--VASSAL supports semi-automation if a module designer has the programming chops to build it in.

You'd probably be fine with either, although Cyberboard would preclude the possibility of including non-Windows users from your playtest group*. VASSAL supports more (and better quality) image formats, if that's an issue.

* (yes, technically you could probably run it on a Mac if you had Parallels, the point is, there are a bunch of hoops to jump through to run it if you don't have MS Windows)

VASSAL is a JAVA application, so it runs on Macs as long as you have Java.

More
14 Dec 2009 14:14 #50225 by JoelCFC25
metalface13 wrote:

VASSAL is a JAVA application, so it runs on Macs as long as you have Java.

Absolutely, but I was referring to Cyberboard with that note... :)

More
14 Dec 2009 14:21 #50227 by JoelCFC25
Jason, I haven't designed any modules, but I have looked through the guts of a couple trying to figure out how they work. On a basic conceptual level, you need all the art to load in the game board(s) and pieces. Then you might define a grid and tell all the pieces where they are located at the game start, optionally give them labels, and define all the right-click context menu options (send something to the dead pile, flip it over, move it somewhere, etc) and their associated keyboard shortcuts.

I'm not sure if there's a module design FAQ or anything, but check the VASSAL forum and see if you can find anything.

More
14 Dec 2009 17:05 #50242 by Notahandle
JoelCFC25 wrote:
" You'd probably be fine with either, although Cyberboard would preclude the possibility of including non-Windows users from your playtest group*.
* (yes, technically you could probably run it on a Mac if you had Parallels, the point is, there are a bunch of hoops to jump through to run it if you don't have MS Windows)"
Boot Camp would also do the trick because it is a Windows machine. Depends whether you want to reboot just for one program though.

I just wish any/all of the online gaming systems were a lot more user friendly.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds