October 09, 2023
2587 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2784 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

AT gamers vs. AT games

More
25 Feb 2010 05:42 #56456 by OldHippy
I was thinking about why I prefer the commentary here over BGG and about the differences between At games, Euro's, abstracts etc... and some things occured to me.

1/ I like Euro's as well as AT games (and many other types)

2/ Can AT sometimes be the difference in gaming philosophies as well as the difference in the games themselves? The way that we approach gaming is different to say a JC clearclaw way to approach games. The focus being on fun and on the social enterprise of the game experience itself, embracing of the nostalgia and childish factors involved in gaming, trying to keep pretension out of gaming... these are some of the things that attracted me to the "AT movement" (whatever the fuck that means!). People over at BGG still to this day argue about whether AT should even be a term (too late for that), but it means something to a lot of people and like anything of this type... the monster grows on it's own.

Running with this idea. Can you have an AT style approach to any game. One guy I game with for example told me that the way the robber is handled in Settlers is VERY different with us then it was with his old group. Over there they just moved it about willy nilly, normally focusing on the leader, whereas we are much more revenge driven and you always think twice before putting it on someone's property. We make deals like... "I know your in the lead but I won't put this robber on your nice 8 brick if you hand me a couple of resources."... he said that his old group would never try that stunt. When we play it is very interactive and fighting is common. Threats are made, like; "I know your thinking of sticking that robber on me but I'm warning you... I have three cards just sitting here and if you do... you will pay!"

I don't think I have a three.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2010 06:04 #56457 by panzerattack
No matter the game, whether it be Pillars of the Earth or Twilight Imperium, there are a number of phrases that you can almost guarantee will get bandied about by my group:

"You shall drown in rivers of blood!"

"On my command - unleash hell!"

"Take one for the team!"

And more specifically for me:

"Dammit! Why does everyone pick on me?!"
"Because you attack everyone!"

More
25 Feb 2010 10:00 #56468 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Re:AT gamers vs. AT games
[the computer i'm on is not behaving...apologies if this post appears more than once]

MattDP wrote an article on this topic, but I can't find it (I spent a few minutes trying to do a search, but then I gave up).

More
25 Feb 2010 10:24 #56471 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:AT gamers vs. AT games
I do think there's a lot of truth to the AT gamer thing--you can play AT games with a certain type of gamer and have a shitty experience. However, I think that having some level of AT game that is a necessary condition to that social experience. To give you an example from last weekend, I played Hansa Teutonica, a fairly miserable abstract euro. Even if I had been playing that with the most AT crew ever we couldn't have had a great experience with it. Settlers is an interesting one because it does have some AT characteristics--the robber provides screwage and the trading is direct interaction, in addition to direct competition for routes and roles.

More
25 Feb 2010 10:44 #56473 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:AT gamers vs. AT games
I'm an AntiJC gamer. Yeah, I like the ring of that.

(Except for Die Dolmentgotter, I liked that one)

More
25 Feb 2010 10:58 #56474 by Space Ghost
I think this is true too -- we play Ticket to Ride with a vengeance.

The most pure "Screw You" game ever has to be Aggravation. You just move around trying to land on someone else's marbles -- there really isn't strategy or luck or theme. When my grandma lands on your space: she will smile, slowly pick up your marble, hold it up to her face like she is inspecting a gem, and then just set it on the table and slowly roll it towards you. So yeah, I think a lot of it is just an AT attitude.

More
25 Feb 2010 11:20 #56476 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:AT gamers vs. AT games
I'd have to agree with everyone else here. You can have fun playing a Euro but it has to be with the right people. the attitude is key. Games are supposed to be fun not some mental test to show your mental superiority over eveyrone else.

More
25 Feb 2010 16:07 #56493 by Matt Thrower
Hatchling wrote:

[the computer i'm on is not behaving...apologies if this post appears more than once]

MattDP wrote an article on this topic, but I can't find it (I spent a few minutes trying to do a search, but then I gave up).

I did indeed. It was titled "The Ties That Bind" if I remember correctly - search on that and you should find it.

This is a topic that interests me but I'm not sure I can add much that's not in the article.

More
25 Feb 2010 17:45 #56501 by BradHB
Replied by BradHB on topic Re:AT gamers vs. AT games

embracing of the nostalgia and childish factors involved in gaming

Don't miss this point here. With AT gamers, there seems to be this self-awareness that what we're doing isn't high art - it's just dicking around and having fun with your buddies. Eurogamers tend to want it all to be taken seriously. AT gamers want something interesting to play with their friends. In musical terms, an Eurogamer will lecture you on modern jazz - an AT gamer will rock out to GWAR, and love it because it's GWAR.

My AT gang probably could have a fun time with Euros...but I just don't see it going down that well. We'd probably have a bash at bean-trading, and then the next week we'd be back on Arkham Horror, Descent or Champions of the Galaxy.

There's an article here that I wrote a while back on the importance of simplicity and fun in gaming, and the dangers of overcomplicating it: www.emotionallyfourteen.com/2009/11/why-...-campaign-sucks.html

More
25 Feb 2010 18:33 #56510 by volnon
Replied by volnon on topic Re:AT gamers vs. AT games
I agree 100%, JonJacob. It's all about attitude.

There is a certain atmosphere you can expect when AT players get together- much more imaginative, crazy, and in-your-face gaming.

At a Eurogamer's house, about the most aggressive thing that could occur on game night is who gets to sniff the wine cork first - IF they are even serving liquor!

More
25 Feb 2010 18:59 #56511 by moss_icon
Replied by moss_icon on topic Re:AT gamers vs. AT games
BradH wrote:

With AT gamers, there seems to be this self-awareness that what we're doing isn't high art

i am not sure i'd call it self awareness, because that kind of thing is super euro-ey, all self analytical and shit. that's why they take it so seriously. i guess i am just not a fan of self awareness - get on with being yourself without wondering why.

AT gamers should just throw all caution to the wind. lets play a fucking game! don't even stop to think about it. WE'RE ROLLING.

More
25 Feb 2010 19:54 #56513 by ChristopherMD
One man's fun is another man's analysis paralysis.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds